The Dark Mod Forums

Can't see rusty key

Fidcal

I'm having a hard time seeing a rusty key in my mission even though I know where it is so the player won't have much chance. In addition, the frob highlight is also almost indistinguishable. I thought I'd see if I could boost the frob highlight then at least if the player looks somewhere near it should glow in the dark. But I lost the trail searching for the material. I've looked in key_simple_01.ase, bc_misc.mtr, door_related.mtr, door_related.skin but can't determine the material.

Which key and which skin are you using exactly? key_simple_01.ase?

The model key_simple_01.ase is using the bc_keymetal shader (defined in keys.mtr) by default.

There is a rusty skin defined in door_related.skin, namely key_simple_rust, which replaces the default shader with the key_simple_rust shader.

The key_simple_rust shader is also in the keys.mtr material file.

No they have their own dedicated materials file and they are all in there so I suppose it is intended.

Earlier I boosted the highlight and it definitely makes it better - though I overdid it so will have to experiment. When I've done I can commit it but I think there a few materials that need changes. For instance by comparison the frob highlights of the light wood shutter doors in Den where quite bright compared to say the dark crate skin. I think most are probably OK but a few need adjusting.

Yes, this is a task that needs doing...many highlights are not bright enough, especially on fairly light-coloured objects.

OK, I've now increased the frob highlight on the rusty key from 0.15 to 0.20. I was surprised it only needed a little. I just followed a friendly AI in ambient light and with the lantern on and in both cases the frob highlights clearly yet discreetly.

I've now increased the frob highlight on the wbottle. But this may need more consideration because the label/cork are overbright but the dark glass highlight is barely visible. Most views you can see the label or cork though.

Maybe we need a different blend type for the frobhighlight here. Something like this:

{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   gl_one_minus_dst_color, gl_one
	map		 models/darkmod/props/textures/wbottle01_d
	rgb		 parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   add
	map		_white
	rgb		 0.05 * parm11
}

This should increase the brightness uniformly by adding _white*0.05 and pronounce the darker bits by blending with gl_one_minus_dst_color.

Oh, while I'm thinking of it...can we confirm yet whether both "if" statements are needed for the froblight? I remember there was some disagreement about that.

Yes, that makes it highlight uniformly - though the value was too high. I put in

rgb 0.001 * parm11

and it's about right. I'd like to have seen it slightly lower just to be sure but it won't go any lower than that. Maybe use a grey instead of white? Anyway it is far better. thanks. Breaks my trap though. Have to reduce frob distance methinks.

Oh, while I'm thinking of it...can we confirm yet whether both "if" statements are needed for the froblight? I remember there was some disagreement about that.

It mostly depends on the texture you want to highlight. I can imagine that many materials will do with a pure blend add using a _white*0.4 texure, but some (like the winebottle above) require both, one to increase the brightness, and one for the detail/contrast.

Going through this and judging it is probably a (admittedly boring) job of a texture artist or ambitioned mapper, I guess.

I'd like to have seen it slightly lower just to be sure but it won't go any lower than that. Maybe use a grey instead of white?

You mean, lower factors than 0.001 won't make any difference anymore? If that's the case, switching to a grey texture might do the trick, but this would have to be uploaded as separate file. The _white is built-in, but a grey texture is not there, as far as I know. Not a real hinderance, just saying.

Playing around with the blend equations might also produce better results.

Yes, that's right. I kept lowering it and lowering it by a factor of 10 until I realized it was making no difference anymore. Then I raised it back till it did.

I'm experimenting with a plain grey for a fog sky. I'll do some tests later.

Have now committed a new mid grey texture and modified the wbottle highlight to use it. The frob highlight is now both uniform and more subtle.

It references the grey texture directly :

map		textures/darkmod/misc/grey_mid
	rgb		 0.03 * parm11

The new misc textures folder might be useful for odd textures that don't fit standard categories.

Right-click-drag the file to the destination folder and choose "SVN Move versioned files here". It's important to use the RMB. Then commit. Then remove the misc/ folder and commit that too.

I can move it for you as well, if you want me to.