The Dark Mod Forums

Models with issues

Baddcog

I noticed a few objects with missing shaders. Decided to go through all objects and look for issues. (These are all in TDM 1.0 release)

Most of these are shader/skin issues.

musical/grammo3.ase is missing a shader (grammo2).

Fixed, was missing an editor image.jpg

kitchen/

beer_stein02.lwo and beer_stein02_open.lwo missing shader (beer_stein)

couldn't find shader in materials

architecture/buildings

wooden_shed.lwo

Appears invisible in editor, missing object?

architecture/doorframes

door_frame_curved_96x48.lwo and 96x96.lwo

currently using 'ns' (no shadow skins), need to switch to shadow skins.

door104x56.lwo

skinnable doors converted to lwo from ase now have messed up uv alignment on lower hinge (2 hinge model)

probably not worth bothering with, 99% of the time will be hidden inside doorframe, against wall anyway.

architecture/fencing

justice_wall_fence2.ase

Missing shaders (textures/darkmod/gleeful/decals/fence) and (textures/darkmod/stone/brick/grey_protruding_bricks)

irongate.ase and irongatesegment.ase

Need taller versions, if I get Max 5 working in W7RC I will make taller versions.

ladders/

ladder_16steps.ase

ladder_1steps.ase

ladder_2steps.ase

ladder_32steps.ase

ladder_3steps.ase

ladder_4steps.ase

ladder_8steps.ase

could use more skins, rusty vers. For shader (textures/darkmod/metal/flat/simple_rough_grey01), can probably just add model name to other skin files.

windows/

window_wood_80x3s.ase and 40x36.ase

need door defs for openable windows.

containers/

basket(see kitchen cookpot skin).lwo

weird name, no model in browser, do we need? Maybe just reference, seems odd.

texture (on brush and broom)

bc_straw2

I need to fix tiling

statues/

statue_gargoyle.ase

gargoyle_rough_grey_dark skin missing (gargoyle_rock_grey_dark)

gargoyle_fetus_pose.ase

need to fix shadow mesh

cup_marble_shiny skin missing (textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white_01)

norman_shield.lwo missing shader

( textures/darkmod/metal/flat/nontiling/steel_scratched01)

longbanner.lwo missing shader (skin banners/bannerblank)

(textures/darkmod/fabric/cloth_coarse_cream_dirty

could use more skins, brass/copper/etc.. for

doorhandle_curved_01 .mtr

models:

handle_curved_rotate.ase

handle_curved_rotate_2.ase

handle_curved_rotate_double.ase

could use more skins, brass/copper/etc.. for

tdm_door_knocker_simple .mtr

models:

handle_ring.lwo

fix uv map

lockbox_02.ase

missing shader

tdm_skull

(skulls on spear models)

fireplace_arch01.lwo

missing shader (default)

bench_set01.lwo

very bad/noticable uv mapping on top back and front

clock_wall.lwo

missing shader, I think its models/md5/gfclock/gfclock

candle_skinny...

tdm_candle_lit, bc_candle_lit, tdm_candle skins need fixed. For lit, unlit versions.

candlestand_macabre_small.lwo

missing shader (I believe its : textures/decals/splat)

lionhead_amulet

missing shader (tdm_blackheart_amulet)

models/darkmod/loot/goblet2.lwo

could use more skins to replace tdm_chalice_gold

cheap metal, wood, etc...

moss arrow, missing shader at tip

candlestand_macabre_small.lwo, candlestand_hornedskull01 02 and 03, chandelier_6candles,

chandelier_6candles_longchain.lwo's

: all use an old 'flame texture' instead of no tex for particle attachment. Either need to have those planes removed, nodraw substitued for it, or an alternate nodraw skin for the flame.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

beer_stein02.lwo and beer_stein02_open.lwo missing shader (beer_stein)

couldn't find shader in materials

I just fixed these yesterday.

bench_set01.lwo

very bad/noticable uv mapping on top back and front

Do you have a screenshot?

• 2 months later...

If you're referring to the inside of the helmet being see-through, I'd say this is no actual flaw. Those helmets (nearly all are see-through on the inside) probably have been created with the intention of being used as actual headgear instead of decoration, so it would be ineffective to create inside polygons. They wouldn't be visible and would still have to be rendered. It would be nice though to have some complete helmets for decoration.

You're saying they're see-through? Are you sure? I thought for sure I'd made movable versions with cms and everything.

• 5 months later...

architecture/buildings/tudorinn02.lwo

cool model, but very small. I'd say it needs sized up by 2.5 times so the door is correct size for player.

Maybe it was intended for skybox, but with the skybox bob issue I don't think we need skybox stuff anyway.

Either way, we should have a 'regular' sized version, and if deemed neccesary a small version for skyboxes. However skybox models should be about 1/16 th scale. (I really hope we get that bob issue solved).

On that note

House04.lwo seems a little too big, the door is pretty tall satnding next to it. Maybe a 10-15% reduction in size would be good. But at the same time it's probably liveable as is.

wooden_shed.lwo is invisible, shows no verts, no tris,- should probably be removed.

--------------

fixed

furniture/seating/stool_square.lwo

Noticed while playing a mission, the tops of the legs shadow mesh doesn't intersect with the seat shadow. So sitting next to a lowlight/fireplace shows gaps in the shadow.

Actually, it has no shadow mesh, I can see in the editor the mesh itself has gaps. Would probably be good to fix those AND add shadow mesh.

cool model, but very small. I'd say it needs sized up by 2.5 times so the door is correct size for player.

It's for backdrops.

I can see in the editor the mesh itself has gaps

Fixed.

I remember mentioning this before, but it must have gotten bumped away into the corners of the forum.

But the nice chandelier we have:

chandelier_6candles

chandelier_6candles_longchain

Have built in flames on the candles which you CANNOT remove. I dunno why they are there.

Same with:

candlestand_hornedskull01 02 and 03, and candlestand_macabre_small

Those are lwo's, there are a few and Spring would be doing the work so up to him.

I don't think anyone has used them yet as is...

So the flame planes could either be removed, or we could just make a new skin for each with nodraw in place of the flame tex. Not sure if we have those set up as entities with attach flames yet either.

Added to list in first post.

Baddcog, while you are here:

models/darkmod/nature/flowers/lily_small.ase

models/darkmod/nature/flowers/lily_tall.ase

These lilies have the wrong type of leaves, lily leaves should be very long and slender. Could you please have a look? :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Well, there are alot of things in the mod that could classify under that type of 'issue'.

When I modeled them I just picked and existing leaf tex from darkmod and used it. You could always make a new skin but I'm not gonna remodel.

I'm no botanist and I don't really think it matters.

I'd rather redo a model that is too low poly, or fix one with gaps, or just make a new one. That's really what this thread is meant to be, find issues with models that look bad in game or have issues that NEED dealt with ;)

Well, there are alot of things in the mod that could classify under that type of 'issue'.

When I modeled them I just picked and existing leaf tex from darkmod and used it. You could always make a new skin but I'm not gonna remodel.

Already did a new skin, but thought you might have time to change the leaves.

I'm no botanist and I don't really think it matters.

I'd rather redo a model that is too low poly, or fix one with gaps, or just make a new one. That's really what this thread is meant to be, find issues with models that look bad in game or have issues that NEED dealt with ;)

Sure enough. I am working on fixing this issue myself, anyway, but that will take a lot of work (and a lot of time :), remodeling the leaves would solve it in the meantime (and in case I get overrun by a bus). But as I said, if you don't have time, fine. ;)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

It wouldn't hurt us all to brush up on modeling more so that tweaking models becomes second-nature and quick and easy to do.

What's funny about those posts, anyway, is that I was just thinking about using those lilies for a special purpose, and how they looked was a little part of the equation... But I guess you'll hear about that later. :ph34r:

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Well, I just wanted to note that I don't think the model needs changed, but chaning the leafs or having an alternate skin is fine.

I looked at the link Tels posted in another thread and a texture should fit and look correct on the planes that are there (just needs a good normal map).

Acutally modelling leaves in the shape of real ones (a v-channel) would increase the polys alot, and I think they are already around 800.