The Dark Mod Forums

Bikerdude: - questions

Bikerdude

Also I did also wonder about the 'difficulty 1' on WS, so can I assume that I just remove that arg from WS in the release map..?

Yes.

Thanks Fids/Stumpy - if Gmans method dont work then I will fall back to this one.

It'll work. Make sure you refer to the attached map if something doesn't work for you.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

figured i'd post here as this is related to the imminent release of biker's latest fm.

We/I need somebody to write, or a pointer to an easy tutorial/wiki page on how to modify .gui files. essentially i need a stone background that doesn't suck for a somewhat lengthy readable(s). the existing guis just dont cut it, based on background texture, font size/type etc.

I could take a shot at this but I need more details. Please pm me. I need to know the following:

•  
  • Select a stone/rock texture from existing textures.
  • Select an existing TDM font. I can simulate etching to some extent. Suggest light direction.
  • Select approximate font size in lines per screen or mockup an image with a blank background and any font, eg, ariel, to show the size you have in mind.
  • What style, ie, two page book, scroll, sheet, stone tablet, full screen stone.
  • Is it multi-page? If 'lengthy' then I guess multi.
  • If multi then any idea how to indicate page turning? eg, dog ears on books and sheet, scroll size on scrolls won't make sense in stone. An arrow carved into the stone?

need to sleep on this, i'm tired as hell. short answer is "lengthy" does not mean multipage, in fact it wouldn't make sense to be more than 1 page. but the font sizes i remember in the currently available stone gui's were... large. so, a smallish font 1 page gui, need to get back to you on the rest.

and i don't know what you mean by light direction. is that seriously pre-specified by the gui...? kinda figured they were all omni-directional compatible.

The light direction only matters if eg, the player is looking at a static inscription on a rock wall with a fixed light coming from say the right. So if I made the etching highlight on the wrong side it would look strange.

Or is the writing meant to be written on in chalk? soot? blood? I'm guessing blind here. I need all the info you can give me.

Question:

What the work around fore the open one issue with the chest/footlockers..? One of my testers tell me that the atdm:froblock class is whats causing the chest and footlockers to only open/close once and then never open again for some people.

did I read someone ages ago that Fids came up with a fix to this..?

Question,

Why cant I added a moveable entity model to my inventory despite setting the arg, "Equippable" "1"

The model entity in question is the bone arm (models/darkmod/graveyard/bones/bones_arm_left.ase)

ie even tried using the "atdm:moveable_custom_item" but then all i get is a collsion error when running the map command.

Edited by Bikerdude

Biker that moveable_custom_item looks like you need the collision model according the wiki:

• You can use the clipmodel of a similar sized model that does have a cm. To do this:
    • Add the property clipmodel and give it any name eg, xxx
    • Select it in the list in entity inspector.
    • Click the Choose Model button at the bottom of entity inspector.
    • Select a suitable model. Note that this is trial and error unless you have prior information and the chances of finding a suitable model may not be great. Example:
      • Use the model models/darkmod/mechanical/gauges/gauge_round.ase
      • Give it clipmodel models/darkmod/kitchen/cheapbeermug.lwo and it does work but the beermug cm is a little large so the gauge floats slightly.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I'm glad that worked!

I saw that you can use something like big_monster so that AI can use their own poly's as collision but I'm not sure if this could've been done here as well.

Another question then:

Whats the correct size/format/etc for inventory icons, I know its a tga file but the one I got given dont work.

I have verified the tga image I haver is the correct size and file type , but something is missing as doom dont like it - alpha layer..? I extracted the painting inv icon and used that and it works fine, so how do I compare the two to see what missing from my tga file..?

skull_inv_icon.tga.txt

Edited by Bikerdude

What does the definition file for this look like?

If you don't have one you could probably look in the definitions and see if any are pointed to "guis/assets/hud/inventory_icons" and copy their format.

I would open one of the other TGA's in GIMP or Photoshop and see what Channels are present. In GIMP this would be the Dockable menu > Channels. If there are 4 Channels then the texture has Alpha.

did that, and the image as mentioned before is the same 256*256*24 in tga D3 just dont like the image file -0 so I am assuming it need to have an transparent alpha layer or something..?

Are you saving it with Paint.NET? I know it doesnt like tga's from there. If you are using alpha, you need to use 32 anyway.

The TGA shows as being valid and correct in my TGA handler, looking at it in a hex editor, both the header and footer are correct; there is no excess or non-image data anywhere in the tile. So it's well formed, gonna test it in-game in a sec crashing withstanding :)