The Dark Mod Forums

Betrayal by Fieldmedic (2010/08/17) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry

DeTeEff

Betrayal by Fieldmedic (2010/08/17) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry  

58 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

The fog "ends" before the surface as before. The edge is when you go up the elevator shaft. The only difference is that I have cramped the surface area to minimize a vast field with usless junk, when there were performance issues in the first place.

I made a screenshot of what I mean:

post-3744-128330768125_thumb.jpg

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

This mission has got me lost completely I'm afraid . How on earth does one

fire up the signal tower

and where is it as I've probably passed by it in my trip to the top!

Or is it in fact at the top? That would seem the logical place for a signal to be situated.

Thanks !

This mission has got me lost completely I'm afraid . How on earth does one

fire up the signal tower

and where is it as I've probably passed by it in my trip to the top!

Or is it in fact at the top? That would seem the logical place for a signal to be situated.

Thanks !

The key to the signal tower is in Calcom's office, in the church attic. Inside the tower there is a lift and then a simple switch.

The signal tower is situated beside the church on the top floor. It is the tallest building among the ones up there.

Edited by Fieldmedic

The key to the signal tower is in Calcom's office, in the church attic. Inside the tower there is a lift and then a simple switch.

The signal tower is situated beside the church on the top floor. It is the tallest building among the ones up there.

Thanks for your patience Fieldmedic ! I was playing late in the evening , a bit tired and to my shame

missed the office in the church attic completely and in my desperation went all the way down again to find the signal tower !

Well , to all intents and purposes I've ' finished '

I never did find the reason for the abnormality which I guess may be on the undead level although I've searched and searched

but if I hog the computer much longer the better half will kill me let alone the undead ! Thank you Fieldmedic for an absorbing and detailed mission and your patient help along the way !

Well , to all intents and purposes I've ' finished '

I never did find the reason for the abnormality which I guess may be on the undead level although I've searched and searched

but if I hog the computer much longer the better half will kill me let alone the undead ! Thank you Fieldmedic for an absorbing and detailed mission and your patient help along the way !

The abnormality-objective should check when you read Greiz's diary, the priest with the key in his wardrobe. He explains that father Calcom has a pact with the Death cult (which Greiz now has foiled) and now that the pact is spoiled, the necromancers in that cult have cast a curse upon the tower which has turned lots of people into undead...far fetched?

Hell yeah! :o:ph34r:

Oh, by the way, the diary is in the drawer, under the key to the central tower, which you got hold of I guess? :)

Edited by Fieldmedic

Ahh...When I moved the skyportals on the surface closer to the tower I forgot that I was goingh through the walls of the mines...fixed and the download changed again :)

Uh, does that mean I should upload the changed mission to bloodgate.com again?

Edit: Nevermind, I see the files differ, uploaded it. I can't keep up with these updates...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yes, sorry for not reporting...I make these small updates to hopefully make the mission more playable for the low enders and occationally fixing small bugs...

That's actually very good - but, the mirrors likemine get out of sync, and manually uploading a few megabytes takes quite a bit of time, plus there is the "oh I didn't notice it" part.

I think we need some central repository for FMs, so that other mirrors can just pull from there. I know Fidcal has bloodgate.com access, me too, greebo to, so maybe authors wishing to host an FM should have some sort of "upload here" space, and then someone from us can have a look, see "oh its ok, not spam, really TDM mission, no nasty bits inside" and then "move" it the right space so other people and mirrors can download it?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

torrents

If you aren't using torrents you don't belong to or in the 21st century;

Decentralized distribution; simple, localized creation of the hash-checking, client-nudging tiny downloads ; ~centralized-as-you-want-it distribution of said tiny downloads, easily attachable anywhere...

Reinvent the sliced lightbulb it's the greatest thing ever since a wheel and a rockbread, Sisyphus.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

It wouldn't prevent anybody from playing old anything. It would make it easier to distribute new things immediately without a repository; without worrying about mixed up mirrors; without crc mixups and md5 sha arc zip pk4 meatballs and applesauce confusionary pod central replication book depo sniper shots reflecting motorcade pillboxhatwearing magic bullets and bandwidth devouring lightsaber banding conflagrations escalating multipl-device re-purposed AEC weapons inspecting lying liars and the liars who lie down with them from becoming a thing of the past.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Yeah, Tels. Why don't you use torrents? According to aidakeeley, it's a lot better because of...some reason..............! :unsure:

Irony...:ph34r:

BTW aida, why don't you use that energy you put into your word pooping, as we call it in Sweden, and do a mission :) It would be...intricate ;)

Edited by Fieldmedic

BTW aida, why don't you use that energy you put into your word pooping, as we call it in Sweden, and do a mission :) It would be...intricate ;)

A brilliant idea! Think about the readables in aida's mission, full of musings!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

torrents

If you aren't using torrents you don't belong to or in the 21st century;

Decentralized distribution; simple, localized creation of the hash-checking, client-nudging tiny downloads ; ~centralized-as-you-want-it distribution of said tiny downloads, easily attachable anywhere...

Reinvent the sliced lightbulb it's the greatest thing ever since a wheel and a rockbread, Sisyphus.

Erm, yes, except if you have an ISP who throttles torrents (comcast *cough*), or are a mapper who doesn't know what a torrent is (pretty much all of them because I never saw any mapper offer a torrent) etc. Plus, even with the torrents, you are faced with the decisions:

* where do I upload my .torrent

* which tracker do I use?

Edit: And for the players:

* Where do I get a nice list of all FMs, only with the newest versions and with some description etc.? Having to search for random torrents with random search words isn't what I call "usable" :)

I am not saying torrents are bad, but apparently they are not used here at all. So I can see that they complement the downloads, but they won't replace them.

Edit: aidakeeley, sincere question: Why don't you just provide torrents of all the FMs so far?

The abnormality-objective should check when you read Greiz's diary, the priest with the key in his wardrobe. He explains that father Calcom has a pact with the Death cult (which Greiz now has foiled) and now that the pact is spoiled, the necromancers in that cult have cast a curse upon the tower which has turned lots of people into undead...far fetched?

Hell yeah! :o:ph34r:

Oh, by the way, the diary is in the drawer, under the key to the central tower, which you got hold of I guess? :)

Thanks , now competed the mission properly. In my usual haste missed that book completely. Excellent mission !

Are we talking about ONE torrent for all missions? Because as far as I know, a torrent file is something you download, run through Vuze for example, and it connects to all people who have the stuff, and then download. But wouldn't peolpe in the community need to be online all the time for this to work? And as I said earlier, I cannot see how this would prevent people from getting old versions of missions...

Are we talking about ONE torrent for all missions? Because as far as I know, a torrent file is something you download, run through Vuze for example, and it connects to all people who have the stuff, and then download. But wouldn't peolpe in the community need to be online all the time for this to work? And as I said earlier, I cannot see how this would prevent people from getting old versions of missions...

Yeah, that is the problem, you'd need a new torrent for each FM, and some way to prune/filter the outdated torrents away.. Might as well have a web-based list of FMs with download links to - mirrors :)

* where do I upload my .torrent

* which tracker do I use?

* where do I get a nice list of all FMs, only with the newest versions and with some description etc.?

the problem, you'd need a new torrent for each FM

No problem at all. Takes but a moment.

If you are looking to argue, I won't. I've told you specifically about openbittorrent and publicbt. The where to upload the torrent "thing" is also something I know you know better about... the torrents themselves are small little files that will attach anywhere; they are attached to thousands of posts in hundreds of forums every day...

I know that torrents are a great way for a community to distribute files without having to worry about mixed up mirrors, improper hashes, web-based blocks, giant clients. You asked me to create a torrent for all the FMs and then proceeded to continue to play about how useless it would be.

There is something seriously wrong with the distribution of the FMs and TDM itself. And people are looking for repositories and shifting files from one upload site to another around here. IF everyone downloaded utorrent a tiny, portable client/server; if this technology, which is HUGELY dominant across the internet, was adopted by this community it would benefit this community. And the best thing about it is that it only relies on the community -- not schemingfilehost.com or takelookatthisadfirst.net or tellusaboutyourself.org.

I don't know how to create torrents, but I guess it works like this: I create a torrent on my computer, "link" it to my mission pk4 and then uploads the torrent file. Tels would like to play my mission. He's heard a lot of good stuff from this Swedish goof and would like to see if he can produce something decent :) He downloads the torrent and runs it through Vuze or some other torrent client. Mission starts to download . This is wholly dependent on Fieldmedic being online 24/7 to allow others to download. When the download completes, Tels hopefully also stays online and shares/seeds the file to other people and the more people having the mission, the faster the downloads go...But then someone discovers error and bugs in the mission! Fieldmedic makes adjustments and uploads another torrent. BANG! The other peoples torrent is out of date and they need to download the newest version. It's a lot smaller to download than the mission at first, but as this is a new version, Fieldmedic has to be online 24/7 again to allow people to download...

OR can I link the newer version to the same torrent file? Even so, it still needs that the players bothers to use the torrent again and download the new file...

You'd need to create a new torrent, yes. Which, btw, would absolutely reduce the chance that anyone confused it with the older version.

All the rest of your worries and BANGS! are not anything you'd not have to do with more trouble by not using torrents. Certainly you realize this? Do you think if you create a new revision of any mission it'll magically distribute itself to the users?

Using torrents, every user who downloads it becomes a potential (and while downloading a DEFACTO) server for that file.

It's got a built in hashing system so all copies however so named are not to be confused, ever. Your torrent listing can explain exactly what the content is and can be listed in any forum as easy and as elaborately as any posting...

I know it's a little bit like (I said this somewhere else recently, maybe here about this?) a pothead thinking just about everyone smokes pot... but really torrents are a HUGE part of the internet. Millions of people use them... and not just occasionally either.

Hmm, I believe the best solution is to let aida make a shot of this torrent-approach. Personally I don't care because I've got no problems with downloading the usual way...The reason I've updated my map so frequently is because I would like to have a fully playable version for the low enders so they can vote in the contest...In future missions, that are not connected to contest, I probably will correct more bugs before uploading newer versions...

If you personally don't care, I certainly don't either.

the mirrors likemine get out of sync, and manually uploading a few megabytes takes quite a bit of time, plus there is the "oh I didn't notice it" part... and on and more and on about the problems... and then... after a suggestion is made... everything is magically hunky-dory

So, carry on.

I am pleased however that you vote to "let" me make a shot...:rolleyes:

Carry on.