The Dark Mod Forums

Why won't these 3 missions load?

Shaz

Honestly I don't think it's the maps themselves. If nobody else is having the issue.

Well, even if it isn't the map, it could be an object or something in the map so maybe we can narrow down where in the map the problem occurs.

I've split Somewhere above the city into two parts that both compile, so it might be useful to try dmapping both and see if only one causes a crash. Shaz, here are the files:

Map1

Map2

Edit: Make sure to right click -> save file as.

He's

he's

Stop being sexist! laugh.giftongue.gif

Edited by Midnight

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*snicker* You forgot I was a she already, Baddcog!

Yeah I know this is quite odd, since I can't get into these 3 missions at all. I didn't think it was the maps, since, as you said, no one else was reporting issues. It's just some random weird off thing with my computer or settings that won't let them run. I just don't really know where to begin at figuring out what the problem is.

Okay!

I dmapped somewhere1 successfully. During the dmap of somewhere2, I got the same crash I've been getting (Doom3 has stopped working) at the 'removing degenerate triangles' part (same spot I crashed while dmapping Rift).

Whoops, that's probably not all I've forgotten in that time frame :)

(r_commits_to_memory Shaz_is_a_girl)

If it's crashing with degenrate tris in rift it could be all the patches, they do intersect alot.. And have visportals that intersect them.

Is there something similar in somewhere part 2?

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Is there something similar in somewhere part 2?

Yep, looks to be patches. I had the degenerate tris message when dmapping part2 but not part1. I've removed all the patches that make up the clockwork in part2 and didn't see the tris message this time (though I could have missed it).

You could try this latest version to confirm:

Map3

Any idea what's going on at this stage in the dmap, could this be cpu related?

Edit: Just had a thought. Sounds like this could be floating point related, but not likely to be cpu. Does the compiler use the gpu for certain processing? If so, maybe the graphics drivers could do with an update?

Edited by Midnight

(r_commits_to_memory Shaz_is_a_girl)

MALLOC ERROR! :laugh:

Same crash.

......FixGlobalTjunctions......

removed 2 degenerate triangles

removed 4 degenerate triangles

and *crash* Doom3 has stopped working.

Okay, was this an immediate crash, or did the game 'stall' for a while before you get an error message? I seriously doubt that the simplest and most common of the dmap operations is crashing your pc.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Okay, was this an immediate crash, or did the game 'stall' for a while before you get an error message? I seriously doubt that the simplest and most common of the dmap operations is crashing your pc.

It's just killing doom, but what I don't get is how these missions wont even compile or run on the system?

The only thing I can think of is doom3 patch versions or non-portable filenames(but even that, I'd expect it to freak out before the map tries to dmap)... very odd.

What has science done!

Why my good sir? Is there no time to joyously be merry? I suppose that at least you have not taken to the sherry....

But that probably is the right track. Keep cutting the troublesome map in half and we should theoretically get to the bottom of this.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Fidcal, Grayman(?), anything with your missions that is 'weird'? or possible load issues?

None that I've heard of or experienced. I have 7 custom textures, 16 custom sound files, and 5 custom skin definitions. Apart from that, everything else is standard.

Oooh, I wander in off the streets and find my baby being cut into tiny pieces. unsure.gif

When I first started TDM mapping back in February, a search for "degenerate triangles" turned up the maxim of "don't worry about it". These turn up when dmap scissors the map, and they're tris with their normals facing the wrong way. Dmap creates them, there's nothing we can do about them, dmap flushes them out automatically, etc. etc.

Maybe we've encountered a situation where dmap and TDM/Doom3 can't handle these.

The only time I ever saw a crash (and it wasn't when making SATC) like this was when a particular texture caused it. I'd hit the "FixGlobal TJunctions" message, dmap would pause, and =BANG= down it went.

It wasn't until I removed a certain texture that it would stop crashing. Needless to say, I don't use that texture to this day. Can't remember what it was, though. I'll look back through the forums, because I started a thread after this first happened to try to find out what dmap was doing in FGTJ. Never got an answer (prolly nobody knows).

Off to search...

