The Dark Mod Forums

Overlapping text

At0mic

Hi,

Love the mod, but there's an issue I've been having for a while which tends to pull me out of the atmosphere. For some reason, SOME (but not all) readables seem to have overlapping text in them. As far as I can tell, books, scrolls and occasionally signs are all susceptible to this problem. As an example, I've pulled one from the The Tears of Saint Lucia mission included with the mod:

qcVfsTI.jpg

When the sign is selected:

BT3OO7e.jpg

I've seen this happen in other mods as well. In some cases you'll have text in a book appear on the wrong pages. I've tried the usual things like deleting all the config files in the mod's folder and starting from scratch. Even starting with a fresh version of the mod, not changing any settings (graphics or otherwise) and going straight into the Lucia mission, the same issue appears. I don't want to call it a bug because I haven't seen anyone else mention this problem, but I can't see what's causing the problem.

I'm running under Windows 7 64 bit, fully updated from the thedarkmod_v1.08.9.zip download (downloading everything through the updater is a slow exercise in pain).

I apologise if this has been addresed elsewhere but I couldn't find anything. Appreciate any suggestions!

Edited by At0mic

Never seen that before. It's taking text from two totally different places and merging them into one. :huh:

I've seen that before, its like you've got to much text in the header which is then over lapping the main body text.

Drop me a PM of a prefab ove the readable with the accociated .xdata file.

I don't think this is happening in a mission he's making, this is happening in existing missions. He mentions St. Lucia.

Yep. Both texts are definetely from St. Lucia.

The one with the less words (see the miracle) is what should be standing there if I recognize the area right. The other text is from the diary of the priest or however he is called (where he is complaining about the phisical and psychological weakness of the acolytes). I don't think this could be caused by the fm itself neither by the mod, as this would mean that others should have encountered such things either.

I don't know how the system behind the readables work, but I would guess that it is either a corrupted pk4 or something graphic specific.

@At0mic: Do you encounter strange problems in other games, too?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Follow-up:

OK, first I'd like to thank everyone who posted. I've found the reason for the flaw, which it turns out is specific to St. Lucia:

It seems as though the thedarkmod_v1.08.9.zip version of the mod contains an extra file present in the darkmod\fms\saintlucia directory called saintlucia_l10n.pk4. I did some testing and noticed this file does not get downloaded when using tdm_update to obtain the mod, at least not for me. When this file is present, the overlapping text appears. By deleting it and restarting the mission, everything looks perfect.

I'm guessing the file is for extra languages since it has English, German and Italian string files, but something seems to be scewed up with it. All I know is that the absence of this file fixes the problem, and since I guess most people got the mod through the updater, they wouldn't have noticed. Oh well; thanks anyway, time to play it properly now!

Edited by At0mic

Glad you got it figured out, but you should really get your copy through the updater as well; the updated version of the map is a big improvement on the original.

I did run the updater though. I ran the updater supplied with the zipped version, just in case something had changed (which nothing did, since the zip is version 1.08 anyway). If you do that, surely it gurantees you have the latest version?

Are you suggesting I should just bite the bullet and start with a clean slate, start fresh using the updater on an empty folder, just to be sure? I can do that, just takes a while.

Oh, so the saintlucia_l10n.pk4 was left over from an older install?

Nope, a fresh install from the zip. To avoid any further confusion I'll clarify exactly to reproduce the problem as I see it:

Clean unpack, nothing else except the contents of the zip.

If, however, you decide to use the tdm_update.exe program to obtain the mod INSTEAD of the full zip, the saintlucia_l10n.pk4 file will NOT be downloaded, and hence you won't encounter the issue.

Edited by At0mic