The Dark Mod Forums

Lightgem The Third

sparhawk

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should mute the specular highlights on the gem a little - unless they are realtime and will change with the lighting in-game?

Can you just make a gif of the gem going form dark to light and post it up here?

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Don't think that's real time. I was thinking about the hilights a bit too.

Oh, BT. For an experiment, I ported the T3 lightgem into darkmod and played around with the sizing in the hud.gui. I think the blur your experiencing just comes from not hitting the size ratio bang on with the gem image. Not 100% certain on that, but when I finally hit the right size it looked fine with the T3 gem.

I know with GUIs they have to be done in multiples of 2 (64x128, 512x512, 1024x256, ect... ) because of the way D3 compresses textures. That could be the problem here as well.

More info at:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic...0&highlight=gui

spring seems to be right. I changed the size to 256x128 and it looks better now.

I'm still working on a smooth transition between the different states, so I think you've to wait till tomorrow, cauze I'm pretty tired right now (was about 4 hours cross-country skiing this morning ;) )

http://www.thedarkmod.de/wip/lightgem_test2.jpg

spring seems to be right. I changed the size to 256x128 and it looks  better now.

I'm still working on a smooth transition between the different states, so I think you've to wait till tomorrow, cauze I'm pretty tired right now (was about 4 hours cross-country skiing this morning ;) )

http://www.thedarkmod.de/wip/lightgem_test2.jpg

At your leisure BT! :) Very much appreciate you working on it.

No idea if this would help, but I have the textures for the old Thief 1 gem here. If you would like a frame of reference for the stages between each transition.

lightgem_T1.zip

Looking great so far. :) I'm curious. Are you making two versions of the gem itself? One for when the compass is toggled off and the other for when the compass is on? Reason I was wondering is because in this version I see the retention rings are in place, so I was wondering if you put those over top of the gem with a layer in photoshop to make the gem look more complete? :) If the compass were toggled back on a gem without the retention rings in the bitmap would probably need to be put in its place or I suspect you might see the retention rings when the compass moves. Then again, it might be so small that it won't be noticable.

I think we've to test, if the ring around the gem will be visible, when the compass rotates, but I actually doubt it.

I finished all 16 stages, but it's hard to test, because the lightgem settings are IMHO much too rough. I can stand directly under a lightsource with a radius > than 300 and I'm still at about stage 12.

IT's doesn't work very well in-game. THere is nowhere near enough contrast between light and dark - this is caused primarily by the specular highlights on it. and it' also very jumpy as it moves between the stages instead of smooth, so maybe we need more than 16.

ALso it's not goingt o work having the housing of the gem as part of the bitmap, the whole housing and compass will be part of the 3d model. THe red dots will still be possible though, since the housing will not spin with the compass, we can add an alpha map to it to let the red dots show though from the underlying bitmap.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I haven't tested it in game yet, but just from the .gif I think the brighter settings need to be brighter colour. The red dots are a neat touch...I didn't even notice them until Dram mentioned it, but it's a nice tribute to the T2 gem.

ALso it's not goingt o work having the housing of the gem as part of the bitmap, the whole housing and compass will be part of the 3d model. THe red dots will still be possible though, since the housing will not spin with the compass, we can add an alpha map to it to let the red dots show though from the underlying bitmap.

well this is the version WITHOUT the compass! I don't think you'll see the ring around the gem, when the compass-model is attached to it.

I can make the brighter stages more bright, but I don't think there isn't enough contrast between the stages - look at the T1/2 gem - there isn't more contrast.

It doesn't work very well ingame, cauze the lightgem settings don't work very good IMHO - as mentioned before I can stand directly under a lightsource and the lightgem shows me, that I'm about 50% in shadow.

Edited by BlackThief