The Dark Mod Forums

Need some info on modern monitors (mostly about Adaptive Sync)

Xolvix

So recently my primary monitor died. It was purchased in 2010 and used TN panel tech so it had crap viewing angles among other issues, but I liked it all the same.

For a replacement I ended up buying the AOC 24G2SP, mostly due to generally good reviews on various sites as well as the recommendation of its predecessor by @chakkman in this thread. I'll be getting a hold of it soon but I already know about the benefits of IPS compared to TN - looking forward to consistent gamma levels no matter where you are looking!

One of the more important aspects however is I'm going from a 60Hz display to a 165Hz display. I'm only superficially aware of the various terms used for monitors these days, but this monitor is advertised as being "adaptive sync". Apparently this means it's not a native G-Sync monitor but what's called a "G-SYNC Compatible" monitor. That and terms like variable refresh rate, it's all confusing to me. I should note I have an NVIDIA card.

If nothing else, I just want to know if what I've read is correct - that within the NVIDIA control panel you enable G-SYNC, then global V-Sync ON for all games, and then within the games themselves, make sure the in-game V-sync is off (i.e. let NVIDIA take care of it all).

Finally, I want to avoid ghosting as much as possible without inverse ghosting due to overdrive settings that are too high. Some people suggest running games at a lower Hz to ensure the response rate allows for this to happen rather than at the full 165Hz. But others to leave the display always at 165Hz and never tweak it otherwise G-Sync will break. I'm so confused.

Sorry for the wall of text. Any advice on any of these topics would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Edited by Xolvix

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

1 hour ago, Xolvix said:

So recently my primary monitor died. It was purchased in 2010 and used TN panel tech so it had crap viewing angles among other issues, but I liked it all the same.

For a replacement I ended up buying the AOC 24G2SP, mostly due to generally good reviews on various sites as well as the recommendation of its predecessor by @chakkman in this thread. I'll be getting a hold of it soon but I already know about the benefits of IPS compared to TN - looking forward to consistent gamma levels no matter where you are looking!

Note that the current generation of that monitor doesn't have the same panel as the one I was recommending in the other threads. Mine "only" has a 144 Hz, but it's a bit better in terms of contrast.

See this video:

It's still a great monitor though, for the money.

Regarding the high refresh rate: You will have some fun with that. :) I also switched from a 60 Hz display to the 144 Hz AOC, and, it's a nice improvement, animations and moving around in games feels a lot more realistic with a higher refresh rate (takes more GPU power though, of course).

Regarding GSync: I frankly have no idea. I never understood the technology. I mostly use Vsync, when the game offers it.

• Like 1

Interesting topic, I'm not trying to restart an old debate but it's too bad Bikerdude isn't still here because he knows a lot about monitors and other technology. He helped me get my current monitor and he also helped a lot of other people here with these types of questions.

4 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

If you want to have no ghosting, get a 240hz QD-OLED

https://www.displayninja.com/best-oled-monitor/#ASUS_PG27AQDM

Bit late because I've already bought the display, but yeah I'm aware of those OLED monitors as well. Unfortunately I'm not willing to pay for the expense and from what I've seen, almost all display tech have some sort of drawbacks. It's all in comparison to a 2010 TN panel though - everything is better at this point.

• Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

VA would be a great panel tech for dark games like The Dark Mod as well, if there wouldn't be the drawback of the slow pixel reaction times, especially in dark scenes (which leads to ugly smearing with moving objects). Unfortunately, it is not even guaranteed with more premium models, as far as I've always read. The only decent monitor in that regard that I've seen is the Samsung Odyssey G7. It's curved though, and that's another issue with VA monitors: They're mostly curved.

Again, I think, for now, IPS is the best compromise, if you can get a panel with good contrast ratio, and happen to be lucky with a low amount of IPS glow in your specific model. I also think IPS is the most versatile, because, apart from being decent for gaming, it's also good for image or video editing, if you get one with good colour space coverage. For the future, OLED is surely the way to go, if they go for a cheaper price. That said, burn in still seems to be an issue with OLEDs.

As @Xolvix wrote, all panel techs have their pros and cons. 

Edited by chakkman

Well I finally got it and I think it'll rather swell. I've already gotten used to the higher frequency and fortunately I can throw the overdrive on the maximum without any noticeable over/undershoot.

I do have a minor quandary and that is with gamma. The monitor comes with three gamma settings - the default appears to target the standard 2.2, while the other settings will set it a bit above and below this level. After a bit of experimentation I'm tempted to set it to a slightly higher gamma, because this brightens the blacks a little better which can be useful sometimes. It also makes the monitor match the gamma of my old monitor a bit closer which helps with familiarity, but I'm aware I'm deliberately messing with the colors compared to what's intended.

I think I'm so used to the TN panel that on the standard gamma settings everything looks much darker now than before. I found I had to up the gamma/brightness in a lot of games manually when I didn't need to before, so I figured well if that's gonna be the case, why not just up the gamma in the monitor and save the trouble? But I don't know if I should just force myself to adapt to the 2.2 gamma instead like "normal" people.

EDIT: Damnit now I'm not so sure. Night scenes look a lot better at the default gamma, but more importantly TDM looks better with the default gamma. With the brighter gamma like I tested, sure it looks more familiar to my previous monitor, but it's also a bit more washed out. Plus of course the desktop is affected by the higher gamma which also affects things like images and other content. Default gamma it is then, if games are too dark I use the in-game brightness/gamma options like most people do. Unless you're playing Starfield. :)

Edited by Xolvix

6 hours ago, Xolvix said:

Default gamma it is then, if games are too dark I use the in-game brightness/gamma options like most people do. 

Good choice. :) I think it's the best setting to use. And, you don't have to switch when going back to the desktop then.

Starfield, yeah. None of Bethesda's games even let you set brightness and gamma, I think. What Starfield seems to do is do some kind of auto contrast depending on the lighting in buildings or outside. I dislike the bright black in Starfield though. Should be darker.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...