The Dark Mod Forums

Jerboa's Models

greebo

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neat!

The lighting looks a bit strange... as if the lute is being rendered fullbright. Is that just because of the map you used?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

@Jerboa: I added the perfume and chair model to SVN (no moveables yet). I did not add the compass yet, because it has no collision mesh in it. People would expect such a small item to be moveable when they encounter this model in the map. Also, the backside of the compass is missing, so it's "hollow".

Anyway, the chair and the perfume are looking good, I'm going to look into the lute now.

A dear friend gave me an idea of a period fire pot from the movie troy. Here is how it is rendering so far in-game. We would love to see this with fire coming out of it possible.

Just go into DarkRadiant, right-click into the orthoview, choose Create Entity, head to darkmod > Light Sources > light_torchflame and position the light on top of the model.

However, is there something wrong with the texture? It appears to be very bright for an in-game shot, is this a diffusemap only without a normalmap?

Man, that really is terrible lighting in that room for displaying models.

I'd recommend putting in 1 ambient light (shader is ambientlightnfo, light has a colour of about 0.06,0.06,0.06) plus two or three ordinary point lights, with a greyish/yellowish colour.

I can give you my local testmap for your models, if you want me to.

I don't see any problem with the idea of it, though I'm not sure players will know exactly what it is. :)

I'm guessing you're referring to the shaman staff model and using this pic as reference, right?

Needs more gnarliness and to look more threatening. It looks like a grinning cartoon snake atm. Also, it looks like it's supposed to be made out of detailed wood - the source image has no green snakeskin. Anyway, most snakeskin is actually not green. :) Brown and black snakes are more common. Green tree pythons are one of the few exceptions.

This really needs a normal map to get the detail you want in the skin. Ideally it needs to be sculpted as a high-poly model first and then projected onto a lower-poly model to get the normal map. Which is a more complicated but very valuable skill.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Anyway, most snakeskin is actually not green. :) Brown and black snakes are more common. Green tree pythons are one of the few exceptions.

Don't forget the green and yellow 6 foot bullsnake I had to bunny hop on my mountain bike one time ;)

I was actually suprised at the vividness of it's colors, I had only seen brown ones before. It was by the South Platte river close to Denver, Co.

But I do agree, it's too cartoony and doesn't look much like the concept. Even the shape of the top in the concept is really 'loopy', yours just has a curve.

But I kindof think the ref image is slightly cartoony, but more menacing.

I actually think it would be best to give a good shape of the head in the wood. Then make gold teeth or something like it's valuable and a craftsman made it. The white teeth make it look plasticy.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Re-worked the staff yet again by angling the head down so the eyes will show on a frontal view. Thinned out the staff for a better grasp. Cleaned the textures abit by using precious to semi precious materials such as gold, jade and fire opal. Here is how it renders in-game.

post-2294-1222441646_thumb.jpg

post-2294-1222441656_thumb.jpg

post-2294-1222441664_thumb.jpg

post-2294-1222441671_thumb.jpg

post-2294-1222441681_thumb.jpg