The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 1.7.0 pre-release test

greebo

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found a bug I think -

When in render mode, entities that would emit light in-game (eg. a torch) don't in DR.I ahve attached two image to illustrate what I am referring too.The extra brightness in the second shot was because I increased the gamma, otherwise the image would have been almost pitch black etc.

post-496-131463204725_thumb.jpg

post-496-131463205566_thumb.jpg

I can't reproduce the filter issue, my DR is remembering them fine between sessions. Can you confirm that there is a filter tag saved to your filters.xml in your user settings folder.

The filter isn't present in the xml file during the session where it's created.

I shut down yesterday's session and checked the xml file again, and the new filter was present.

I brought up the new version of DR and the filter was there.

So, since the filters are written out when DR shuts down, I suspect that I had a bad shutdown in the case where the filters were lost.

@grayman: If the shutdown crashes are reproducible or if you figure out a pattern, please let me know.

It wasn't a crash per se, but sometimes, after saving my work and shutting down DR, it takes forever to quit. If I wait a couple minutes and get impatient enough, I'll kill it via the Task Manager, knowing there's no threat to my work because I'd already saved it.

I guess I'll just have to count to 10 and let it quit on its own.

Or maybe 100. wink.gif

Not another bug perse, but some feedback on the ability to look at particles in render view.

• Some particles (in this instance tdm_sparks & arc) arent being rendered correctly when in motion.
  • Also some of the particle effects are small enough that they are hidden by the func_emitter itself, one suggestion is when in render view the F_E is transparent, or invisible when a particle is assigned to it - just showing the effect?
  • When the F_E is selected render view is showing the particle decal images, but unselect the F_E and the particle looks as it would in-game.

When in render mode, entities that would emit light in-game (eg. a torch) don't in DR.I ahve attached two image to illustrate what I am referring too.The extra brightness in the second shot was because I increased the gamma, otherwise the image would have been almost pitch black etc.

Entities like that are 'combo entities', when TDM starts it attaches a light to the model, hence why you need to do the "set _color on flame" and such, to change the color when it spawns. DR doesnt take this into consideration. It would be cool if it could for lights however I'm not sure it's really feasible for an editor.

Disclaimer : I'm no greebo / orbweaver, so I am just taking a stab at that.

Its kind hard to take a screenshot of the bug, and it will have to wait till I get home in any event. But the effect is best described as parts of the object in the 3D view disappear which looking similar to far plan clipping. As you rotate the 3d model of the prefab and or zoom in/out the 3D model either disappears completely and/or partially.

What I do is make a vid and link so you/Greebo can see what I mean etc.

When minimizing the model viewer, you minimize the whole DR instance.

I think I fixed this previously via the glade xml but forgot to send in the diff, but I'm not sure. I'll have a look and try send in a few changes I have lying around anyway.

Want a bugtracker ticket?

1. Not sure if this is a bug because of the update...but a lot of my models/entities and brushes in the mission has been associated with the wrong layers. Sporadic brushes and stuff has ended up in the Default layer. Not a big issue, they are all back in place now :)

(This might be because of me not doing a good job putting things in the right layer in the first place, but it felt so strange with many things affected, that I haven't worked on for several months, and I recall having made "layering tide up" since then...)

Just mentioning it here if anyone else experience the same thing.

2. I cannot move anything in 3D-view, not entities or verticles on patches...

1. Not sure if this is a bug because of the update...but a lot of my models/entities and brushes in the mission has been associated with the wrong layers. Sporadic brushes and stuff has ended up in the Default layer. Not a big issue, they are all back in place now :)

(This might be because of me not doing a good job putting things in the right layer in the first place, but it felt so strange with many things affected, that I haven't worked on for several months, and I recall having made "layering tide up" since then...)

I had this happen yesterday with some moveables that were silently placed in Default when Default wasn't one of the 3 layers I had visible at the time. They remained visible. Subsequently making a fourth layer visible made my new items disappear as DR recognized they were in Default, which was hidden. Disconcerting. This problem has been around awhile, but I thought greebo had fixed it. If so, then it's reverted.

Its kind hard to take a screenshot of the bug, and it will have to wait till I get home in any event. But the effect is best described as parts of the object in the 3D view disappear which looking similar to far plan clipping. As you rotate the 3d model of the prefab and or zoom in/out the 3D model either disappears completely and/or partially.

I'm seeing this now with the writing bureaus.

Looks like it might be prefab-dependent. (wag)

For example:

furniture/simple_shelf_kitchen_supplies01 has this problem.

furniture/simple_shelf_kitchen_supplies02 is ok.

furniture/simple_shelf_kitchen_supplies03 is ok.

It seems that the particle-editor input fields for things like particle-count etc don't properly save/apply the values if you directly write into them.

Pulling on the sliders or ticking the jump-buttons works fine however.

I was a bit shocked firing the editor up and not having to wait 5 minutes until all the particle-definitions were loaded :D

Edit:

Minor Feature suggestion ( probably already planned ) :

An auto-loop mode for the particle previewer, which automatically restarts the playback once the full lifetime of the particle effect has been reached. Saves some manual clicking ;).

• 2 weeks later...

Another update, this time with some bugfixes, new features and probably twice as many new bugs.

http://www.dramtheth...t-1.7.0pre3.exe (32-Bit)

http://www.dramtheth...7.0pre3.x64.exe (64-Bit)

Disclaimer:

I'm very grateful if you use this pre-release build and report back any bugs, it's vital for development. Though please don't use it if you're not in for some risky editing. Make frequent backups, even more than usual. That thing might crash where previous releases didn't. This is not a release candidate, it's a beta. It's not considered stable, I guess I made my point.

Changes since the last pre-release:

- Especially aimed at grayman: I fixed that one layer issue we PM'd about, and the layer corruption on map load might be fixed in this build. Please beware that loading a map saved with the recent prereleases will almost certainly corrupt your layers - I'm sorry for that but I can't do much against that. Loading a 1.6.1 map should be fine though.

- A real-time MD5 animation preview has been added as major feature (see Entity menu), that one took me a while.

- The Particle Editor is now properly responding to manual inputs.

- The Particle Preview has now an auto-loop feature.

- The Model Selector has been redesigned, mostly behind the scenes. At least there shouldn't be any black models. (@Bikerdude: I guess what you were seeing was the shadowmesh).

- The scenegraph has been undergoing some redesign, this is a major step behind the curtain - hopefully you won't notice anything.

- The Prefab previewer should be working again now.

Known issues:

- The About dialog is crashing the app... it's a major WTF, I'm investigating that one.

A real-time MD5 animation preview has been added as major feature

Cool! That's the only thing I missed about the original D3 editor! :D

when a brursh with some textures, said brush dosent become high-lighted, see attached.

This is still the case.

Also only on 1 map do I get a crash when importing a tdm prefab (in this case the Ai_eating prefab). Other maps I can import the prefab just fine - The error is below.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: DarkRadiant.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 4e6e6a40

Fault Module Name: model.dll

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4e6e6a73

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0000000000007590

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: b40b

Additional Information 2: b40bf2d279d9dbaead6827f2caf01075

Additional Information 3: 012e

Additional Information 4: 012e87e88c2d7e9193d8d5cd0c279ef5

On another note, thanks for making the func_emitters wireframe, much easier to see the particle effect now!