The Dark Mod Forums

Maya to Md5 problem

Amita12

I'm trying to export a model and it's animations into md5 files with doom3, but it exits after a second i execute the line "exportModels proguard"

proguard.def

export proguard
{
options -sourcedir models/proguard -destdir models/proguard/md5

mesh proguard_idle.mb -dest proguard.md5mesh
anim proguard_idle.mb -dest idle.md5anim
anim proguard_idletocower1.mb -dest idletocower1.md5anim
anim proguard_cower_1.mb -dest cower1.md5anim
}

Models and anims located: E:\Program Files\Doom 3\base\models\proguard

I've got Maya 2009 (i downloaded the proper importer). I also found that doom3 had written a maya crash log, as seen in the attachment below, when i ran Process Monitor.

post-3724-127017035606_thumb.jpg

thanks!

mike

Tried moving the Doom 3 folder out of this path, to one that doesn't have spaces in it? Not "Doom 3", but "Doom3" instead, not "Program Files" but "Games" instead.

Also, the contents of the crashlog itself would be interesting.

Hm, the crash is occurring in Maya's FOUNDATION.DLL, this is not something I can debug.

Are you working with vanilla Doom 3 or with TDM 1.01? Make sure you run TDM with tdmlauncher and uninstall all Fan Missions before attempting to export a model.

Hm, the crash is occurring in Maya's FOUNDATION.DLL, this is not something I can debug.

Are you working with vanilla Doom 3 or with TDM 1.01? Make sure you run TDM with tdmlauncher and uninstall all Fan Missions before attempting to export a model.

I'm working with vanilla Doom 3

It's possible that the MayaImportx86 dll relies on some bugfixes that are only present in the TDM code. Could you try using it with TDM 1.01 (or SVN, if you have it checked out already)?

If you provide me a download link with the files you're trying to export, I can also try to run it on my end to see if there's anything wrong with the .ma files.

It's possible that the MayaImportx86 dll relies on some bugfixes that are only present in the TDM code. Could you try using it with TDM 1.01 (or SVN, if you have it checked out already)?

I made sure that there weren't any FM's loaded and I tried exportingModels, but I seem to get the same result.

If you provide me a download link with the files you're trying to export, I can also try to run it on my end to see if there's anything wrong with the .ma files.

http://rapidshare.co.../anims.zip.html

Are they supposed to be .ma files or .mb files? Because the tut for exportModels says .mb files :s

mike

EDIT: I tried exportModels after saving files as .ma files, but I still get the same result.

The model files and the def you sent me is ok, I could export the MD5 files fine here on my system.

I have the following setup: I'm using TDM 1.02 (this is the unreleased development build here), no FM installed, just started via tdmlauncher.

My MAYA_LOCATION environment variable is set to D:\Prog7\Maya2009, and I have the D:\Prog7\Maya2009\bin in my PATH.

The model files and the def you sent me is ok, I could export the MD5 files fine here on my system.

I have the following setup: I'm using TDM 1.02 (this is the unreleased development build here), no FM installed, just started via tdmlauncher.

My MAYA_LOCATION environment variable is set to D:\Prog7\Maya2009, and I have the D:\Prog7\Maya2009\bin in my PATH.

Hmm, do you think it's the path of my maya files (because they're in Program Files)? Because I see in the Process Monitor that doom3.exe has no problem finding maya and all it's components. I'll try putting them into a different folder soon, though.

mike

Wow, it finally worked! It turned out to be because of my maya folder being in Program Files blink.gif . That is terribly odd, but good news has come, and as long as I can exportModels now, I'm good happy.gif . Thanks for your help! I really appreciate your patience.

mike

EDIT: Now I've got another problem: I can't test the model. It says that it couldn't register the model proguard.ase

Wow, it finally worked! It turned out to be because of my maya folder being in Program Files blink.gif . That is terribly odd, but good news has come, and as long as I can exportModels now, I'm good happy.gif . Thanks for your help! I really appreciate your patience.

