The Dark Mod Forums

UK:10cm of snow in 6 hrs

Bikerdude

Well this is Finland last friday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9mLTPUr3hI&feature=related

There was some tens of car chain crashes that day. I myself dodged barely one chain crash when returning home. Got an intense fight-or-flight -feeling.

Miraculously no one got killed, but 40 or so got hospitalized.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Amazing what high speeds people drive in that weather...

(And while it is sort of cool to see that video-recording has been become so common - it is sad to see that all we get a are wobbly-tiny-pics in a crazy aspect ratio.)

We currently have -5.. -10 and sunshine during the day, -10 -. -20 during night - depending on exact location, it gets very very cold at night in some valleys. Unfortunately, no snow - this spells doom for a lot of plants, esp. the early flowers, because we had like +5..+10 the weeks before.

And btw 10cm snow in 6h isn't that much but I guess it is for the UK?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Aye! I just need to comment this since I almost got crashed myself. I have this habit of strictly obeying the "must be able to stop the car within the area of visibility" rule. There was a 80km/h limit in the area. Visibility was very poor so I drove something like 40-50km/h, depending how far I could see.

Even at my low speed, when the blizzard curtain was momentarily lifted and I could see tens of crashed cars before me. I started instantly braking. ABS kicked in, and I realized the road was mirror ice and the car was not gonna stop in time, so with sheer luck I was able to steer away from the crashed cars to a motorway ramp that just happened to be next to the crashed vehicles. If that ramp would not happened to be there... well, WHAM!

And I must point out that while I was crawling forward at 40-50km/h, there were other cars passing by me and fast.

The weather conditions were so bad and treacherous it truly was a miracle no one got killed.

Clipper

That was my reaction too. In those conditions I would have driving at less than 10 mph, but some of those vehicles look like they're doing about 40. I think people assume that because they have ABS and/or traction control they can just pretend the ice isn't there and the car will just sort it out.

And btw 10cm snow in 6h isn't that much but I guess it is for the UK?

It's not all that much even by UK standards (where I live there is only about 2-3 cm); it was either last year or the year before that about 30 cm fell in one night, which caused a lot of travel disruption. It's not that the actual amount is large compared to European countries, but because heavy snow isn't a normal condition in the UK people are not so prepared for it. It can take several days for the gritting trucks to cover all of the roads, and a lot of people don't have snow shovels or other tools for digging out their car. Hence this useful website.

True, sometimes you can't just be slow enough and it is hard to judge on wether 40 km/h is still slow enough (one has the tendency to think one is already quit slow if one was driving fast before).

I have had a few near-crashes on ice myself. Imagine you have a road that is flanked left and right by a deep ditch, and it goes around a curve and as you go around your car spins on mirror ice, and there are cars coming towards you and behind you. My car was doing a 360 flip and I have still no idea how it managed to not fall of the road or hit anyone. We all stopped and after doing so and getting out of our cars, we are falling on our asses, because it was so polished-by-the-wind ice that you couldn't walk. Took all quite some time to get back into the cars and out of there (and I would have had to turn around, but couldn't even do this on the small road :D

And I still remember when I was driving on the highway, perfect sunshine, dry road (it was either autum or spring, forgot which), and I was just passing under a bridge and it looked quite dark ahead, so I was wondering why coming out under the bridge and it was still somehow darker as if something casted a big shadow on the road... next thing I knew I was driving into a solid wall of water - zero visibility and 10cm water sheed on my windscreen. Braked and it seemed I drove into a canal - water was flowing down the road like a river left and right and you could not really see more than 1m.

Most cars stopped on the side of the road (shoulder lane, luckily this was a highway with one), and it was a miracle nobody crashed, but some idiots where still trying to overtake and drive on. We all did hit an oncoming thunderstorm front at full speed e.g. with about 100..130km/h and if there would have been already stopped cars in front of us, a mass pile would have been the result.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

It's not all that much even by UK standards (where I live there is only about 2-3 cm); it was either last year or the year before that about 30 cm fell in one night, which caused a lot of travel disruption. It's not that the actual amount is large compared to European countries, but because heavy snow isn't a normal condition in the UK people are not so prepared for it. It can take several days for the gritting trucks to cover all of the roads, and a lot of people don't have snow shovels or other tools for digging out their car. Hence this useful website.

LOL I have the habit to always have a bucket of grit and a shovel in my car in the winter, even tho here it is the same, 90% of the time you don't need it. But since it is all hilly and I travel a lot, it comes in quite handy. And better be safe than sorry.

And yes, in the sourthern parts of Germany people just deal with the snow, but in the middle and north they are unprepared every year. The "communities" are a bit better prepared than the normal people (who seem always to assume that the snow will not affect them somehow), but then, it costs real money to keep 20 snow trucks and then never needing them in most years. So the pressure to save money is definitely there.

I was going out to see a band with my Dad but the snow put a stop to that - I live up a hill without much traffic so the road was quickly difficult to pass. =-<

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

-17 to -33 here, saw that finland had -43 in the north-eastern areas, i thought the UK was used to snow?

Yes were all used to snow here... well everyone except the people who run puplic transport. Still I shouldn't complain. This will probably mean a few days off work :smile:

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Here in Winterpeg er... I mean Winnipeg we usually have a good 2 - 3 ft of snow by now. We've been breaking records like crazy this winter. It's been absolutely beautiful! Hovering around the zero mark today (and for awhile already). The snowmobilers and skiers don't like it and it sucks for ice fishing but we've had some brutal ones the last few years - lots of -30C to -40C plus windchill so I am celebrating it. :D

Last winter we'd had so much snow on the prairies that when it melted many communities in two provinces were flooded out as well as many who lived on one of our largest lake shores. This year they're talking about a possible drought but still have 3 months of winter left so to early to say for sure. It seems like it's always feast or famine.

Stay safe all those who are getting it and are not use to it. :mellow:

I know this is off topic but I'm just curious:

1. Sotha you're from Finland?

2. If so, can you point me to some website where I could prebook dog sledge race in Finland. I'll be having 4 months of holiday after May and I want to go and see Finland.

1. Yup.

2. No luck. Never been on those. Sledge needs snow and things are pretty warm already around May.

Clipper