The Dark Mod Forums

Springheel's Art Gallery

Springheel

Rather than posting lots of pictures, I'll just keep updating this one.

edit: A new version. I made a totally new room, with wood trim. Woot! I'll have to come up with some more ceiling choices.

room6.jpg

Edited by Springheel

Are we talking about this one? It won't let me connect.

/server 69.200.100.162

then, when connected,

/join #darkmod

I've uploaded the two paintings to the ftp site if you want to try them out. I'm wondering if my room is too small? The one picture still looks a little pixelated when you get closer to it.

Judging from the placement of your light entities in one of your earlier shots I'd say your room is too big, about as big as a good sized grand dining room at least. Judging from that I'd say that your paintings are about 15 feet high and cuz of that the texture is stretched way beyond the size it should be. Until you get used to building to scale, rightclick, go to char, and throw in the hazmat guy to use as a measurement when you're building your brushes.

I did the exact same thing when I built the first thief_room map.

But the picture itself is excellent, and when it's properly sized it doesn't show any pixelization whatsoever.

picture_test.jpg

Edit: This will help you out a bit. Look at the size of the light entity in relation to the painting. The brush itself is only 36 width 58 height, when you're working in Doom 3 you'll usually spend most of your time on the 2 or 4 grid.

Edited by Renzatic

Hey, looking good! I love the fireplace!

So would I basically just draw a smaller brush and set the texture to 'fit' that size?

Looking at the editor shot didn't do anything for me, sorry. I can see that the light looks huge, but I'm not really sure why that is..... Despite a couple forays into this thing, I still haven't got a clue what most of the editor does. :)

Edited by Springheel

lol, the light is huge cuz everything else is so small. It's like comparing a quarter to an ant...err...or something like that anyway.

But yeah, all you'd do is draw a smaller brush (use the 2 grid), and fit the texture to it. Easy as that. Remember to use one of the character models for comparison...that'll help you out alot.

But the picture itself is excellent, and when it's properly sized it doesn't show any pixelization whatsoever.

This looks really great. I was already worrying because the picture did lok strange a little bit on Springheels first post, but now that it is embedded in the setting it looks really good and fitting. :)

Gerhard

Hey Spring, I figured I'd make a little art gallery to hang your paintings (and as a side project, test the flexibility of my textures), check it out:

here

I'll send you the map once I've got a bit more in it.

Edit: Updated pic. It kinda grew beyond what I originally intended.

Edited by Renzatic

But yeah, all you'd do is draw a smaller brush (use the 2 grid),

Is there a way to change the size of the grid? (I'm not sure what 2 grid means).

The gallery looks great...send me a copy ASAP, cause I've got more paintings to test out.

You can either select a different sized grid by going to the grid menu at the top of the screen or hitting 1-7 (or shift + 2,3,& 4 for the really small scales). Because of the funky scale Doom 3 uses you'll find yourself working on grid sizes 2 & 4 the most once you get used to the editor.

Edit: Grab the map here:

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/maps/

The updated speculars and the accompanying material file are all packed in.

Edit 2: Damnit, just realised I forgot something..hold off on getting it for a sec.

Edited by Renzatic

I've added a blank frame to the ftp site so people can easily make their own painting textures.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some new paintings I've been working on (not the best lighting to show them off...)

paintings2.jpg

And look, a tapestry!

tapestry1.jpg

Edited by Springheel