Cool, glad you sorted it out. This got to go on the wiki, to save time when the next one runs into the same problem.

EDIT: Now I've got another problem: I can't test the model. It says that it couldn't register the model proguard.ase

To check out the model in-game, the "export" declaration alone is not enough. You need to add the "anim" line to the TDM tdm_ai_proguard model and test it on that one. Our proguard def is stored in one of the PK4 files, tdm_ai_humanoid_guards01.pk4.

- Go to your darkmod folder

- Create a def\ folder there if you haven't already.

- Open the file tdm_ai_humanoid_guards01.pk4 in darkmod with 7zip, WinRAR, WinZip or whatever.

- Go to def\tdm_ai_guard_proguard_devel.def and extract the .def file to the def/ folder you created in the second step.

- Open that def file and scroll down to the line "model tdm_ai_proguard", that's where the proguard definition block is starting.

- Add a line at the end of the "anim" list, like anim walk_blind models/md5/chars/guards/proguard/walk_blind.md5anim, pointing to your exported .md5anim animation. Replace "walk_blind" in this example with a short one-word name you come up with for your exported anim.

- (Re)start TDM and launch a test map.

- Open the console, type testmodel tdm_ai_proguard, this should spawn a testmodel in the T-Pose in front of you. Make sure you're looking straight ahead and not downwards before spawning it.

- View your anim with testanim walk_blind or whatever your anim is called.

Does this help?

Hm. I can see that your exported anims have 67 joints, whereas they should have 71.

Have you been using the idle.ma I sent to you earlier? I assume you didn't modify any of the joints?

It's possible that I maybe picked the wrong idle.ma file before and you ended up with a wrong setup. In that case I apologise for my stupidness, otherwise I don't know what could have gone wrong.

Let's take a fresh approach: I just tried the following on my system.

- Download this file: http://www.bloodgate...dm/pub/idle.zip (our other FTP just expired, ironically).

- Extract the idle.ma file and open it in Maya 2009

- Take the hip control and turn it around a bit just for testing

- Export the anim to md5anim and test it.

For me that worked, the resulting md5anim file has 71 joints (you can check by opening it in a text editor).

edit: It just occurred to me that you might need to set some additional export options. You're using a custom "export" declaration, aren't you? That might be the reason for the different joint numbers. Please use the export declaration in tdm_ai_guard_proguard_devel.def (the one you extracted earlier). If you open that file you can see an export decl like this:

export proguard {

options -sourcedir models/model_src/proguard_mb -destdir models/md5/chars/guards/proguard -scale 0.97

addoptions -keep origin Pelvis Pelvis2 Hips LeftHips_Dummy LeftUpLeg LeftLeg LeftFoot LeftToeBase LeftToe_end RightHips_Dummy RightUpLeg RightLeg RightFoot RightToeBase RightToe_end sword Spine_Dummy Spine Spine1 Spine2 LeftShoulder_Dummy LeftShoulder LeftArm_Dummy LeftArm LeftArmRoll LeftForeArm LeftHand LeftHandIndex1 LeftHandIndex2 LeftHandIndex3 LeftHandIndex4 LeftHandRing1 LeftHandRing2 LeftHandRing3 LeftHandRing4 LeftHandThumb1 LeftHandThumb2 LeftHandThumb3 Neck Head RightShoulder_Dummy RightShoulder RightArm_Dummy RightArm RightArmRoll RightForeArm RightHand RightHandIndex1 RightHandIndex2 RightHandIndex3 RightHandIndex4 RightHandRing1 RightHandRing2 RightHandRing3 RightHandRing4 RightHandThumb1 RightHandThumb2 RightHandThumb3 joint8 joint9 leftpad rightpad joint7 RightFrontUpSkirt RightBackUpSkirt LeftFrontUpSkirt LeftBackUpSkirt RightFrontLowSkirt RightBackLowSkirt LeftFrontLowSkirt LeftBackLowSkirt

