The Dark Mod Forums

Playthrough of The Transaction

AluminumHaste

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few channels that commission others to play a game and they take to footage and commentate over it. I'm not sure if it pays at all or anything, and the only channel I can think of that does it regularly is retsupre. The downside is they wouldn't really be interested in dark mod since they normally only commentate absolutely abysmal games.

It has to be said, the sound presentation in this mission is freaking awesome. Play it with headphones on to really appreciate the sound. I bet most of you play games with headphones on (as I do).

Also, that texture

on the bed in the Builder section is insanely detailed. How come most of the beds in TDM aren't that detailed?

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Non-narrating is ok if it's the only video of the FM and people want to find a playthru, but if there gets to be more of them, it does sort of call for narrating to make it stand out from the crowd. You can even experiment with it after the fact on a separate sound track recorded after, and then easily cut anything that sounds bad so you get the vibe you want. But it's not a big deal anyway. It's always good to have more playthru videos getting made.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

This leads to the question:

What is the purpose of playthrough videos anyways? If the mission had difficult show-stopper puzzles, I would understand, and even then a written walkthrough would be better, because the reader can quickly find the point where they are stuck.

A Let's Play videos are clearly meant for entertainment purposes, but watching a video can never be as entertaining as experiencing the mission oneself, first-hand. Why watch a video when you could play it yourself. If you *have* played the mission already, why spend precious time to watch someone else play it?

This leaves only the option that these videos have mainly advertisement and PR purposes. Would well-made trailers and stuff be more valuable for that task?

Just curious. I one of them old farts who don't understand these new video-of-everything phenomenon. Is there something more to it than just the stuff I listed?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I can think of two big reasons...

1. The main reason I think is entertainment, and to respond to your two questions ("Why watch a video when you could play it yourself. If you *have* played the mission already, why spend precious time to watch someone else play it?"):

1) Sometimes you might not want to bother playing it yourself, but are happy to skim a play thru video to get the gist of it, and when people are talking about that FM you know what they mean. OR they're not sure if they want to play it or not (we all have big backlogs), so they watch some of a playthru to see if it's a good FM worth playing or not.

2) Watching other people play an FM you already played is *not* (always) redundant because they'll play it in a different style, and you realize more about how the FM plays when seeing someone with a much different play style take it on. This is something you discover when people beta-test your FM and you can be surprised and think, how did that happen? Watching other people's play thrus lets you find out.

This argues in favor of having commentary so you can get into the head of the player to know why they did something, and hear their reaction to events so you know how they're thinking. When they think about things differently than you did, IMO that can be entertaining to discover.

2. For a walk thru to answer questions you have... I've had to do this a few times because either the hint thread didn't have the answer yet and I didn't want to wait, or I didn't really understand it, or it was a massive thread and rather than reading it all I just watch the walkthru up to my part, because I know it's guaranteed to have my answer somewhere, and it's easy to find.

And as for not using a written walkthru, usually it's just more interesting to watch a playthru, and you don't have to parse any text. You just skip ahead & watch, so it feels faster anyway.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I was considering a voice over but realized I didn't have a microphone. I was also testing my new desktop computer and figured I might as well upload it since I had recorded all the play through. I only ended up cutting out about 2 minutes of screw ups.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Even though I've completed the missions, I enjoy watching other people play them. More so if there is a voice over. It is cool to see other folks' solutions to problems (like how to deal with guards), and they have frequently shown me things I missed while playing. I have told them about things *they* missed too in the comments.

Its also entertainment while I am doing other things that I hate, such as flossing my teeth. :)

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

• 7 months later...

This was the only thread that I could find for The Transaction, so I'll post my thoughts here.

This was easily one of my favorite missions.

The cutscene with the bookstore owner and the revenant was really cool! I really liked the usage of items to continue the quest like the spectacles and the firewood. The side mission with the builders was my favorite part. Rescuing the woman and stealing enough gold to make Garrett jealous was really cool!

It would have been nice to have some more readables in the plague house to tell a more detailed story

Thanks for making this great level Sotha!