The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 1.7.0 pre-release test

greebo

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biker, I'll compile a new x64 build for you, and this time I'll remember saving the symbols. Next time you experience a crash and get the notification that the applicaiton has stopped working, head to the Task Manager to create a memory dump of the DarkRadiant.exe process and compress the .dmp file using 7z with maximum compression, then send it over to me.

Get the new build here: http://www.dramthethief.com/darkmod/files/darkradiant/darkradiant-1.7.0pre10.x64.exe

Note that I can only debug crashdumps of this pre10 x64 build, not earlier ones.

I don't know if this issue has been reported already, but I'm getting a sort of flickering of model entities inside the 3d camera view, objects suddenly disappear when aproaching the edges of the view window, appear again when closer to the center. Oddly, some models disappear before others, seems to be random. They are doom3 entities and this is a 1.6 map opened on the latest 32 bits version, 1.7.09. No viewing problems on previous version (same map and models).

Viewing the models

post-8474-0-62534100-1320592157_thumb.jpg

Moving the camera slightly downwards and they disappear

post-8474-0-85487000-1320592178_thumb.jpg

PS: My entities are also rendered white in the viewports, which make them very hard to see against the grid. Models are still rendered in blue.

post-8474-0-20428500-1320593729_thumb.jpg

PS2: But I love the fact the models seem to be on idle position instead of generic "arms open" stance, made it easy to place that sword on his hand!

Edited by RPGista

If you can give me the section of that map (via PM or some other way) where this behaviour is reproducible I can look into it. I guess there are some more complex shader stages involved that mess up the openGL state.

If you are referring to custom entityDefs, then you probably just have to set the "editor_color" spawnarg to control their appearance in the editor.

I'm also getting an error when loading a background image, no matter the size or type, I always get a square "no shader found" texture instead (actually, I can't load one on the 1.6.1 version either, just shows a square outline, even though I read it was fixed back in March?).

Edited by RPGista

Ok got a crash dump for you Greebs but its massive, so will have to upload it and post the link etc. From the size(1.3Gb uncompressed (300mb compresed)) I would have to guess and say memory leak..?

Will post the link as soon as its finished uploading. I will also apply the 4Gb patch to this version of DR and see how it fares...

-DumpFile

I'm having a recurrent crash to desktop whenever I undo a "convert to func_static" and then try to redo it. It happened like 3 times now, so I dont think it's a coincidence.

I'm also getting a random error on DR startup, something about "incorrect initialization (0xc0000005)", whenever that happens I can't open the program (always get the same error) untill I restart the system. I have comodo firewall and I had a bunch of freezes when first executing the 1.7.09 version (comodo would ask my permission to run some operation and DR would freeze the system completely, had to manually restart two times), it seems DR and comodo are not friends and I wonder if the error has something to do with that.

Can you download the pre10 version and use that until you run into the next crash? When it crashes, open the Task Manager (with the DarkRadiant.exe process still around) and right-click the DarkRadiant.exe, then choose Memory Dump to save a .dmp file into your users folder. That dump file needs to be compressed (as it's very large) and uploaded to me, I should be able to debug the crash then.

edit: as bikerdude said.

Ok got a crash dump for you Greebs but its massive, so will have to upload it and post the link etc. From the size(1.3Gb uncompressed (300mb compresed)) I would have to guess and say memory leak..?

Will post the link as soon as its finished uploading. I will also apply the 4Gb patch to this version of DR and see how it fares...

I could successfully load the dump, though analysis is a bit tricky. All I can say is that I ran into this once in the past but was never able to reproduce it. It's a crash during rendering the nodes, but I can't say which one except for that it's a child of the worldspawn entity (which has 9550 children).

I'll have to try and harden that code section against the problem, maybe I can trap it somehow with more information, so I'll probably upload a new build for you soon.

(Btw, patching the x64 version is rather pointless, it's a native 64 bit app and can allocate as much memory as Windows is giving to it.)

(Btw2: the crash dump is so large because of the textures, you don't need a memory leak for that kind of memory hunger.)

Evenin

Ok found another bug, but its related to the weird FS issue I mentioned a few posts back!

1. open a new map

2. import an FS, in this case a gate I made from brushes.

3. clone said FS.

And this is where the problem starts, the cloned FS has the same name as the original.

4. select original FS and select revert to worldspawn.

And then what you get is the cloned FS gets corrupted and part of it disappears to be replaced with a small cube with noshader texture on it.

Greeb's want a bug tracker..?