The Dark Mod Forums

Problem w/Readables Editor

grayman

I had a number of readables before the Readable Editor came out in 1.2.0. The Editor read them just fine, and I could change them, but I had a problem in that no text was displayed in the preview window.

I assume this is the bug that was fixed in 1.2.1.

However, when I bring up the 1.2.1 Editor on an existing readable, DR crashes. I tried it with two different readables; one I created prior to 1.2.0 and one I created using 1.2.0. Both crashed while trying to paint the Editor window.

I tried to create a new readable using 1.2.1, and got as far as typing in the text. At the first character, DR crashed.

So I assume the crash is related to displaying text in the text field (not in the Preview window).

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks.

It is very unlikely that it's the textfields that cause the problems. I am currently away from my computer, so I can't look into it right now, but in any case, you should upload and post the log of the DR console. This might help us nail the problem down.

Hey - he's right. I'd not looked at this for a few weeks.

I wonder if this is because of the release asset fonts being in pk4s? Dark Radiant cannot access all pk4s at the moment I don't recall the details. So maybe a solution is to extract the fonts folder from tdm_fonts01.pk4.

I can't provide console output from the crash, because it's a crash and the console goes away with DR.

Below is the log just prior to the crash. All this shows is me creating a readable book and opening the Editor.

Open the Editor, type one character into the leftmost body field and it crashes.

I extracted the fonts folder and that didn't solve the problem.

[shaders] Loaded texture: models/darkmod/props/textures/book_t1_ed

[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/common/collision

createEntity

OpenGL window configuration: colour-buffer = 32bpp, depth-buffer = 32bpp

[shaders] Loaded texture: fonts/english/mac_humaine/mac_humaine_0_48

[shaders] Loaded texture: fonts/english/mac_humaine/mac_humaine_1_48

[shaders] Loaded texture: fonts/english/mac_humaine/mac_humaine_2_48

[shaders] Loaded texture: fonts/english/mac_humaine/mac_humaine_3_48

[shaders] Loaded texture: fonts/english/mac_humaine/mac_humaine_4_48

[shaders] Loaded texture: guis/assets/readables/books/book_background01B

[shaders] Loaded texture: guis/assets/readables/books/book_background01B_left

[shaders] Loaded texture: guis/assets/readables/books/book_background01B_right

Can you provide me with the map and the xdata so that I can try to reproduce the issue in my debugger?

Create a new single-room map.

Add a book.

Select the book and bring up the Readables Editor.

Try to type in the leftmost 'Book' field. It crashes at the first char.

This isn't specific to my WIP.

Can't reproduce the crash. I tried it with both my SVN environment as well as with the public TDM 1.01 release. No crash here.

Anything else happened since you updated? New drivers or something like that?

If that doesn't help, I can only suggest to install VC++ Express on your system and use the debugger on your system to see where it's crashing. Setting up the SVN build environment is connected to some effort though.

Can't reproduce the crash. I tried it with both my SVN environment as well as with the public TDM 1.01 release. No crash here.

Anything else happened since you updated? New drivers or something like that?

If that doesn't help, I can only suggest to install VC++ Express on your system and use the debugger on your system to see where it's crashing. Setting up the SVN build environment is connected to some effort though.

I have VC++, so I'll look into creating a build environment. I'll probably be back w/questions about the setup, though.

I'm not the only one seeing this.

I haven't updated any drivers. I was using the Editor okay in the previous DR rev (though the chars weren't appearing in the picture), upgraded to the current rev to see if the drawing problem was fixed, and encountered the crash.