The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex 3

Unstoppable

I didn't go as I live in Miami, FL but people that went are ecstatic. They can't talk about it because of the NDA but what they saw they said was stellar. Check out the forums for threads with info

http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=252

I have linked some of them for you.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=98263

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=98268

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=98265

Deus Ex 3 is setting itself up nicely. It will hopefully crush the naysayers!

2009_DX3_Wallpaper_nostalgia_by_teknikal_vision.jpg

I nearly started to cry when I saw the reviews of Splinter Cell Conviction1 and reading that the developers of hitman 5 will go into a different direction this time really gave me the rest. All big franchises are turned into money-making unambitious consumables, so I guess I'll keep on saying nay, sorry!! :)

1The HUD actually points out good hiding places with bright arrows and it marks the spot where the enemy has lost line of sight with a full-sized bright model of the agent. Also you can kill all enemies in a room with one button click, which they call a "feature".

The HUD actually points out good hiding places with bright arrows and it marks the spot where the enemy has lost line of sight with a full-sized bright model of the agent. Also you can kill all enemies in a room with one button click, which they call a "feature".

:o

When are developers going to start to realize that loyalty is key, and loyalty doesn't come from spoonfeeding players (new and especially old). Nor does it come from 'streamlining' features, rebranding with 'edgy' subtitles, or forcing restrictions on use.

Or maybe I'm just getting old. Can't force myself to care about this. I haven't bought a new 'big title' in years, and spend what little gaming time I have only on indies (e.g. M&B ), freebies (e.g. DDO), and community developed software (e.g. TDM and Thief FMs).

Depends. Look at Modern Warfare 2... The Halo series, the NFS series. Their mediocre games with masses of fanatics who swarm around them which makes tons of sales. They basically dupe themselves into thinking the game will and is great because their so excited so the developers are technically developing in accordance with loyalty.

You and your Deus Ex posts. :laugh:

Laugh now but we shall see who laughs last! :laugh: As for Thief 4 it's too early for them to say anything. Also don't expect that Deus Ex 3 will necessarily cater to the masses. Sure they will follow some trends like Regenerative health but it will be strong on it's roots.

They are hiring by the way if any of you are interested in moving to Montreal, Canada.

Unstoppable, back in action. We didn't hear from you for a bit there...

Or maybe I'm just getting old. Can't force myself to care about this. I haven't bought a new 'big title' in years, and spend what little gaming time I have only on indies (e.g. M&B ), freebies (e.g. DDO), and community developed software (e.g. TDM and Thief FMs).

This is pretty much what I've come to too.

Even the last two "mainstream" games I bought and played -- IL2 1946 and Mirror's Edge -- are themselves pretty peripherial (though completely awesome!).

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Speaking of my favourite first-person platformer, Mirror's Edge 2 is confirmed as being in production. Now there's a sequel I can get excited about ahead of time. :D

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Yep. And it can't be "watered down" by any of the current trends in games, or "console-ised", or anything like that, because it already has those trends and still manages to be awesome with them. :P

I'm hoping they'll shave off some of the rough edges (which the original definitely has), maybe make it less frustrating. Hopefully get rid of those silly Quicktime events. It'll be interesting to see which direction they go with the combat.

Hmm, you know, I should play that game again. B)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Hmn, I didn't notice any rough edges... It was all perfect for me, especially because of the advanced movement techniques like the initial momentum trick, the three-step-rule and quick-mantling with one foot on the edge resulting from a perfectly timed jump, instead of pulling you up with both hands (Check 'em out on youtube if you don't know them). The game is not frustrating if you avoid fighting completely and concentrate on fast movement, even on hardest difficulty. There are only a couple of scenes where you actually have to kill some enemies. 

But well, I played the game so much that I can't really remember whether it was frustrating in the beginning. Maybe to me it wasn't because I spent so much time in the timetrials...

I think the controls and timings need to be a little more forgiving, because I did find them frustrating. (The combat didn't actually bother me too much. It was fairly tactical, and the slo-mo Reaction Time feature meant the timing wasn't a problem.) The fact that you're talking about advanced movement techniques means you'll probably disagree with me on this!

Actually, I think simply being able to use Reaction Time at arbitrary times and for arbitrarily long periods of time would basically solve 90% of the issues I had with it. Sounds like cheating I guess, but I'm more interested in the tactics (and, OK, the feeling of superiority without actually having to train first :laugh: ) than the timing precision. People who are into the timing precision could disable Reaction Time for the time trials. There could be separate leaderboards so it's not unfair. It'd be great. :)

Sure. That's why I'm saying have a "hardcore mode" with its own special leaderboard etc., where the cool hardcore kids can hang out and show off their highly-trained l33t timing skillz, while the rest of us can cheat with Reaction Time, stick to our own little kiddy pool, and pretend that we're really good. :P

This just in way out of left field. It appears Deus Ex 3 will be a PC exclusive. Let me say it again. Deus Ex 3 will be a PC EXCLUSIVE. What, you can't hear? A PC EXCLUSIVE.

I doubt this news story however so don't hold your breath till I find official confirmation from Eidos. Here is the story.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/11/25/deus-ex-3-is-eidos-and-square-enix-joint-ef/1

What I did find out from the official response is that the game is being made primarily for the PC first. If it is ever done for consoles it will be ported over. So far the only announcement is that it's a PC title. That's the official word from Eidos Montreal forums.

Hmmm, where have I heard that before?

Oh thats right, Operation Flashpoint devs said the same thing too. Infinity Ward also came up with 'This is the single biggest development we've made for PC...' bullshit when they released the matchmaking system they named IWNet. Turned out they pretty much lied straight to everyone faces because it was basically just a console port. I wouldn't hold your breath over a PC exclusive; you can count on your fingers the number of PC exlusive games released in 09, and most of those would be either MMO's or strategy games, neither of which work well on consoles. If there were FPS's then they were made in Russia/Eastern Bloc or were 'indy'. Pretty much only the PC version of Dragon Age kept up with its dev's retoric.

Again its not necessarily a bad thing thats it destined for consoles; and if they break the trend and actually make it for PC first then for consoles it might be really good. But tbh i can't see it fitting with the nature of the industry today, and more than likely it will be the other way around, made for consoles first and foremost.

Edited by SplaTtzZ

Also it is much more time consuming to port from PC to console, than the other way around, because of all the limitations on consoles, like RAM etc. So it is very uneconomic. From console to PC you basically just have to recompile and sort out the controls... :D If there is going to be a consoleversion of the game, you can expect the game to be developed mainly for the console for that matter.

Maybe it's just that they can't commit to specific consoles right at this moment since their intended release date might coincide with the release of a new generation of consoles.

For Thief 4 I kind of doubt that they'll be released for PS3 and 360.

I guess that leaves the problem of guessing what future specifications to develop for. Maybe they get insider information from Sony and Microsoft. I'm not sure how that works.