Oooh, I wander in off the streets and find my baby being cut into tiny pieces. unsure.gif

Sorry grayman! Your mission was simply the easiest of the three to split into pieces due to the elevator. smile.gif

I'm beginning to think maybe I didn't encounter the degenerate tris message as I tried compiling again (after deleting aas etc) and couldn't find this reference after dumping the console to a log file. There were some backwards triangle in input warnings (which didn't occur in the first half of the map) but no degenerates to be found!

I could try (with grayman's permission of course laugh.gif) to split the second part further when I'm back from work to try narrow down the problem. It's just strange that it runs / compiles fine for other systems.

Okay, here is the top half of the map split into 4 further pieces:

Map4

Map5

Map6

Map7

I did get a degenerate tris message when compiling 6&7 when they were still joined, here's part of the console dump:

----- FixGlobalTjunctions -----
removed 2 degenerate triangles
removed 4 degenerate triangles
############### entity 1 ###############
--- FaceBSP ---
  70 faces
  89 leafs
 0.0 seconds faceBsp
----- MakeTreePortals -----
----- FilterBrushesIntoTree -----
  12 total brushes
  27 cluster references
----- ClipSidesByTree -----
--- FloodAreas ---
area 0 has 62 leafs
   1 areas
----- PutPrimitivesInAreas -----
----- OptimizeEntity -----
----- OptimizeAreaGroups Results -----
  206 tris in
  126 tris after edge removal optimization
  150 tris after final t junction fixing

Edited by Midnight

So the thing it does after removing the degenerates! is start on the entities

Okay, putting rift.map in a maps folder in the darkmod folder allowed the 'dmap rift' command to function. Problem, though... after it has 'removed degenerate triangles' a few imes, Doom3 crashes, with the same 'Doom3 has stopped working' popup. It has done this at the same point three times in a row now.

Could be that entity... mightn't be the degenerates after all, though degenerates they are, and "removal" they need.

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

somewhere4 dmapped fine

somewhere5 crashed at Fixing Global Tjunctions (I don't know if there were any degenerate tris, it crashed as soon as it displayed the FGTJ line)

somewhere6 dmapped fine (and I did catch a flash of a few degenerate tris getting fixed, so it looks like they don't always crash me)

somewhere7 dmapped fine

Would doing a conDump be helpful at all?

I could try (with grayman's permission of course laugh.gif) to split the second part further when I'm back from work to try narrow down the problem. It's just strange that it runs / compiles fine for other systems.

Just kidding. Do what has to be done.

I did notice, however, that condump only goes back so far. I did one last night and it started with entity 95. Any degen tris showing up prior to that won't be noted in the dump file.

So breaking the map into smaller bits is the right thing to do, until you're sure condump goes all the way back to the map load comment.

somewhere5 crashed at Fixing Global Tjunctions (I don't know if there were any degenerate tris, it crashed as soon as it displayed the FGTJ line)

Would doing a conDump be helpful at all?

I DL'ed 5 and dmapped it. It completed, and the condump had no degen tris in it.

A condump from you would be helpful.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the "worn_large" wood texture is crashing dmap. It's used on entity 1 in somewhere5, a table in Penshawk's lab.

I remember this texture giving me dmap crashes many many moons ago, back in TDM 1.01. I stopped using it, then forgot about the problem, started using it again, and the problem never reappeared.

I'm wondering if Shaz's TDM installation is up-to-date and correct, given the recent discussion on another thread about mirrors having different file CRCs. (Or is that a red herring?)

I'm going to change that texture everywhere it's used in somewhere5 and make a somewhere5a available. Shaz, if you can try dmapping that and tell us what happens, I'd appreciate it.

Back in a few...

I checked texture use in Rift and Alchemist, the other 2 missions listed at the top of this thread.

Rift uses pagfloor02_dark, which looks like worn_large with a brown tint applied to it.

Alchemist uses worn_large.

I checked three other maps: St. Lucia, Heart, and Training Mission. None use either of these textures.

I don't know if this condump will show anything.

I got the crash at the same point on somewhere5a- whenever it hits FGTJ.

My TDM is definitely up to date. I ran the updater several times, and then I have updated it at each individual mirror one by one, but none of the mirrors downloaded any files.

somewhere.txt

Edited by Shaz