The Dark Mod Forums

Vista Explorer columns and search

Fidcal

After 'upgrading' to Vista a few months ago I kept finding Explorer folders with variations in the columns. No matter how often I set them and click the Folder Options 'let all folders be like this' it made no difference and I kept getting useless columns like tags and others that are of no use to me. Then I found if I click the drive properties there is an option to set all folders the same so now it seems OK. All I want is name, date modified, and size. Ah! but try doing a search. Vista seeks and it doth find but it doesn't tell you where doth found! D'oh! It seems to rely on you having a folder column showing in all your folders so you know what folder you are in when you select a folder in case you don't know. :angry:

Any solution?

Then I found if I click the drive properties there is an option to set all folders the same so now it seems OK.

I didn't know that, and it's been annoying me to have the folders displayed differently. So thanks. :)

Unfortunetly I cannot offer any advise advice on the search issue. It's probably one of those things where Vista knows best what you want. Seems to be a lot of them :(

Any solution?

Get rid of that steaming pile of crap? I'm just about to finally remove it from my laptop, even though it sounds like a major pita to do. :angry:

Except now I can't find out how I did it. :blush: I know for certain I had this trouble virtually daily until I set this option on all drives. But I can't see it in properties. And if you select the drive itself then go the route menu > tools > folder options etc the button is feinted out.

@Springheel: Yes, I've been sorely tempted to go back to XP but now its more hassle than its worth. Possibly the only thing I've gained is 64 bit useage and I'm uncertain what exactly I've gained. I lost more than I gained.

@Jesps:

This is what it may be (though I daren't try it!)

Select the drive in the left folders list (the panel on the left)

Set the columns how you want them in the panel on the right.

Make sure you haven't got any of the folders in the right panel highlighted. (switch to another drive and back if need be.)

Click the Organize button at the top left (or tools menu) and select folder and search options

View Tab

Apply to Folders

If you risk try that, I'd be interested if it actually works. :laugh:

And in case you were wondering, no, the 'search options' do not include a ' find files but don't tell user where' option.

This time I searched, and with the results showing I created a folder column. Then I cleared that and repeated and this time it showed the folder column again in the search.

Then I went to a different drive and repeated the above. This time I got Date taken, tags, ratings, other crap plus LARGE icons so it didn't use those columns anyway! I give up.

• 3 weeks later...
This time I searched, and with the results showing I created a folder column. Then I cleared that and repeated and this time it showed the folder column again in the search.

Then I went to a different drive and repeated the above. This time I got Date taken, tags, ratings, other crap plus LARGE icons so it didn't use those columns anyway! I give up.

Easily fixed, just install XP :P

I'll be keeping my XP install + Ubuntu studio on one drive, and as soon as Win 7 comes out, it goes on my newer drive. I really want to keep XP so I've got compatibility with games like Thief, System Shock, C&C, and older.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair