The Dark Mod Forums

Saint Lucia Briefing

Springheel

I've created a short little briefing gui for St. Lucia. It's currently missing one image, but that will be added shortly. Hopefully NH will be able to record some vocals for it, but I think it could still work even with text.

I'm not entirely sure how to call the gui from the menu gui, but I'm hoping it's fairly easy.

I'm uploading what I have to guis/map/saintlucia.gui

I've created a short little briefing gui for St. Lucia. It's currently missing one image, but that will be added shortly. Hopefully NH will be able to record some vocals for it, but I think it could still work even with text.

I'm not entirely sure how to call the gui from the menu gui, but I'm hoping it's fairly easy.

I'm uploading what I have to guis/map/saintlucia.gui

Yup, I'll have the briefing recorded. :) I'm pushing full steam ahead, cleaning the files is a bit time consuming...but I'll get it done.

@Springheel: I updated the main menu and merged your briefing GUI into the existing files. I had to tweak the code a bit to get it working, but all the files are in SVN now.

You should be able to start the briefing by clicking the "Start Mission" button. Note that the mod/mission selection screen has been disabled for the time being.

Let me know if it works. You might have to set the contents of the "StartingMap.txt" file in your darkmod folder to "saintlucia", but I'm not 100% positive about that.

• 2 weeks later...

I implemented the briefing texts into the main menu GUI, anybody feel free to check this out.

@Tels: can you take check that all these files get included in the manifest. There are a few files (in guis/assets/briefing/saintlucia) which need to be added.

I implemented the briefing texts into the main menu GUI, anybody feel free to check this out.

@Tels: can you take check that all these files get included in the manifest. There are a few files (in guis/assets/briefing/saintlucia) which need to be added.

Here is the diff, manifest created just a minute ago vs. the one from yesterday. AFAIK the door sounds were added yesterday and removed today. No idea why, probably the door shader changes?

/te@te:~/.doom3/darkmod_org$ svn diff devel/
Index: devel/manifests/saintlucia.txt
========================================
===========================
--- devel/manifests/saintlucia.txt      (revision 6829)
+++ devel/manifests/saintlucia.txt      (working copy)
@@ -1,7 +1,7 @@
#
# This file was generated automatically:
#   by devel/extract-assets.pl v0.57
-#   at Sat Oct 11 11:37:13 2008
+#   at Sat Oct 11 19:40:32 2008
#   running under Perl v5.008008 on linux
# Any modifications to this file will be lost, instead modify:
#   devel/manifests/base.txt
@@ -642,6 +642,16 @@
./guis/assets/briefing/nextpage.tga
./guis/assets/briefing/prevpage.tga
./guis/assets/briefing/saintlucia
+./guis/assets/briefing/saintlucia/briefing_text1.tga
+./guis/assets/briefing/saintlucia/briefing_text2.tga
+./guis/assets/briefing/saintlucia/briefing_text3.tga
+./guis/assets/briefing/saintlucia/briefing_text4.tga
+./guis/assets/briefing/saintlucia/briefing_text5.tga
+./guis/assets/briefing/saintlucia/briefing_text6.tga
+./guis/assets/briefing/saintlucia/briefing_text7.tga
+./guis/assets/briefing/saintlucia/briefing_text8.tga
+./guis/assets/briefing/saintlucia/briefing_text9.tga
+./guis/assets/briefing/saintlucia/image1_relic.tga
./guis/assets/briefing/saintlucia/image2_statue.tga
./guis/assets/briefing/saintlucia/image3_messenger.tga
./guis/assets/briefing/saintlucia/image4_builderguard.tga
@@ -3103,15 +3113,12 @@
./sound/sfx/world
./sound/sfx/world/doors
./sound/sfx/world/doors/door_locked_01.ogg
-./sound/sfx/world/doors/door_locked_02.ogg
./sound/sfx/world/doors/door_locked_03.ogg
./sound/sfx/world/doors/door_locked_04.ogg
./sound/sfx/world/doors/door_open_1.ogg
./sound/sfx/world/doors/door_open_3.ogg
./sound/sfx/world/doors/door_open_5.ogg
-./sound/sfx/world/doors/door_open_7.ogg
./sound/sfx/world/doors/door_shut_1.ogg
-./sound/sfx/world/doors/door_shut_3.ogg
./sound/sfx/world/doors/rock_door_loop.ogg
./sound/sfx/world/doors/rock_door_start.ogg
./sound/sfx/world/doors/rock_door_stop.ogg

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yes, that's fine, all the texts and the new graphic is included. Thanks.

Cool, and it was all automatic :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I'm uploading the briefing vocal tonight.

Let me be the first to say: COOL! :wub:

Yes, this is excellent now and although I still think the overall length is too long for some to take in the whole story and for those eager to start playing, the speech does hold the focus and make it easier to follow for those whose minds wander or who are slow readers. The background ambient music also sounds louder to me. Not sure if that's true but now it is more a part of the atmosphere whereas before for me it often faded to being inaudible.

Yes, I increased the background music volume on purpose. I also think it's about 20-30 seconds too long, but we'll go with that - no way I'm going to change the briefing all over again, except for bugfixing.

Installed new patch today.

Started briefing, got to screen where relic shows then click mouse to go straight to Objectives screen. Then I clicked the Back button. I could now still see the relic image and the earlier street image coming up behind it. The text was in sync with that. This happened even if I Esc from the Objectives back to main menus and use Start Mission again. Later I think once the relic image faded it was OK. So it's just not clearing the last image sequence.

While testing this I got a lockup but Task Manager said still running. It was just loss of focus and I could pull up taskbar. When I went back to click TDM then it was OK.

As I said before, I had every kind of problem with the menus in the Saint Lucia package. When I went back to the main SVN I had no problems. Now I am playing the Saint Lucia again with the new patch and soon hit a problem. Started the game and shortly after went back to tweak the gamma/brightness. Then Esc failed so I couldn't get back to the game. Went to main menu and could see it but could also see the credits scrolling through. Plus I noticed the main menu had 'Start Mission' on it. In the console I could see game map shutdown so I couldn't resume the game. It still suggests to me a difference between the two installs.

I could copy over my doomconfig but that I think is bad practice as new players will get the default config. And could it have any effect on the guis anyway?

I'm not convinced everyone is testing on a new clean Doom install and starting with a default config as I am. Sneaksie is but he is I believe, just moving the darkmod folder out. Don't know if there is anything in the doom folder that might affect anything.