The Dark Mod Forums

Barebones TDM-Doom3 Install?

Brooklyn

I'm really only interested in The Dark Mod, having played Doom 3 a few times, and not exactly thrilled with it.

I was wondering if anyone besides me thought about removing the bloat of unnecessary Doom 3 files, while still allowing The Dark Mod to work, and if so, offer some guidance?

Thanks in advance!

All you need is the doom folder with Doom3.exe in it and the sub folder base with its pk4s and the doomkey file in it. I think that is all.

In addition you can copy the lot to a new folder and it will work there immediately - at least in a normal Windows install - dunno about Steam or linux. So if you've already installed Doom3 you could just copy its folder, delete the unwanted stuf, and test it's working before deleting the original folder.

There are a lot of Doom 3 files currently shared with Dark Mod. I don't think there is any easy way to do what you're asking. You would need a rather concise list of files that aren't used by Dark Mod...but there is no guarantee currently that an FM might use a texture or sound from Doom 3 in the future, and then you would not be able to play that FM.

Just be aware that we do use some things like textures, sounds and models from doom3, I'd avoid removing any of those. You could however delete most of the movies and maps if you're keen to dorp 100-200mb (guestimate).

You could most likely extract the pakxxx.pk4 files and remove then repack everything. Tho since current maps may not use doom3 models or whatever, it doesnt mean that future ones wont, so be careful.

Hm, I am curious what one would really need to play TDM. That would also give us hints what we need to replace to make a Doom3-free TDM [0].

Maybe one could hack the file-loader from D3 to display what file it loads from which PK4, so we can run our missions with this enabled and get a handy list of absolutely nec. files?

I don't think anybody would be able to distribute a slimmed-down D3 (for legal reasons alone) but maybe someone could write a program that takes an existing D3 installation and slims it down?

Ah, what would I give to have a lot of spare time again!

0: No, don't say it, spare me your bickering, please :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

There are a lot of Doom 3 files currently shared with Dark Mod. I don't think there is any easy way to do what you're asking. You would need a rather concise list of files that aren't used by Dark Mod...but there is no guarantee currently that an FM might use a texture or sound from Doom 3 in the future, and then you would not be able to play that FM.
Just be aware that we do use some things like textures, sounds and models from doom3, I'd avoid removing any of those. You could however delete most of the movies and maps if you're keen to dorp 100-200mb (guestimate).

Case in point, our upcoming FM uses both Doom3 textures and sounds (since D3 has a few good effects for opening heavier doors, something TDM doesn't have yet).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Case in point, our upcoming FM uses both Doom3 textures and sounds (since D3 has a few good effects for opening heavier doors, something TDM doesn't have yet).

Expect to re-release your mission somewhere in the feature :)

@Serpentine: Yeah, "strace" should help with that.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Case in point, our upcoming FM uses both Doom3 textures and sounds

I'd be surprised if someone could find one that doesn't. B)

Expect to re-release your mission somewhere in the feature :)

That has already been planned for 1.04, actually - since I hope by that time many of the textures in the mission will be available as part of the package - thus greatly reducing file size. So, no tremendous loss. And glad to know those issues are also being worked on. Even from 1.00 to this point, things have grown like, uh, poisonous vines from a patch of unhallowed soil the Adversary himself hath "blessed".;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

That would be an interesting project... Replace Doom 3 assets by highest percentage of use in FM's

(At least you guys don't have to reverse engineer a bunch of missing hard-drives worth of source code ;) )

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

That has already been planned for 1.04, actually - since I hope by that time many of the textures in the mission will be available as part of the package - thus greatly reducing file size. So, no tremendous loss. And glad to know those issues are also being worked on. Even from 1.00 to this point, things have grown like, uh, poisonous vines from a patch of unhallowed soil the Adversary himself hath "blessed".;)

"Don't eat the yellow vines"? :D