Jerboa would like to assist

Jerboa

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is the in-game shots. I had to scale it by eye. I think it sits around 9to10' tall.

I'll pack this version for sending. If needed it can be tweaked/resized.

Wow, that looks great! The only complaint I would have is with the "brand-new" look but I am sure this can be easily tweaked with a skin.

(The Dark Mod is moody, dark, gritty and often there are run-down and poor areas, so having a guilliotine looking like it came fresh assembled from the fabric would make it look out of place :) But that is just nitpicking.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

It's usually the mapper types that look at things and go, "where are the nails?" (believe me, I do this in all games whether I want to or not).

Yeah, definitely, it can really spoil things when you look at some model and say "huh that looks wrong". The trick with modeling is to create easily believable models with little polygons - they might not be realistic in the sense that they would really be build like that in the real word, but they need to look like that :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

It's very nice. There are a few areas that texture could be improved, but it's a decent prop. Once you have access to our texture repository, you'll have a lot to choose from.

It's not so much the saturation (though that's a part). It's also more subtle things like the size of the woodgrain, the stretching of the texture on the longer boards, etc, and just the general resolution of the texture (which looks pretty low res in those images). The normalmap on the rope is also far too strong.

Here's a pic of a similar model to yours, just to show how much a good texture can do:

post-9-1219353271_thumb.jpg

Ah, much better! :)

The only remaining thing that bugs me is the rope wrapped around the beam at the bottom. It doesn't appear to have any definition to it.

ok, I found my next project =). A bench and a basket. That small area where the rope ties off, was a problematic area for me. I did a bump and smooth, when I should of just used a few toruses instead. I would have to re-work the model to fix that.

A decent normalmap and texture would suffice. I can have a look at it if you like.

About the bench and basket, be aware that we already have versions of both those objects. Nothing wrong with have other versions, but you should check out what already exists.

That might be good for a newly-used one. After anything more than a couple hours and the blood would soak into the wood, becoming much duller and partially transparent.

Capable work and done very quickly, I like. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Here is a more old weathered version in-game shot.

That looks much better and great! The only small complaint I would have is the mirrored texture around the hold - it is obviously mirrored. Maybe you could just shift one by some amount to make it less obvious :)

Here is the final optimized version. I made it wider, shelled out the toruses on the tie off and added a different skin. All ends and hidden pieces have been deleted. The poly count is sitting at 1926.

This one is good to go, packed and ready for sending.

post-2294-1219429917_thumb.jpg

Here is the final optimized version. I made it wider, shelled out the toruses on the tie off and added a different skin. All ends and hidden pieces have been deleted. The poly count is sitting at 1926.

This one is good to go, packed and ready for sending.

Nice, is the other skin still included? Also, it looks like the rope-rounds at the bottom are not "smoothed" (but I am no modeller and can't tell for sure :)

Anyway, great work!