The Dark Mod Forums

Items Pickup

pkotz

Center it on your screen before picking it up, and it won't move at all. Just takes a bit of getting used to.

It can't jump to the centre of the screen if it is already at the centre of the screen. You can add a bias so you are looking slightly high (so the object is slightly below the centre) then it will tend to move up and away from other objects rather than crash through them. It depends on the angle though. 'up' is not necessarily world vertical. If you are leaning over a table looking down and frob an item in the middle of a group of things then it will move to the centre of your view which is actually pushing it back along the table. In other words, try to get your view so there is a safe and shortest route from the object to the centre of the screen. Oh yeah, and practice.

Thanks, I tried that today. Kinda hard without the crosshair. Why do you need to center the object on the screen?

Because the grabber puts it in the center of the screen, so when you pick it up...it will have to move to the center of the screen. If you center it on your screen before picking it up, it won't have to make the journey to get there and you won't knock as much stuff over. Additionally, practice. ;)

Because the grabber puts it in the center of the screen, so when you pick it up...it will have to move to the center of the screen. If you center it on your screen before picking it up, it won't have to make the journey to get there and you won't knock as much stuff over. Additionally, practice. ;)

No, that's what I meant - why does the grabber need to put it in center?

No, that's what I meant - why does the grabber need to put it in center?

It's most convenient for using an object to interact with other objects if you can hold it out in front of you, and the forward/back movement controls move it straight out or straight back in. More importantly, if you want to get both yourself and a moderately sized object (like a crate) through a doorway, you want to hold it in front of you, not out to the side.

For example, want to pick something up and put it on a shelf? Sorry, you had your view titled up too far when you grabbed it, and now you can't look up far enough to get it up at shelf level. Better drop it and pick it up again!

It would suck if an object stayed wherever it was when you picked it up, and you had to keep dropping it and picking it up again to get it in the right place for what you wanted to do (put something on a shelf or desk, take a crate and yourself through a doorway, push a button with a stick, etc). The whole system was designed to avoid picking up and dropping things repeatedly to manipulate them.

It's most convenient for using an object to interact with other objects if you can hold it out in front of you, and the forward/back movement controls move it straight out or straight back in. More importantly, if you want to get both yourself and a moderately sized object (like a crate) through a doorway, you want to hold it in front of you, not out to the side.

For example, want to pick something up and put it on a shelf? Sorry, you had your view titled up too far when you grabbed it, and now you can't look up far enough to get it up at shelf level. Better drop it and pick it up again!

It would suck if an object stayed wherever it was when you picked it up, and you had to keep dropping it and picking it up again to get it in the right place for what you wanted to do (put something on a shelf or desk, take a crate and yourself through a doorway, push a button with a stick, etc). The whole system was designed to avoid picking up and dropping things repeatedly to manipulate them.

I can see your point, yes. In that case I suggest using some button or idle timeout to center the object. That way when you pick it up (not centered) you can be as careful as you like and then you can center it by pressing button (or by standing still for a second).

UPD: As a matter of fact this key could be any movement key - if player moves, the held object centers automatically.

Edited by pkotz