The Dark Mod Forums

Pretend you're a newb

Springheel

I know there was a thread earlier about recommended tutorials, and I'm going to be using that, but I also could use some help with something else.

Pretend you're a newb who is relatively familiar with Thief, but has never done any modding or mapping before. You show up at the TDM website with an interest in trying your hand at modding/map-making. What would be the first FIVE steps you would recommend such a person take?

1. Browse to the A-to-Z beginners guide and grab the Startpack for new mappers.
  2. Learn about Visportals and how to build with them in mind as they are the holy grail of successful TDM map building.
  3. Create a sketch of your map and a basic storyline, as its far easier to work from that than doing it on the fly.
  4. Keep your first map small and manageable, as starting off too big tends to end in tears.
  5. Don't be afraid to ask as many question's as you like, as we all had to start somewhere.

1. Work through Fidcals A-Z Beginners Guide to mapping
  2. Play around with the editor to strengthen your basic skills in using it, open up small FMS in DR to see how they are done
  3. try to build a very small mission (5-10 rooms)
  4. improve it's look by reading through articles refering to patches, particles, etc... and ask in the forum if you don't understand something
  5. for your first mission it may prove useful to make an alphatest, so you can get feedback on the early stages in mapping

All in all I think mapping is like driving a car. You can learn the basic skill from tutorials or explanations, but in the end it's all about patience and practise.

• Like 4

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Thanks for this thread. I'm actually thinking about creating a mission atm, but the main reason holding off is actually my laziness. :unsure: The editor looks very complex (as it should be obviously), and the momentum to start learning it is just not there atm. Anyway, i'll at least read a bit of the A to Z beginners guide, maybe that gives me a little kick in the bottom to get started, as actually i already have a (imo) pretty good idea for a mission. :)

Edited by chk772

The editor looks intimidating because it's like being handed graph paper with the instructions to be an architect, but it's like playing with Legos or a dollhouse. Just drag out a box, click the button to make it a room, then right click to insert models to furnish it. Doors are a bit trickier, but the A-Z breaks it all down nicely, go ahead and do it! :-)

• Like 1

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Another thing to add to the lists of 5 above - place an AI to make sure you're getting the scale right!

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080