Pilgrim

Hi folks

Sorry if I am wasting your time.

Would love to play TDM but it's just not working for me

I've downloaded the latest 2.10

However my machine is an IBM Lenovo laptop

Windows 7

Graphics is just the on-board Intel Graphics 4600

CPU is Intel Core i5-4200M CPU @ 2.5 GHz 2501 MHz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors

All the menus run just fine.  When I click "Start Mission" it goes through the "mission loading" and then crashes saying

"The Dark Mod has stopped working"

=> Check online for a solution and close the program

=> Close the program

=> Debug program

If I expand the "View problem details" it shows the following:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    TheDarkModx64.exe
  Application Version:    2.0.10.0
  Application Timestamp:    6210d5eb
  Fault Module Name:    ig75icd64.dll
  Fault Module Version:    9.18.10.3234
  Fault Module Timestamp:    51dc4268
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    000000000007b4da
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:    2057
  Additional Information 1:    e7f6
  Additional Information 2:    e7f66ca627e0d1de7d19adffc2b4363b
  Additional Information 3:    4c0d
  Additional Information 4:    4c0decc3bdaf732a7dfec0268eb4fb61

Any ideas would be appreciated but I'm assuming this is due to lack of a dedicated graphics card like NVidia or Radeon

Cheers in advance

Edited by Pilgrim

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Thanks for the feedback.

The driver in question won't load on my machine, says it's not suitable.

In Device Manager if I click update drivers and select Auto Search it comes back telling me my drivers are up-to-date so not convinced this is my issue.

I also ran Intel Update Manager and it also came back saying there were no new updates for my machine.

Interestingly there are a couple of Fan Missions for Thief2 that I get the same problem with, never knew why.

Could it be OpenGL version?  If so where can I see that?

Edited by Pilgrim

Try Lenovo's latest driver:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-l-series-laptops/thinkpad-l540/downloads/ds037213-intel-display-driver-for-windows-8-64-bit-7-64-bit-thinkpad-l440-l540

The HD 4600 GPU supports OpenGL 4.3 so it should have no problem with TDM ( OpenGL 3.3 features ) other than performance.

( You may need to lower settings and resolution. )

No dice

Not surprising as the Lenovo readme states that there are no significant changes in any of the releases since the one I have.

Version Info

<10.18.14.4414> (j4d214ww)
- (Fix) Fixed security issue.

<10.18.10.3431> (j4d211ww)
- (Fix) Fixed an issue that Intel video driver can't do upgrade install.

<10.18.10.3431> (j4d210ww)
- (Fix) Fixed an issue that can't change resolution successfully with DP1.2 mointor.

<9.18.10.3272>  (j4d208ww)
- (New) Initial release for Thinkpad L440, L540.

Googling the problem I see that in previous versions of TDM someone had the same problem and you solved it for them by telling them to delete "the gamex86.dll files then running tdm_updater to get new versions"

https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/14667-tdm-wont-start-doom3exe-has-stopped-working/

I don't see any such files in my version of TDM.  Is there something similar I could try?

The latest TDM versions do not have a separate gamex86.dll so that is not relevant to your issue.

The only thing that might be of relevance that is somewhat related is the VC++ version you have installed.

The newer lenovo drivers almost certainly have other fixes from Intel ( lenovo doesn't write them, they just modify them ) so I would still try the latest one.

Could be as trivial as out of memory

In order from least pain

1. Add more RAM
    • kill all running and background programs, including antivirus
    • use the texture quality cvars
  2. Search the web for recipes how to install "not suitable" drivers on locked laptops like yours
    • Try dual boot Linux with latest driver for it
  3. Get a newer PC
  4. Stay on 2.09
  5. Get the source code, debug, offer a workaround patch

I agree with the given sollutions above.

there are also people who would like to analyse your tdm logs. See wiki article: 

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Debugging_TDM_systemerrors

And there are people on this forum who love to analyse crashdumps. Howto create a crashdump, see wiki article: https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Save_a_Memory_Dump_for_debugging_Crashes

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

20 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

Windows 7

Maybe stupid question, but are you running Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit version? I thought it made sense that if you are running a 32 bit version, you would need to run the 32 bit version of TDM.

6 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

In Device Manager if I click update drivers and select Auto Search it comes back telling me my drivers are up-to-date so not convinced this is my issue.

That is not an indication at all. If I remember correctly,  in the new driver selection screen you can select a manual location, here you select the unzipped folder (from the dowloaded intel driver) with the inf file (the graphics folder, I think).

Two things:

(1) Which mission does it crash on? Does it crash on every mission you've tried? If you can get simpler (older) missions to launch, there might be hope still.

(2) You might want to consider trying an older version. Run the tdm_installer program again, select "Get custom version" and select a release like 2.08 or older. The installer tool can rollback to older versions even when launched within a 2.10 directory so it's not that painful to do. It will prevent you from playing some more advanced missions that use the resources of newer releases, but if it means you can still play the game with most missions, it's a compromise.

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.