//mesh proguardmesh_export.mb -dest tdm_ai_proguard
//anim proguardmesh_export.mb -dest af_pose.md5anim
addoptions -scale 0.97
//anim walk36.ma -dest walk.md5anim -cycleStart 12
//anim run18.ma -dest run.md5anim
//anim runCharge.ma -dest run_charge.md5anim
//anim search.ma -cycleStart 26
anim idle.ma
// ... more lines like that, I removed most of them
} 

The -keep switch is the important part, it's telling the exporter to keep all these joints even if they aren't used in the anim itself.

edit2: Yes, this was the reason. I can export your .ma file just fine when I use the export declaration declaration and it has the correct number of joints.

Hey, awesome, thank you very much!

mike

EDIT: Now another question arises: When I test the animation, his head doesn't move the way I animated it to; in fact, it doesn't move at all unsure.gif . Do I have to make a separate head animation, or something?

Yeah, the head's model declaration needs to have this animation (with the same name) too, then it can play this anim alongside the body. It needs a separate export, methinks. Never did that myself so far, but there ought to be a way.

edit: here's the head's idle file: http://www.bloodgate...ub/head_idle.mb

You'll need to run a separate export declaration to export the anim:

export head_proguard {

options -keep eyecontrol Leyeaim Reyeaim loneckcontrol Loneck neckcontrol headcontrol Head Jaw mouth4 mouth5 mouth6 mouth7 mouth8 tongue1 tongue2 Lbrow1 Lbrow2 Lbrow3 Lcheek Llolid Lnostril Lsmile Lsneer Luplid Rbrow1 Rbrow2 Rbrow3 Rcheek Rlolid Rnostril Rsmile Rsneer Ruplid mouth1 mouth10 mouth11 mouth12 mouth2 mouth3 mouth9 -sourcedir models/model_src/proguard_mb -destdir models/md5/chars/guards/proguard -destdir models/md5/chars/guards/proguard -scale .95
//mesh proguard_head.mb -dest proguard_head
addoptions -sourcedir models/model_src/head_anims_mb -destdir models/md5/chars/guards/proguard -scale .95
anim head_idle.mb -range 2 7 -dest head_idle
//anim head_blink.mb -range 2 7 -dest head_blink
}

Yeah, the head's model declaration needs to have this animation (with the same name) too, then it can play this anim alongside the body. It needs a separate export, methinks. Never did that myself so far, but there ought to be a way.

It depends what you mean. The head joint itself can be animated on the main rig. The facial bones can't, but they aren't part of the main rig anyway, are they?

The only reason you'd need to export the head separately should be if you animated the head separately from the main rig (which reminds me, we could definitely use a head aniamtion rig as well).

My guess would be that whatever animation you replaced to test your animation was set not to play the head channel.

It depends what you mean. The head joint itself can be animated on the main rig. The facial bones can't, but they aren't part of the main rig anyway, are they?

The only reason you'd need to export the head separately should be if you animated the head separately from the main rig (which reminds me, we could definitely use a head aniamtion rig as well).

My guess would be that whatever animation you replaced to test your animation was set not to play the head channel.

Hmm, so what should I do, then?

First I should probably clarify exactly what you mean...is it the head itself that isn't moving, or did you do some work with the facial joints?

I'm not sure which animation you replaced with yours for testing, but try replacing the animation called "anim idle_spit". That animation has an override for random head-turning, and I know it normally controls the head channel. If that doesn't work then my guess is wrong.

First I should probably clarify exactly what you mean...is it the head itself that isn't moving, or did you do some work with the facial joints?

I moved the head on the Proguard mesh.

I'm not sure which animation you replaced with yours for testing, but try replacing the animation called "anim idle_spit". That animation has an override for random head-turning, and I know it normally controls the head channel. If that doesn't work then my guess is wrong.

I'll check it out, but at the moment, I'd like to wait until I can get access to the SVN repository. That way, things can go more smoothly, as far as animation goes. I've uploaded the zip file you couldn't access earlier, btw.

mike