The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 1.7.0 pre-release test

greebo

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, greebo.

The problem with layers getting corrupted at read time is still there.

I need more info. You are reading a .darkradiant file created by which DarkRadiant version? The most recent pre-release (pre4) should be able to read a .darkradiant file which has been created by DarkRadiant up to 1.6.1. (The intermediate pre-releases pre1 and pre2 borked the layers file because they saved layer info for particle nodes, so any .darkradiant file saved with pre1 or pre2 is most likely corrupt, unless the maps didn't have func_emitters in them).

Here's yet another test build (pre5):

http://www.dramthethief.com/darkmod/files/darkradiant/darkradiant-1.7.0pre5.exe

http://www.dramthethief.com/darkmod/files/darkradiant/darkradiant-1.7.0pre5.x64.exe

Changes over the last pre4 build:

- Fix layer loading code. Please check if this build is still corrupting layer information on map load.

- Fix Refresh Models command (was broken in pre4)

- The About dialog doesn't crash anymore - this was probably a one-time glitch with pre3, I don't know.

Layer corruption is gone. (At least in my case.)

THANKS!!!

Because of other things going on, I might not be getting back to this large map before you release 1.7. So I won't be able to do further layer testing. Hopefully others can.

May 1.7 finally put layer issues to rest.

Not so fast Im afriad...

• my 1.6.1 layers didnt import into 1.7, I had to redo all my layers. But the redone 1.7 layer opened up alreight in 1.6.1
  • Map loading has gotten slower compared to 1.6.1 and previous versions of 1.7, Im refering to the very last bit where DR is finished loading and dispalys the map. There is now a 1-2sec delay, instead of the instant dispaly once loaded as per 1.6.1 etc.
  • Also getting a save bug, see attached.

post-496-131662887683_thumb.jpg

I opened an old version of my map in 1.6.1 that was made in 1.6.1 back on Aug 10.

Layers were good.

I opened the same map in pre5.

Layers were good.

So there might not be a general problem importing pre-1.7 layers into 1.7.

It's probably something specific in BD's map.

Map loading has gotten slower compared to 1.6.1 and previous versions of 1.7, Im refering to the very last bit where DR is finished loading and dispalys the map. There is now a 1-2sec delay, instead of the instant dispaly once loaded as per 1.6.1 etc.

The overall loading speed should be the same as with earlier versions, 1.7.0 just does all the texture loading at the end of the map parsing now, that's what you experience as delay. Previous versions performed the texture loading during the progress bar was filling up that's probably why you didn't notice it. I already thought of displaying a small message to tell users what's going on and why the map is not rendered yet.

Also getting a save bug, see attached.

Interesting. Did you actually have the map file opened somewhere else (Doom 3 maybe)? Or is it just DarkRadiant?

As for the layers problem - can you give me an example map+darkradiant pair that doesn't import correctly in the most recent 1.7.0pre5?

(Also note that .darkradiant files created with pre1 and pre2 are most likely corrupt and cannot be read correctly by any other version. Those two pre-release versions had a layer save bug.)

What was the reason for doing the tyextute loading at the end rather than during the map load..?

Since DR 1.3.2 I have always had Doom3 running in a window at the same time, up untill now I have never had an issue saving files. But I will check again with just DR open and see if I get the error.

With regard to the layers issue. I will check with another bigger map Im working on and get back to you.

I've fixed the prefab import issue grayman mentioned as well the save error message in bikerdude's post (fixes are in SVN). I'll wait for details of the layer problem, and once that's fixed I'll upload another pre-release build.

Yet another pre-release build, we're getting closer to a stable release candidate:

http://www.dramthethief.com/darkmod/files/darkradiant/darkradiant-1.7.0pre6.exe (32 Bit)

http://www.dramthethief.com/darkmod/files/darkradiant/darkradiant-1.7.0pre6.x64.exe (64 Bit)

Changes since pre5:

- Fix a crash when importing certain prefabs with target lines in them.

- Fix error when attempting to create backups of non-existent .darkradiant files.

- Add new commands to activate/deactivate all filters at once (#2849).

- Display a modal dialog while loading shaders.

- Upgrade boost libraries to 1.47 (in an attempt to fix builds on more up to date Linux distros).

- gcc compilation fixes for Ubuntu 11.10.

- Fixed: Selecting items in a layer also selects hidden ones (#2868)

- Fix broken "Hide unused" setting in the TextureBrowser.

- The Entity List can be configured to show visible nodes only (#2831)

If anyone can give this build some more testing, I'd appreciate that, it's not too far away from a proper 1.7.0 release.

@Bikerdude: any news on the layer issue? Could you reproduce that problem?

Problems with that last one:

Downloaded and did a few changes to my level. The game didn't recognize the changes and so I reinstalled DR 1.6.0; no changes had been left from my previous save in DR 1.7.0. The only thing that changed was that my layers are now flattened <_<

Very strange, angua had the same problem yesterday, though we couldn't figure out what was causing it. Can you give me more information about what you did, what programs you had running at the same time and whether there are warnings in DarkRadiant's console?

Can you try to reproduce that problem, that would really help me here.

Problems with that last one:

Downloaded and did a few changes to my level. The game didn't recognize the changes and so I reinstalled DR 1.6.0; no changes had been left from my previous save in DR 1.7.0. The only thing that changed was that my layers are now flattened <_>

I've got a clue now what might be going on, I think I'll be able to fix it.

As for your changes: they should be still there, you might find them in a pair of temporary files, like this:

maps/gathers.map14566241321 >> this is the map file

maps/gathers.aux14566241321 >> this is the .darkradiant file

Ok, I've found the issue. If the .map file is currently open in Doom 3 DarkRadiant is not allowed to remove or rename the file. It's perfectly possible to write to the file, oddly enough. Which means I have to revert the changes I made to fix grayman's autosave-cancel issue discussed earlier this thread.

Hehe, with this new release, the layers are back. Even though I've recreated most of them, the ones I didn't redo are back. :)

I've seen this issue before this release but one thing I've discovered is that brushes, cut at angles and turned into func_statics have a habit of slide a few pixels. This means that models consisting of brushwork, converted to f_s's are producing holes as one want to caulc the invisible inside faces of the construction. Very annoying.

I see the AI is now tired of stretching their arms. Why is this change implied? :)

Edited by Fieldmedic

I've seen this issue before this release but one thing I've discovered is that brushes, cut at angles and turned into func_statics have a habit of slide a few pixels. This means that models consisting of brushwork, converted to f_s's are producing holes as one want to caulc the invisible inside faces of the construction. Very annoying.

How can I reproduce that, exactly?

I see the AI is now tired of stretching their arms. Why is this change implied? :)

The first frame of the idle animation is applied to AI (if there is an idle anim), now that DarkRadiant can handle the md5anims.

How can I reproduce that, exactly?

I've discovered it on a roof in my mission, basically consisting of a large box (the interior), and a huge triangular shaped brush placed on top. If one make that triangular roof into a f_s and save the map, the f_s have a strange habit of sliding just a smaaall bit, even less than a grid unit at 0.125 grid size. It becomes more apparant if one caulc the unseen faces as you see the pink line running across the edge of the roof, as the shingles becomes wall, or what I shall call it :). I cannot tell if it always appear, but I've only seen it on brushes cut at tight angles, like 45 degrees or less.

Another way to test it is to make a 2-3 unit thin brush and cut it into pieces, then rotate the whole thing. I guess it's these intricate cuts and angles that make the brushes slide out of sync so to say.

The first time I saw this thing was when I was working with my last map, and that was on 1.6.0 so it's not an error just on this edition.