The Dark Mod Forums

Launching from Win7-64, get window no graphics

ToadTadWater

Newly updated TDM (latest v1.06), not played in a long time, Doom 3 works fine (resolution is not avail for my 1440x900 screen but plays fine at lesser rez).

When I launch using tdmlauncher in D3/TDM directory, I get a window (D3 runs full screen), I get sound, sound affects from moving mouse around, but no graphics, just black screen!

I have ATI hd4650 512mb card, latest drivers, Win7-64.

NE1 know what might be wrong?

Thanks!!

PS: Looked for similar problems but found nothing like this for win7.

The first thing I would check is to make sure your ATI Catalyst Ai is turned OFF.

That is the #1 graphics issue with TDM (it causes different issues from card to card/machine to machine).

But I'm running 5850 and Win7 and have no issues with it turned off. So you can run it, we just have to find the reason.

• Like 1

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Hmmm I have a feeling BD is right, but if we're all wrong : Do you have any other doom3 mods installed? (chances are there's something in there which has replaced part of vanilla doom3, creating issues)

I tried all the suggestions and none worked. Deleting the config file, now launches TDM non windowed but still just a black screen.

I had several D3 mods, deleted all but TDM, but will try a reinstall. That's about all it likely can be at this point!

Thanks for the suggestions and will try to feedback once it is working.

PS: launching via D3 tdm mod and TDMlauncher results in the same thing btw.

Happy gaming all!!

PS: launching via D3 tdm mod and TDMlauncher results in the same thing btw.

Not so. By not starting TDMlauncher, you'll likely have problems with missions not staying installed, config files not properly getting written, and more.

In the way of your problems: I strongly recommend keeping your root "/doom3/" directory as clean as possible. I remember my Visual C++ dumping a gamex86.dll in that directory, and that one DLL overrode every other D3 mod I had.

Doom 3 mods need their own clean directory. There are some Doom 3 mods with lazy devs that tell you to override, overwrite, and "install" in other hacky ways. It just gives everyone else headaches.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

• 2 months later...

I'm also having this issue. I have an nvidia GTX 580 and Win 7 x64 and the Steam version of Doom 3. The Dark mod is the only D3 mod I currently have in my Doom 3 directory. Once this happens, when I alt-tab out of D3, my desktop is no longer running at its native resolution and I have to use the Task Manager to kill Doom 3.

I only just downloaded The Dark mod tonight on a squeaky clean install of Doom 3 (I actually downloaded Doom 3 for the sole purpose of playing this mod. )

Any ideas?

Thanks

You are using a steam launch path right:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Steam_launches_D3.2C_not_TDM

steam.exe -applaunch 9050 +set fs_game_base darkmod

?

You might also want to try running in Windows XP compatibility mode or apply the "4GB" patch.

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Regular players should never have to install the 4GB patch on the Doom3.exe, that is only useful in situation where Doom 3 is running out memory ("malloc failure", usually when compiling large maps, something players don't have to do at all).

You are using a steam launch path right:

http://modetwo.net/d...s_D3.2C_not_TDM

steam.exe -applaunch 9050 +set fs_game_base darkmod

?

You might also want to try running in Windows XP compatibility mode or apply the "4GB" patch.

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

I haven't downloaded the 4GB patch because of Greebo's comment. It does the same thing whether I'm running a shortcut to "steam.exe -applaunch 9050 +set fs_game_base darkmod" or whether I'm launching the tdmlauncher.exe right out of the mod folder. I'll just reinstall everything, maybe that will help.

I was against recommending the patch too. But Biker recommended it to another user and it fixed their issue in spite of what I expected. My suspicion is that something in the OS was not allocating memory to Doom 3 correctly and giving the program 64bit addressing fixed that... :wacko:

I can only suggest that if the re-install does not fix your problem that you try updating your Graphic Drivers, Motherboard Chipset drivers, Windows Updates, and Direct X version.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Regular players should never have to install the 4GB patch on the Doom3.exe

Yes and no, some of the large missions are making Doom3 get close to its internal 1.2GB limit in some instances. In any event I consider it good working practice to apply this patch to any application/game/program that starts using 1Gb during normal operation. Applying the patch doesn't come with any adverse effects, only positives.

I was against recommending the patch too. But Biker recommended it to another user and it fixed their issue in spite of what I expected. My suspicion is that something in the OS was not allocating memory to Doom 3 correctly and giving the program 64bit addressing fixed that...

This is why I am suggesting at every instance, I have been using this patch on other apps I use.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...