The Dark Mod Forums

Stealth based TC for UT3

DigitalNapalm

Indeed we all hope the best for Nightblade, it has always been a promising project. :) They are more focused on multiplayer, whereas Dark Mod is focused on single player

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I think we're all aware of Nightblade here...but the question on everyone's mind is ....what's happening? Updates are nill. I monthly update would be nice.

I wasn't aware of Nightblade :)

For news, see here, updated last May: http://www.night-blade.com/news.html

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

There was something in the darkest corner of my brain about nightblade, but I didn't know they were using the unreal engine 3, which has a damn lot of potential, that I hope they will put to use. Is anyone here, who has a copy of UT3? You can download an alpha version on the homepage and I'd like to see some screenshots... :)

There was something in the darkest corner of my brain about nightblade, but I didn't know they were using the unreal engine 3, which has a damn lot of potential, that I hope they will put to use. Is anyone here, who has a copy of UT3? You can download an alpha version on the homepage and I'd like to see some screenshots... :)

I've played the alpha on a currently up and running server.

Well, just installed Nightblade and tried it out. Apart from the ported Thievery assets it starting to take shape, which is a good thing. Admittedly I had hoped for a map from Nightblade of UT2004 (those looked really good) but I guess for an early alpha playing Darkened Enlightenment is not bad.

Sneaking worked well, I like the touch of opening a door quietly when crouching or sneaking.

Frobbing was a bit binary - when you moused over the object it went fullbright immediately. IMO this should be a smoother transition.

Movement seemed fairly good, just some minor problems with mantling from a rope but other then that worked well.

AI models are not bad, animation needs tweaking imo and also the game speed needs to go way down. I had to enable the slomo mutator to get the guards' walk anim to look like they were walking.

Now for the important part - the gameplay. I don't know if it is going to stay this way but I truly love the fact that the thief no longer can go on a bloody rampage with his broadheads and sword. It really stopped me from playing Thievery online when I went and all the thieves ignored trying to sneak carefully and just killed everything in sight like it was a deathmatch.

Right now the thieves start off with a blackjack (which KOs silently - good that it is this way now, loud BJing was useless), water arrows and vine arrows (really rope arrow). Therefore, no running at guards with a sword hacking them to death.

The guards currently start off with a sword, normal bolts, and tag bolts (which let out blue glowy smoke and light the area, thus revealing thieves etc and tagging them when hit). This means that the thief must rely on his sneaking prowess rather then mow things down.

I am going to try play against my bro in LAN tonight when he gets back from uni (around 9pm - it is 2:30pm here atm). I'll fraps some of it and cut it tomorrow morning and then upload it here so people can see it first hand.

Overall, it still has some ways to go, especially considering swapping engines from UE2 to UE3, but if it stays this way (sneaking oriented gameplay rather then deathmatch ala Thievery online) then it is definitely something I'd love to play online. Otherwise if it is decided to have the thieves be able to kill guards etc then I guess I'll have to keep to LAN. Either way, great work so far guys, congrats and good luck :) I sincerely look forward to playing this in V1.0.

Wow, those gameplay changes sound like great news!

I guess when me and my bros play Thievery, we are blissfully ignorant of the killing exploits available to the Thief in Thievery, we always play it like classic Thief :)

Yep, same with me and my bro, but it would be nice to be able to jump online and play it with people who don't try to exploit as much as possible.

Ok, it's cut up and I'm rendering it now. I'll plop it up on youtube or something, will post link when done.

Overall it was an enjoyable match, but there are still issues, namely the thieves are invisible way too easily - ie: when the gem is relatively lit up, the player model is still invisible.

Annoyingly, FRAPS screwed up the last 15 or so min of the match, so vid is 26min long. Note that I needed 1000 gold to be able to finish the map, I got all 1500 by the end, as it made it more interesting.

Also, by default the map starts off with a 15 min timelimit - I upped this in the editor to 40 for a proper Thief-like match. When I had escaped at the end of the match with the full 1500 loot, I had 3 minutes left lol.

Oh, forgot to mention that about 15min into the game or so my bro managed to kill me haha.

EDIT: Forgot to say that there were no AI in multiplayer (a bug I assume), so it was literally me being thief and Tom being guard.

I'm going to play again tonight, but this time Tom will be the thief and I'll be the guard. I'll fraps it again.

Was just browsing through the BCG forums, and stumbled upon this:

Thanks to everyone who showed up. It was some fun games, even with the bugs and glitches.

The biggest thing I took away from the test was how hectic and twitchy the game is at the moment. Playing as a thief didn't feel like a stealth game, with running around on rocket boots being a better tactic than sneaking. So I'm looking into ways to make the game more strategic and thoughtful, both as a way to enhance the differences and character between the thief and guard sides, but also to make the game more accessible to people who traditionally enjoy stealth games.

Thank god.

I only played Thievery a few times way back when... I remember hating it due to the deathmatch-style game it seemed to be just about all the time. Maybe I just picked bad servers?

In any case, I hadn't heard of this yet and it sounds like a great improvement. From what I've read it does indeed sound like it's in good hands. When it gets closer to release I guess I'll actually have to buy UT3... Same way I begrudgingly bought Doom 3 for TDM and Into Cerberon.

Edited by Inimitable

Wow. :blink: Thanks for that. It's clearly rough/WIP so there's no point in bemoaning that. But looking beyond that roughness, that was pretty damn exciting. I imagine one thief and many guards would probably be even more so. And it says a lot for the case of AI being more human and less robot. Semi-random patrolling, anyone?

That guard needs a bow, though. And the thief, a way to detect traps (at least, I think that's what kept blowing him up...).

It's cool to see another "version" of thiefy gameplay out there, cool.

(although that video is so compressed it hurt my brain and I had to skip through and end early)(plus freakin crap-tube can't do proper full-screen, HELLO remove the annoying bright white bar from the bottom of the screen!)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif