I've never beta tested before but I'd like to give it a go. =3

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

I'm having a biiig problem with ambient lighting, even putting my gamma and brightness up to max - there is literally no ambient light at all it seems...

post-8023-131749799315_thumb.jpg

Now here's a strange thing - I tried restarting the level - and it seems a glimmer of bright ambient light is the default - then it is snuffed out and I have none - I'll try taking a screenshot.

One second after "spawning":

post-8023-131749906483_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glyph Seeker

Sorry, upload limit:

And here's how it looks immediately after: Default Brightness and Gamma which I use.

post-8023-131749912826_thumb.jpg

OK - shall we go on the assumption that something is wrong on my end? The ONLY map which is this dark on my TDM is The Sons of Baltona. All along I thought that was a "feature" to encourage use of the light switches - but now I think it must have been a bug with the ambient light. =-/

Shall I take a screenshot of that for comparison?

Edited by Glyph Seeker

Argh - I apologise if this is something obvious. I'm not a mapper, myself, so encountering problems doesn't mean I have any idea of fixing them. Has anyone else reported back via PM - and if so is it working for them?

I had to crank the gamma way high to see the buildings, but it is late afternoon, the worst time to be a taffer. I noticed that

I had to turn the shader thing to normal, because with simple or enhanced, some parts of the map would go black. There is also a part where you can see through the wall if you go right from the start and head into the alcove behind the large building. Now face down the street where the guard is coming from and you will see it on the wall above eye level. It is closest to the corner. Also, I recommend giving the player a lantern on this mission. It is quite dark, and there haven't been a lot of AIs thus far. It would help with atmosphere and aid in searching very dark rooms.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

-Chaps!

We should be doing the actual testing in a private thread...

Sir taffsalot, I have included Greebo in our PM to get you or your testers access to the beta testing section of the forum. (I already have access)

Fyi: When I have setup a testing thread I use the first post for bugs fixed/unfixed/suggestions and edit said post as people reply etc.

Sorry BD - I didn't actually know there was a sub forum for beta testing. :-X

I have got the same problem with ambient light. Maybe you updated slightli older file by some mistake?

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

@ lost soul I believe that for some reason the ambient light only works if your ambient setting is set to normal. Not simple or enhanced. if this helps I have a thread in the beta testing section for comments which I believe you have access to. Thank you.

@ PranQster and ithel I would love you to beta test my map. A couple of beta testers have already pointed a few things that need fixing. I wouldn't want to waste your time by having you pointing out things that I am already aware of. So I'll try and get them fixed this week. if your still interested I'll send you a link to download my FM later with the fixes applied. Thanks for offering to help.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

@ lost soul I believe that for some reason the ambient light only works if your ambient setting is set to normal. Not simple or enhanced. if this helps I have a thread in the beta testing section for comments which I believe you have access to. Thank you.

@ PranQster and ithel I would love you to beta test my map. A couple of beta testers have already pointed a few things that need fixing. I wouldn't want to waste your time by having you pointing out things that I am already aware of. So I'll try and get them fixed this week. if your still interested I'll send you a link to download my FM later with the fixes applied. Thanks for offering to help.

Alright, will check back later in the week.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I checked my messages and I don't seem to have a link to the private forum. Here are a few more thoughts.

When riding the elevator up to the top of the church, there is a z-fighting glitch on the control panel at the top just below the buttons. Some of the (very cool!) blue torches in the crypts do not cast shadows. These are mostly the ones near where the revinants(sp?) patrol.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I checked my messages and I don't seem to have a link to the private forum. Here are a few more thoughts.

When riding the elevator up to the top of the church, there is a z-fighting glitch on the control panel at the top just below the buttons. Some of the (very cool!) blue torches in the crypts do not cast shadows. These are mostly the ones near where the revinants(sp?) patrol.

I just PM'd Greebo and he said that you should already have access. Under the Off Topic section of this forum do you see a section for bete testing?

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker