The Dark Mod Forums

English Subtitles for AI Barks

Geep

The subtitles of The Simpleton vocal set is now available for eventual incorporation into TDM:

testSubtitlesSimpleton.pk4

"Vocal Script: Simpleton" says that he is "an uneducated, simple character, who speaks in a slow, measured voice. He goes about his life dealing with the here and now, and doesn’t think much about anything beyond what he’s doing. He could be a simple servant or labourer. For inspiration, think of the pirate with the wooden eye from 'Pirates of the Carribean', or Hank Hill from 'King of the Hill'. This is the default voice for common townsfolk, so don’t give him too much personality, or over-exaggerate it for laughs (even though some of the lines are played for comedic value)."

Statistics

In file fm_root.subs there are 496 inlines, including:

• 52 with an explicit linebreak, intending 2 lines
  • 444 without

Of these, 59 with explicit duration extensions, as follows:

• 37 from 0.25 to 0.49, for 17 cps
  • 22 capped at 0.50 seconds, for 17-20 cps

There are 3 SRTs, all representing vocalized tunes. Each has 2 messages,  with a 2-second start message and later 2-second end message. None required an explicit linebreak.

In all, there are 499 voice clips with subtitles, showing 502 messages.

Corresponding Excel File

SubtitlesSimpleton.xlsx

As usual, this is based on Version 5 of the Excel Template for TDM bark subtitles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The subtitles of the Builder 1 and 2 shared vocal set are now available for eventual incorporation into TDM:

testSubtitlesBuilder1and2.pk4

Under the wiki's "Voices", Builder 1 is described as "middle-aged; somewhat zealous; (suits builder guards, acolytes)".

Note: The St. Lucia FM has a dozen-odd "conversation" subtitles for Builder 1 & 2 distributed with the core files, and already defined in tdm_sound_vocals_decls01.pk4\tdm_stlucia.subs. These are excluded from the work here.

Statistics

In file fm_root.subs there are 483 inlines, including:

• 61 with an explicit linebreak, intending 2 lines
  • 422 without

Four of these have explicit duration extensions, all from 0.25 to 0.49, for 17 cps.

There are 11 SRTs, all with 2 messages. Of the 22 total SRT messages, there are:

• 14 with an explicit linebreak, intending 2 lines
  • 8 without

In all, there are 494 voice clips with subtitles, showing 505 messages.

Corresponding Excel Spreadsheet

SubtitlesBuilder1and2.xlsx

As usual, this is based on Version 5 of the Excel Template for TDM bark subtitles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The subtitles of The Critic (aka Bossy) vocal set are now available for eventual incorporation into TMD:

testSubtitlesCritic.pk4

The wiki's "Voices" article describes The Critic as "a slightly upper-class, know-it-all voice", good for a male character who "has an opinion on everything and frequently offers advice. Suitable for nobles, mages, inventors, and snooty servants or guards." For inventors and mages, specific vocal phrases are provided.

This speaker is a relatively fast talker, requiring more subtitle time extensions than most characters.

Statistics

In file fm_root.subs there are 293 inlines, including:

• 79 with an explicit linebreak, intending 2 lines
  • 214 without 

69 of these inlines have explicit duration extensions, as follows:

• 33 from 0.25 to 0.49, for 17 cps
  • 32 capped at 0.50 seconds, for 17-20 cps
  • 4 with more than 0.50 seconds, for 20 cps. The worst case one of these also was given non-verbatim shortening ("would have" replaced by "would've")

There are 14 SRT files, including:

• 12 with 2 messages
  • 2 with 3 messages

Of these, 7 were given a time extension past the end of the clip, in the range 0.20-0.50 sec, analogous to duration extensions in the inline files. (In fm_root.subs, there are actually 15 srt commands. Two of these had the same subtitle text and so shared an .srt file. This file is one of those with a time extension.)

Of the 30 total SRT messages, there are:

• 21 with an explicit linebreak, intending 2 lines
  • 9 without

In all, for this vocal set, there are 307 voice clips with subtitles, showing 323 messages.

SubtitlesCritic.xlsx

• Like 2

The subtitles of The Wench vocal set are now available for eventual incorporation into TDM Two versions, created earlier in the year, are released today with just-revised names. The first (created on Apr 21) was fully QA tested under April's 2.12dev:

testSubtitlesWenchOriginal.pk4

But it was noticed at the time that some of the voice clips do not correspond well with their TDM event categorizations. So, the second testSubtitlesWench version (created on Apr 24) is designed to be used with corrected voice clip names and categorizations, as detailed in bugtracker 6284. It was hoped that this bug report could be addressed in a timely way, so that this patched version could also be given final testing. But waited long enough; released now without final testing:

testSubtitlesWenchPatched.pk4

CAUTION: If you run this version with current 2.12dev and step through the subtitles, at some point it will fail with a console error. It will only fully succeed with a future 2.12dev with bugtracker 6284 changes incorporated.

EDIT: Since this was posted, progress has occurred on 6284. The result is reportedly a bit at odds with "Patched". Expect a 3rd, fully-aligned version of testSubtitlesWench to be forthcoming.

About The Wench

The Wench character is described as "uneducated, saucy and bold. The wench has been around the block; she is confident and flirty." She is further characterized in the wiki as "a low-class woman with something of a foul mouth". This vocal set comes with slightly different versions for soft-spoken women and "barmaids, whores, and female thieves".

Statistics

Original: In file fm_root.subs there are 535 inlines, including:

• 50 with an explicit linebreak, intending 2 lines
  • 485 without

Patched: In file fm_root.subs there are 533 inlines, including:

• 48 with an explicit linebreak, intending 2 lines
  • 485 without

None of these needed explicit duration extensions.

For both original and patched, there are 20 SRTs, including:

• 19 with 2 messages
  • 1 with 3 messages

Of the 41 total SRT messages, there are:

• 13 with an explicit linebreak, intending 2 lines
  • 28 without

In all, in this vocal set, there are:

• Original: 555 voice clips with subtitles, showing 576 messages.
  • Patched: 553 voice clips with subtitles, showing 574 messages.

WenchOriginalSubtitles.xlsx

This spreadsheet was organized with an early "v1" barks template.

Edited by Geep
Added "EDIT:" update about bugtracker progress
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A Problem Arises :(

I've paused subtitling of the Lady02 vocal set, because of a problem with the voice clips described here:

https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/21741-subtitles-possibilities-beyond-211/&do=findComment&comment=490151

While a way forward is being determined, I'll work on a different vocal set. Maybe manbeast, for which Kingsal just provided me the voice script.

• Like 1

Update of the "Explained" Doc for Spreadsheet Template v5

This doc covers all the vocal sets done with template v5, from June's Average Jack to November's The Critic. (Subsequent work will involve template v6.)  Within, changes from the original Explained are shown in blue. That original file, and the still-relevant "Overall" Doc, were linked here.

Explained - Subtitles Template v5 & Vocal Sets Using It

• Like 1

The subtitles of the Manbeast vocal set are now available for eventual incorporation into TDM:

testSubtitlesManbeast.pk4

Vocal script author Kingsal describes these underworld dwellers as once "men of the city, now twisted into beasts by some cruel god."  They "speak in a broken, almost sing-song tongue, interspersed with involuntary snorts and screeches."  Variants comprise two commoners and an archer/shaman.

Compared to other AI, Manbeast has far fewer voice clips. The voicing is somewhat reminiscent of Golum of Lord of the Rings.

Statistics

In file fm_root.subs there are 135 inlines, including:

• 19 with an explicit linebreak, intending 2 lines
  • 116 without

Of these, only 1 has an explicit duration extension (in the range 0.25 to 0.49, for 17 cps)

There are 3 SRTs, each with 2 messages. Of the 6 total SRT messages, none have an explicit linebreak.

In all, for this vocal set, there are 138 voice clips with subtitles, showing 141 messages.

Corresponding Excel File

ManbeastSubtitles.xlsx

NEW: This is based on Version 6 of the Excel Template for TDM bark subtitles, with 2 minor bug fixes from Version 5.

Change to GUI

New features of testSubtitles... for TDM 2.12dev compatibility:

• An oval at the top edge of each subtitle shows sound source direction (which in testSubtitles... is always the statue).
  • The width of the subtitle backing field is based on subtitle verbosity (which in testSubtitles... is always "speech").

Implementation: Override-file tdm_subtitles_common.gui, which was a customization of 2.11's file, is dropped. Its purpose is now served and enlarged by override-file tdm_subtitles_message.gui, a customization of earlier 2.12dev's file. This .gui continues to use the width-compressed Stone font.

• Like 1

As a reminder, I'm willing to give a shot at translating at least one of the voice packs myself if that would help and any are left: I take it it's as easy as loading the ogg directory in a music player, listening to them and typing down what I hear. I actually had half a mind to make my own someday... kinda hate how my accent sounds in english but maybe that would make for an interesting one.

Edited by MirceaKitsune

Thanks for that offer. My process is more complicated than that, and involves an Excel spreadsheet to manage the captions, and determine (partially automatically) for each one -

• if it needs breaking into 2 lines, and if so, where
  • if it needs additional presentation time, using the inline -dx option, and if so, calculates how much
  • if it instead needs to handled as a separate .srt file, instead of as an inline; based on both duration & character count

So, if you can work with Excel (and doesn't have to be latest version... mine's a decade old), and are willing to read some Word docs, then you can help at the transcription into Excel, at least for 1 of the vocal sets remaining. Otherwise, I'll have to pass on your offer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geep said:

Thanks for that offer. My process is more complicated than that, and involves an Excel spreadsheet to manage the captions, and determine (partially automatically) for each one -

• if it needs breaking into 2 lines, and if so, where
  • if it needs additional presentation time, using the inline -dx option, and if so, calculates how much
  • if it instead needs to handled as a separate .srt file, instead of as an inline; based on both duration & character count

So, if you can work with Excel (and doesn't have to be latest version... mine's a decade old), and are willing to read some Word docs, then you can help at the transcription into Excel, at least for 1 of the vocal sets remaining. Otherwise, I'll have to pass on your offer.

Which vocal set would that be? I'd like to know that I helped so if there's no real obstacle sure! I only touched Excel very briefly, but it should be enough to know how to work with it? I'm on Linux and use Libreoffice, I presume they are compatible though... in this case with Libreoffice Calc which is what I'd use.

OK. To confirm Libreoffice compatibility, please download one of the recent completed spreadsheets, e.g., for Critic or Manbeast (links in OP of this thread). Also, you will likely find it helpful to have such a worked example while reviewing the "Explained" doc discussed below.

Assuming compatibility, I'll programmatically pre-populate a fresh spreadsheet with .ogg filenames and clip durations for "The Drunk" vocal set (in the vocals04 pk4), and DM a link for that for you. While waiting, please review these two Word docs (see links in OP):

"Subtitle Style Guide - Part 1". There's a 1-page summary of main points at start. Skim the rest.

"Dec 7 Update of the "Explained" Doc for Spreadsheet Template v5". This details what the two worksheets and the columns within each mean. You will start with the "Compose" worksheet; I will have already filled columns A & B, and C is auto-calculated. Since we have no pre-existing vocal text script for The Drunk, column D will be left blank (TIP: hide it), and column F will be useless. You will start filling in column E, "Tweaked Subtitle".

There's lots more to say, but that's enough for now. The spreadsheet I send you will based on Barks Template v6, but it's only trivially different from v5, so the Dec 7 doc should be fine.

BTW, there's more workflow that is done before/after your part. If curious or need more context, see:

"June 10 Documents Explaining Workflow and Excel Spreadsheet/Template (for AverageJack)"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The subtitles of The Lady02 vocal set is now available for eventual incorporation into TDM:

testSubtitlesLady02.pk4

Lady02 is another noblewoman, somewhat newer and so unmentioned on the wiki. She is a drawling speaker, often indecisive, and given to long musings. Favorite topics are how boring life is for the wealthy, and how to keep men of the household and the maids apart.

Lady02 required heavier and more complex use of .srt files than most AI characters, due to:

• Her slow, rambling monologues
  • Some of the underlying .ogg files were poorly trimmed at the end, so needed compensatory .srt timings.

I appreciate the assistance of @datiswous in this effort.

Statistics

In file fm_root.subs there are 195 inlines, including:

• 25 with an explicit linebreak, intending 2 lines
  • 170 without

Only 1 of these needed an explicit duration extension, to the capped value 0.50 seconds, for 17-20 cps

There are 116 SRTs, including:

• 78 with 1 message (to correct trim problem)
  • 24 with 2 messages
  • 7 with 3 messages
  • 2 with 4 messages
  • 3 with 5 messages
  • 1 with 8 messages
  • 1 with 9 messages

Of the 187 total SRT messages, there are:

• 90 with an explicit linebreak, intending 2 lines
  • 97 without

In all, there are 311 voice clips with subtitles, showing 382 messages.

Corresponding Excel File

Lady02Subtitles.xlsx

This is based on Version 6 of the Excel Template for TDM bark subtitles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, datiswous said:

In what language?

They're all being done in english I imagine. I presume other languages might be supported for subtitles based on the language choice in the main menu, haven't thought of it but maybe later that can be done... if so just running them through Google Translate will hopefully do the trick with enough accuracy to have this as an option.

9 minutes ago, datiswous said:

Creating subtitles from/for audio is transcription not translation.

Oh, that's correct: My brain associated the word translating with transcribing, as I'm "translating" from audio to text :D

Speaking of which I already got the drunk subtitles done... somehow, don't know how I managed so many voices in a couple of hours! Gonna post it here as well. Hopefully this means we might see subtitles for all AI barks in the next dev version?

TheDrunkSubtitles(v0, based on Template v6).xlsx

Thanks so much. I'll review the spreadsheet starting tomorrow and after any tweaks, export to .subs as inline. Then convert any to srt that need it, and do QA. The usual process, tho possibly a bit slow due to travel/holidays.

I've already built a testSubtitlesDrunk to house the subtitles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The subtitles of The Drunk vocal set, with the assistance of MirceaKitsune, are now available for eventual incorporation into TDM:

testSubtitlesDrunk.pk4

This male alcoholic character has a rough, gravelly voice, slow and sometimes a bit slurred or halting. Besides general barks, there are utterances as a guard of the city watch.

Statistics

In file fm_root.subs there are 405 inlines, including:
  - 59 with an explicit linebreak, intending 2 lines
  - 346 without

Of these, only 1 needs an  explicit duration extension (in the range 0.25-0.49, for 17 cps).

There are 32 SRTs, including:
  - 27 with 2 messages
  - 5 with 3 messages

Of the 69 total SRT messages, there are:
  - 23 with an explicit linebreak, intending 2 lines
  - 46 without

In all, there are 437 voice clips with subtitles, showing 474 messages.

Corresponding Excel File

TheDrunkSubtitles.xlsx

This is based on Version 6 of the Excel Template for TDM bark subtitles.

Change to GUI

New features of testSubtitlesDrunk to advance TDM 2.12beta:

The oval ring showing sound source direction is now in a raised tab above the caption backing field (and matching it). That field is not as tall as it used to be, being somewhat tighter around the caption text vertically. The ring, with snatcher's sector design, and its red dot are also positioned better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All of the final versions are merged into SVN core.

The Wench still appears to have issues so that will need to be worked out after the next beta releases.

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Let me know when the sound file renamings done by Dragofer for bug tracker 6284 are incorporated into the beta release. (This may have already happened, dunno.) Then I'll revisit the Wench subs.

EDIT: @nbohr1more, I see beta3 has updated Wench sound files with modification dates of Dec. 7, 2023. So I'll take it from there.

Edited by Geep
  • Like 2