The Dark Mod Forums

Jerboa's Models

greebo

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the naming convention yet but it would be best to stick to names that are easy to understand if at all possible.

We went through a huge reorg of this kind of stuff so it would be good to follow.

3_chair01 (obviously wasn't working) but it really doesn't mean anything to anyone except probably you.

Better would be something like

chair_wood_triangle_01

first start with what it is so it is listed in furniture with all chairs.

then what it's made of, so all wood chairs will list together.

then specific details. this one is uniquely triangular.

the a number such as 01, 02 IF you plan to do more like it. If not the number isn't needed most likely.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, what Baddcog said about the names.

The chair mesh looks good--I was going to model that myself but never got around to it. The texture looks like it could use some work though. It seems a bit weak and non-detailed atm.

It looks good that you can see the woodgrain now, though it doesn't go the right direction in many spots. Also, the wood colour is very saturated.

The 45 degree angles are posing a challenge on getting the grains to sit right

Can't you just rotate that part of the uvmap?

Here is the end result of the rest of the polishing in 3 flavors.

That chair looks mighty uncomfortable, tho....

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Here is the picture it was modeled after. If you want it padded I can do a version of that as well.

No, I was more refering to the tiny seating space in a triangle shape and with the two wooden "stumps" sticking out. It is perhaps some sort of decorative chair, not meant for seating?

(Or you seat people on it for a meeting, thus ensuring the meeting will be very short :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The grain on the chair still looks a bit off. If you compare it to the original, you can see that the wood grain of the back support should not go up and down, but rather horizontal.

What textures are you using for that? We have lots of really good wood textures that I think would improve the appearance.

I think that original chair is a 'reverse seater'. Hoenstly it looks like something you might sit on backwards and actually lean your chest against the top brace. Maybe some weird positioning for an obscure job???

I agree with the wood grain comments. Wood things are built along the grain as much as possible. It's alot stronger that way. If a chair was built how your grain runs then the corners of that top piece would break off really easily. It's also easier to get bends in wood along the grain.

Another thing about the grain. It's inconsistant between pieces. Most likely this chair would be made from one 'batch of wood' so it would have the same grain size pretty consistantly throughout the chair.

But yours has small grain on small pieces and large grain on large pieces.

So I've got a trick for ya ;)

This is something I learned not too long ago that I'd never thought about doing. Already I have found it useful. Usually I'm pretty good at scaling my uv's to match the size of the actualy areas but this is fool proof and if you apply it to your chair you'll see what I mean.

Make a checker board texture. Just black and white textures.probably 16 pixels per square for a 256 or 512 tex.

Now apply that to your model. Are all the checkers on all parts of your model the same size? If so good job, if not you have 'bad pixel density'. Basically some of your model will be higher resolution than other parts. This can look pretty bad in game, especially with noticeable things like wood grain or bricks that are really easy to see. But even on characters when their body is pixely and their head is smooth.

Alot of great modellers actually use this tex first and do the uv's. Once they are satisfied they move on to working with the actualy texture.

You can even take it a step further and try to match the same pixel density on all of your objects. (This is much easier said than done, especially on a team project with many artists). That way everything in game would match really well. Probably impossible with Dark Mod at this point, probably impossible with any group project, maybe possible with an in house game dev IF they set that in motion from the start.

Still, having the pixel density even on a per object basis is 75% of the battle imo. At least that way when you look at specific props they match themselves, any surrounding objects can be written off easier as differences in surface properties, etc...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

re: shape of chair. A brief search will show a lot of medieval chairs were extremely uncomfortable-looking.

Here is a result of a of the 1st link listed in the compass category.

Is that an "E" for "east" at the rightmost marking? It looks like it's the "right way up" for an E in the picture, but all the other letters are not the "right way up" (which is correct, I believe, since it means the letter is the right way up for you when you're holding the compass and looking in the direction that you want to gauge). Judging by the NW/NE markings, it's just that the "E" character in that font looks really weird. It's more like a W to my eyes. What's with that font? :)

It's a good design overall AFAICT, though it's hard to be certain without seeing the sides and back.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Here is a closer view of the compass face.

Edit: and an in-game shot.

Due to the size of the compass in-game its abit difficult to see the lettering. But I did do a step back and a small re-work on the texture cylinder for a better blend. Here is a side shot and the texture. Please feel free to make any artistic adjustments on any models produced by me. Plus your crits are valuable to me.

post-2294-1221666644_thumb.jpg

post-2294-1221667429_thumb.jpg

post-2294-1221671708_thumb.jpg

post-2294-1221671742_thumb.jpg

Someone was working on a lute in the public forums but I don't know what happened to it.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.