The Dark Mod Forums
duzenko

Convert normal maps to RGTC?

Now that we have upgraded the renderer to GL3.1 it makes sense to convert normal map tga's to DDS's.

Not only RGTC is better than DXT in quality per compressed megabyte of VRAM but being pre-compressed it will also load faster at map start.

I think we can automate conversion using the integrated DDS writer.

• Like 1

Would like to see how it looks on unwrapped models with baked averaged normals. AFAIK, you need blue channel in those for proper interpolation between model topology (faces normals) and baked normalmap to fake smooth edges.

You're unlikely to see any difference

You can force RGTC already in 2.07 with image_useNormalCompression 2

I'm talking about converting the existing bump maps in TDM assets on the file level

I only tested on the 2.08 exes that Duzenko made available to test, and on those it works, I see no visual difference (with one exception, see below...) nor performance difference with normal map compression 1 or 2, what I see is a huge reduction in GPU memory usage, with it off the scene I was on was using 1389 MB of VRAM with with on either on 1 or 2 it fall down to 878 MB, that's the difference between a older 1GB GPU being able to play the game well or not, on mine GPU that has 8GB of VRAM I could, right now, very well play with compression off.

... with RGTC enabled the water in Volta 2, at the beginning, looks even more broken, now it shows a reflection with the colors totally messed up, man that water shader does need to be reworked.

p.s I tested on 2.07 now and it worked, what i did was start Volta 2 went in-game and only there change the svar, on the menu I saw no difference, I assume that most be because the menu does not use any normal maps. 

Edited by HMart
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, HMart said:

p.s I tested on 2.07 now and it worked, what i did was start Volta 2 went in-game and only there change the svar, on the menu I saw no difference, I assume that most be because the menu does not use any normal maps. 

Sorry about that. I plan to fix other things first. Worst case it might have to wait till the beta phase

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VanishedOne said:

Just to check: will image functions like addNormals() still work on the compressed normal maps? (They don't work on DDS images.)

Right, no load-time processing for pre-compressed images

I guess we could exclude textures used by addNormals, etc from conversion

6 hours ago, duzenko said:

Right, no load-time processing for pre-compressed images

I guess we could exclude textures used by addNormals, etc from conversion

Or better off, bake those functions into a new texture and save it as a DDS