The Dark Mod Forums

Jerboa's Models

greebo

Doh, wish I would of known that there was an existing one. I'll check the repository 1st from now on.

We also have a model website, though it's not 100% up to date.

http://www.tjoff.com/jens/darkmod/gallery/...m.php?albumID=3

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The meathook looks fine. :) It probably can be reduced a bit more but it's ok.

As a rule of thumb, it's probably best to create a shadowmesh for everything above 100 polys. And for all models small enough to be considered moveable, a collision mesh is needed too, which should be as simple as possible (not more than 16 polys, iirc).

Btw: refresh my memory, was I going to instruct you in terms of SVN or didn't we talk about that yet?

Dunno about SVN, its conflicting w/paintshop. I was thinking of using total commander or cuteFTP for uploads. I just need to re-aquaint myself with them.

Why could SVN ever conflict with "paintshop"?

According to Wikipedia, the last version was release in 2007 - at least the "Paint Shop Pro", dunno if there is a "non-pro" version :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_Shop_Pro

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Also, I was researching fish and found this site with existing models. The disclaimer allows conversion and use. I checked the models and with a little work they can be reduced to around 700 to 900 polys. Or the textures could be used on a freshly made low model.

Here is the site: http://toucan.web.infoseek.co.jp/3DCG/3ds/FishModelsE.html

That website is a nice find. Wish I had found it before making our current fish model. :)

Anyway, we can always use a few different fish models. That one is a good start, though it looks like the normalmap is reversed? (the gill seems to stick up rather than being a depression). Also, I think the tail could use a few extra polys.

That website is a nice find. Wish I had found it before making our current fish model. :)

True :)

We could also use some decyed fish (bones with some small bits and pieces still hanging on), fishheads, etc. Basically, litter. Having a fresh fish in perfect condition doesn't fit into the 3D (dark, dirty, decayed) atmosphere of TDM :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

We could also use some decayed fish

True.

Having a fresh fish in perfect condition doesn't fit into the 3D (dark, dirty, decayed) atmosphere of TDM

Most people prefer to buy at least reasonably fresh fish from the market, rather than bones with small pieces of flesh hanging on. ;)

Most people prefer to buy at least reasonably fresh fish from the market, rather than bones with small pieces of flesh hanging on. ;)

With no real cooling, the fish wouldn't be fresh after a long day, anymore :)

True, it wouldn't look like a troll gnawed on it, but it wouldn't look like polished, either :)

Anyway, I didn't mean the current fish doesn't fit, what I meant was that it is of limited use unless we get iceblocks as models, too. Which is actually a good idea - in one of the castles here I saw a big room hewn into the rock, where they put straw in and then in the winter added ice from the lake so they had fresh ice blocks to keep stuff cool over the summer. They stored a few tonnes of ice there every year in the medivial times - the water from the melting ice dug deep lines into the rocks under the door :o

Well, we do have alot of dock props so I can see the fish being caught and hung fresh that day.

Also, this is steampunk. T2 had working fridges, why not Darkmod. In fact it was well accepted and alot of FM's had them too.

The side fins on that fish look upside down to me.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Working fridges seems like a stretch to me, but using blocks of ice in a cellar to keep food cool was fairly common before electricity. Making ice more resistant to melting seems like the kind of subtle magical effect that even untrained mages could handle--I imagine keeping the cold cellars frozen is one of the 'drudge jobs' that house mages are given by their noble patrons.

Idea, how would you feel about something along the lines as an old fashioned wine press. Like so, illustrated below. Remodeled and with different textures of course. I could go as low as 168 or up to 422 polys. According to how detailed you want this. If this would be something of interest. Let me know and I'll get started.

Also, below is a sextant at 1311 polys. This detailed object can be re-made to a lower poly rating as well.

post-2294-1220456666_thumb.jpg

post-2294-1220456680_thumb.jpg

Working fridges seems like a stretch to me, but using blocks of ice in a cellar to keep food cool was fairly common before electricity. Making ice more resistant to melting seems like the kind of subtle magical effect that even untrained mages could handle--I imagine keeping the cold cellars frozen is one of the 'drudge jobs' that house mages are given by their noble patrons.

True, we can use magic :) However, putting big ice blocks into heaps of straw and store them underground (or even in a cellar) works much better than one thinks (heh, it worked for months for the real world in medival times :) so we might just model this somehow.

Jerboa: Nice ice texture! We already have some crystal/glas materials set up with transparency etc, so we could use that texture to enhance them to create real ice blocks.

The wine press is cool, although I think mostly wood would be better. Would be cool to have the actualy threads normal mapped onto the middle part.

Would also be cool to leave the handle as a seperate obj, then it could be scripted to spin. Either just for interaction or goals like 'make a glass of wine'

The sextant would be a great nautical tool. The center arcs could be a flat plane alpha/normal mapped on one poly. I think it could also have the same amount of detail and be nowhere over 250 polys.

That's the problem of sourcing models from internet. They can have a rediculous amount of wasted polys for no reason.

Like I said, you should use 1 triangle (alpha'd) for the middle part. That's shave alot of polys and with a normal it won't look flat. It'll also make all the lines look like they are carved in (They should be on the radius also so the pointer lines up on angles).

Look at the old style wall lamps. The fancy shaped steel in the brackets is a flat plane but in game they really look 3d.

About the fridge: TDM has electrical devices as pumps and turbines, so why not a refrigerator? All a fridge uses is a compressor and a few pipes to keep working.

Because refridgerators were invented quite late and are thus "more modern" than most stuff in TDM.

Even if I repeat myself here: :D If we can't include round doorknobs (because the 15xx models are "too" modern looking :), we shouldn't include fridges that were invented quite later.

Especially not when "ice houses" or Springsheels "magic" idea are perfectly working and fit the setting much better. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refrigerator

The first known artificial refrigeration was demonstrated by William Cullen at the University of Glasgow in 1748. Between 1805, when Oliver Evans designed the first refrigeration machine that used vapor instead of liquid, and 1902 when Willis Haviland Carrier demonstrated the first air conditioner, scores of inventors contributed many small advances in cooling machinery. In 1850 or 1851, Dr. John Gorrie demonstrated an ice maker. In 1857, Australian James Harrison introduced vapor-compression refrigeration to the brewing and meat packing industries. Ferdinand Carré of France developed a somewhat more complex system in 1859. Unlike earlier compression-compression machines, which used air as a coolant, Carré's equipment contained rapidly expanding ammonia. The absorption refrigerator was invented by Baltzar von Platen and Carl Munters in 1922, while they were still students at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden.