The Dark Mod Forums

taffersparadise TS3 server

LordSoth

Updated with new image dude, much like the newer one to looks better. Hope peeps use the Teamspeak server to, only up for a month just to see if it is well used if so ill keep it up there longer.

Will also be having a map compo for darkmod fan missions starting tomorrow, will post details on my site tomorrow and on here to, for now im off to work laters all.

Edited by LordSoth

Will also be having a map compo for darkmod fan missions starting tomorrow

You realize we just finished a contest three weeks ago, right?

It's like he's out of the loop, but that might be some of the appeal. I have a feeling some people might think about mapping for Darkmod, like old dromeders, but feel intimidated like we're so inclusive with a small circle of people doing everything and not welcoming to outsiders -- which isn't true since we'd love nothing more than more mappers. But anything that makes a newbie mapper feel wanted could be a good thing, and that's what an out of the loop contest might offer.

But just as a practical matter Spring has a point. It's a matter of how many mappers another contest could attract, and coming right on the heels of one might make that difficult. I guess we'll see.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 2 weeks later...

A small contest between first time mappers could produce some interesting results, I know that whenever I play a new Sotha or Biker mission (or even The Creeps!), some of the beauty, innovation, attention to detail and wonderful geometry becomes intimidating, as it's clear they're far more experienced than myself.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

It's funny but I was thinking the exact same thing myself yesterday. A contest where the only people who can enter are people who have never made a TDM FM before.

Sounds good to me. Since that would not involve burning out existing mappers, it might be possible to start collecting enrollments immediately. Once enough people have entered, the contest would begin. Since it would be newbie contest, the theme should be broad enough to allow maneuvering. Also the contest time limit should be very generous. Maybe several months. If possible, it would be cool if some veteran mappers would volunteer for mentoring and giving advice to the newbies behind the scenes.

Since the contest would be for first timers, and it is wise to start small, I would suggest the contest had a fuzzy xyz size limit. Just to make sure people would not bite more than they can swallow. That's something even the veterans seem to do.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I have started mapping more seriously a bunch of weeks ago, I'm still in the beginning of course (around 5%?), taking it slow, but if no one would mind, I would like to be a part of such a competition if/when it arises, I have observed many times that i usually produce more if I have a dead line to guide my progress, otherwise you can get sidetracked with details and take longer than needed.

My mission is not big, but a bit ambitious in the sense that there are a few crucial moments that I have no clue how to pull it off, and am counting on the future help from the community when the time comes (wont be bothering people too much untill then).

I have started mapping more seriously a bunch of weeks ago, I'm still in the beginning of course (around 5%?), taking it slow, but if no one would mind, I would like to be a part of such a competition if/when it arises, I have observed many times that i usually produce more if I have a dead line to guide my progress, otherwise you can get sidetracked with details and take longer than needed.

My mission is not big, but a bit ambitious in the sense that there are a few crucial moments that I have no clue how to pull it off, and am counting on the future help from the community when the time comes (wont be bothering people too much untill then).

I've started a TDM Beginners Contest thread to see if there's any interest. If you've just started you could join in. Help get the ball rolling.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker