The Dark Mod Forums

Training Mission

BBB

Hi:

I am an experienced Thief player and author and just got Doom 3 to play some FM's and potentially to author a mission. In the training mission, I am at the part where you are learning to sneak and got as far as a hallway where you are asked to take a key from a guard after he turns and open a door at the end of the hallway. I have replayed this section so many times I am dizzy but cannot get past it (very depressing for someone who has played Thief for so many years). I tried sneaking up to a box in the hallway, hiding and trying to grab the key as he walks by, tried following him (evidently these guards have great hearing and he gets me when I get close), etc.

Can someone please give a hint as to how to play this part? I feel like a dope for not being able to get past this and want to finish training and play a real mission.

Thanks

BBB

If it's any consolation, BBB, like you, I've found the AI in TDM to be significantly more attentive than those in Thief. They take some getting used to, that's for sure. I think I did that part by hiding behind the stack of boxes/box and snagging the key as he went by.

Yes, that's the way to do it.

I can't remember if that's the place to put down moss but I do remember following him as he goes back and crouching behind the crates then when he comes back slip behind him, grab the key and move forward quickly to the door. I think that door is in a little shadow so you can go through quickly even if he is on the way back. I don't think there is enough shadow to wait for him to come back and go away again though.

Remember to use the 'use' control not the 'frob' control to use inventory items like keys.

I don't think that's specifically the place to use moss because I recall a tile floor later on where you have to use moss. I'm not even sure if you have moss yet in the crate room. There's more equipment to pick up later.

[EDIT] I don't think the above is really a spoiler because it's a trainer mission to teach how to do it but just in case anyone objects I've added them.

Thanks to all. YES, the AI are quite a bit smarter than the Thief games where you could bang into the guards and they never were alerted. I used the suggestions and got through that part and finally moved on. I am building a T1/TG mission at the moment but once I finish I think I would like to make a Dark Mod mission. Just trying to play a few FM's and get the feel for it.

To the team that developed Dark Mod, I take my hat off to you all, the game looks great and the guards are really smart (hopefully, not too smart!!). I am hoping you can build bigger more open maps with Dark Mod which is what I really love, but unfortunately, Dromed does not like big open spaces.

BBB

We're pretty much in the same shoes, BBB. Except I had taken a long break from Dromed (the only mission I made was in TG, over eleven years ago)and was going to be relearning it to make a new mission, so I bit the bullet and have been learning TDM's editor, DarkRadiant, instead. How far along are you in the build process on your mission?

Thanks for the kind words, greatly appreciated. I have been working on a T1 mission since I released Augustine's Revenge but now have a job where I work ridiculous hours and have little time for Dromed. So it is going at a snail's pace. Anyway, all the outside architecture and sound is done and I am working on lighting and inside stuff. Still a long way off from finishing but at some point I will finish it and then maybe look at making a Dark Mod FM. I am not loving the mission I am building but I always feel that way when I am building until I get the story line worked out. I think the story is the most important part of any mission.

Hey, ithel, what was the name of your TG mission? I have played them all and really love TDP over all the others. Probably because Bafford was the introduction to Thief and it is nostalgic to me. Still remember the first time I blackjacked Benny and jumped down the well!

Hopefully sometime later in the year I will be learning Dark Radient.

BBB

Don't get too excited, I was definitely not a top tier FM maker, heh. I made "Hush, Hush...Sweet Harlot." I did get significant help with the conversations from KGoodsell, as my own scripts were pretty buggy, but everything else was my work. Somewhere in the intervening years, a corruption was introduced so that one side of the conversations (my own voice-acting) no longer work, though the voice files are still there. I'm about four comuters removed from what I used at that time, so broken it shall remain. A really great voice-actor did the voices of the harlots in the brothel ("oooh....right there....") and a good friend from Germany at the time recruited voice-actors for a German language version released at the same time as the English one.

I'm also still playing catchup on fan missions released in the last six years, so I will definitely put yours next on my agenda. :)