The Dark Mod Forums

Garrett and Farrell's worst nightmare!

lost_soul

This guy made a flashlight with

. The thing is so big it has to be held like a grenade launcher. I particularly like the switch design on the back and the overall creativity! The thing draws 50 watts at full power and the battery only lasts 10 minutes on the highest setting. It uses a lead-acid battery.

I wonder how he deals with the heat? Individual LEDs hardly generate any heat, but when we're talking 500 of them in a close proximity, I would imagine that would change things. Also, I'm guessing he wired the LEDs in series clusters of 4 to make them run off 12 volts because one LED usually uses 3 volts.

3+3+3+3=12 (cluster a)

3+3+3+3=12 (cluster B )

and so on

... and then just wire the clusters in parallel.

It may not be that practical, but it looks cool. Maybe the TDM guards should be equipped with these! :)

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Hm... I hope that guy is not gonna attach lasers like that next time.

There has recently been numerous incidents where idiots cause dangerous situations by blinding plane and helicopter pilots with self-made laser-equipment.

I wonder what's the motivation behind such foolishness.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

"Some men just like to watch the world burn..." The Dark Knight 2008 ©

LED light is strange for flashlight, it often has very limited spectrum which means that some things are significantly illuminated while other things "not so much" This would likely be much more effective (and smaller) if the creator had mixed in a variety of colors (spectrum ranges). Though, in it's current incarnation, it's very dramatic from an iconography angle (eg) "BIG BUNDLE 'O LIGHTS YEAH!".

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I've definitely seen brighter than that. One of the YT comments speculates that it's the old kind of LED too as opposed to newer, brighter, cheaper?, less power consuming ones.

Although Garrett and Farrell have a lot to worry about. Motion sensors, IR, lasers, facial recognition, polymerase chain reaction, etc.

I've definitely seen brighter than that. One of the YT comments speculates that it's the old kind of LED too as opposed to newer, brighter, cheaper?, less power consuming ones.

Maybe because the video is from 2008....

News, for some definition of "new" :ph34r:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax