The Dark Mod Forums

Recorded eating sounds

AluminumHaste

Recorded them myself

Apple eating: http://www.mediafire.com/?a0fo77oovdax8wx

Crunchy Bread eating: http://www.mediafire.com/?say2dc33h68aink

I've looked at current setup but can't figure out how to get them working in game. Right no eating anything in game plays like a sound of meat hitting the floor.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

If you are talking about the sounds the player makes, we only use these two (the first is a D3 sound):

te@te:~/.doom3/darkmod_org$ ack snd_eat def
def/tdm_moveable_food.def
24:	 "editor_snd snd_eaten"		  "The sound that is played when this moveable edible item gets eaten."
25:	 "snd_eaten"									 "burger_impact"
38:	 "snd_eaten"									 "food_apple_bite"

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

At least on SVN we have only this file:

sound/meta/game/food_apple_bite01.ogg

(the others might be in a different folder, but since they are not used, it's a bit hard to search for them :)

Would be cool if we could get all new, d3-free sounds.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

They should be in the player vocals folder, if they're anywhere. :) The player getting tired while holding the bow sounds were also not being used. I think Grayman was working on enabling them...they might even be ingame now. I haven't had a chance to check. Anyway, I'll look into those player eating sounds when I get home in an hour.

So should the apple biting sound be moved to the voices/player folder, too?

Okay I think I found out why my sounds aren't being played, console output shows this:

WARNING: Couldn't load sound 'food_bread_bite_crunch.wav' using default
WARNING: Couldn't load sound 'tdm_ai_builder2_sleep.wav' using default
WARNING: Couldn't load sound 'sound/voices/builders/builder2/ai_states/builder
WARNING: Couldn't load sound 'food_apple_bite_crunch.wav' using default
WARNING: Couldn't load sound 'tdm_ai_wench_find_soft_corpse_female.wav' usingdefault
WARNING: Couldn't load sound 'tdm_ai_critic_greet_to_noble_male.wav' using default

Why is the game looking for .wav files? I made them .ogg files the same as the others. I tried adding .ogg extension to the def entry but that didn't help.

Here is the code I changed for the food items:

entityDef atdm:moveable_food_apple
{
   "inherit"            "atdm:moveable_food_healthy_base"
   "model"                "models/darkmod/kitchen/food/apple.lwo"
   "mass"                "0.2"
   "editor_usage"        "An apple a day keeps a doctor away. Two apples a day keep two doctors away. See under Moveables/Junk for apple core.  This food heals 1 HP when eaten."

"model_eaten"        "models/darkmod/junk/apple_core.lwo"
   "snd_eaten"            "food_apple_bite_crunch.ogg"

}

I also tried

"snd_eaten"            "food_apple_bite_crunch"

But it still doesn't work. Does this need to be tracked?

Okay I created a tdm_player.sndshd entry called

tdm_player_bread_crunch
{
sound/voices/player/food_bread_bite_crunch.ogg
}

I moved the food_bread_bite_crunch.ogg file to the sound/voices/player/ directory. Still getting no sound playing while eating bread and console still shows can't find food_bread_bite_crunch.wav using default

EDIT: Okay I realized I overwrote the base sound entry so fixed that now the console no longer shows that error. But when I eat a bunch of bread in Mandrasola I see this in the console:

Equip called

Equip called

WARNING: Couldn't load sound 'food_bread_bite_crunch.wav' using default

Equip called

Equip called

Equip called

Equip called

Equip called

Equip called

Equip called

Equip called

So it's still doing something weird.

Yup working, but there's a new issue I discovered; when there's no junk entity, the sound is played where you ate the item. So if you walk away from where you ate the food you will here the sound diminish away.

Yup working, but there's a new issue I discovered; when there's no junk entity, the sound is played where you ate the item. So if you walk away from where you ate the food you will here the sound diminish away.

Not sure what's up with the naming (that might one of these wierd sound bugs D3 has).

As for the "place where the sound comes from", I guess that the sound should be played at another channel (e.g. the VOICE channel), which is omnidirectional (so it always appears to come from everywhere including your own head).

That very probably needs to be fixed in the code that calls snd_eaten. If you make a bug tracker, I can look into it.

Edit: It might be easily fixable by yourself:

change this line:

ent.startSound("snd_eaten", SND_CHANNEL_ANY, false);

in script/tdm_equip_actions.script line 30. Try this:

// cache the sound first, otherwise startSoundShader might miss it
$player1.cacheSoundShader( ent.GetKey("snd_eaten") );
$player1.startSoundShader( ent.GetKey("snd_eaten"), SND_CHANNEL_VOICE );

That should play the sound as the player voice, instead of a sound starting from the entity that you are eating.

Yeah thanks Tels <3 That code worked perfectly with all the food I tried. I hope you don't mind I committed those changes to SVN along with the other sound stuff. Only issue was the GetKey caused a crash, it needs to be getKey. I'm going to bed now, see you in the morning :)

The bread only has 1 sound for now, I actually bought a french loaf made fresh earlier today so I'll record some of that tomorrow. Also have carrot sounds that I need to work on. Go check em out

Yeah thanks Tels <3 That code worked perfectly with all the food I tried. I hope you don't mind I committed those changes to SVN along with the other sound stuff. Only issue was the GetKey caused a crash, it needs to be getKey. I'm going to bed now, see you in the morning :)

The code was written "dry", e.g. I didn't try it out so excuse the typo :) And I don't mind, if you hadn't committd it, I had to do it :D As long as TDM gets better, I don't care who does what :)

Reading the comment on "startSoundShader()", I wonder if we shouldn't fix it so that it plays the sound even if it isn't cached yet. Having to issue the caching before seems very cumbersome...

I look forward to hearing these sound :)

Okay 2 carrot sounds added. I created a quick map and uploaded it to SVN, it's in the /maps folder called foodtest.map. Just dmap and run it, there's a table with bread, apples and some carrots to test out the different sounds.