The Dark Mod Forums

Private Guards Concepts

oDDity

I'm workig out what the private guards will look like. We already have the basic hired thug, so these are the professional hired guard, and the elite guard for hire.

You can see the professionl guard is pretty similar to the guards nobles hire in Thief 2.

I wanted to give the elite guards some protection for the face. I'm still workig on a pauldron design, and maybe some armour plates hanging from the breastplate around the chain skirt. I'm not sure about armoured boots, since they'll need to be able to run as well. THey are well armoured and deadly with all their weapons, and I don't want the player taking them out with a broadhead from the shadows. The chances of hitting this guard in the face with an arrow at disance are now very small.

private_professional.jpg

Private_elite.jpg

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I was thinking that adding even more armour to thwe wlite will make him look too slow and cumbersome, so it's better just to add some trim using cloth.

YOu might hire the second one, but only if you could afford his wages - and these guys don't take 'sorry, I'm having a cashflow problem this week' for an excuse. These are the sort of guys who'd cut your throat, rape your daughter, piss in your bath and hang your cat as quick as look at you.

IF they were in a really bad mood, they'd rape your cat and hang your daughter.

elite2.jpg

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Very nice, Odd. I can see them now. I like the helmet design for the elite guard...it would give him some protection but not really interfere with his vision. The latest version of the elite guard looks awesome. I think that's the right amount of armour...any more would be too much. The black and silver is a cool mix as well.

I'm not sure I would even add pauldrons to the elite design. Keeps them a little sleeker and makes their silhouette easier to tell apart from Builder Guards.

As for the regular guards, something simple like that is probably fine, maybe with a leather strap or something across the chest to add some interest. They could have pauldrons or not. I wouldn't have all the characters wearing the same boots as our thief though.

Boots are boots. A generic pair of leather lace up boots will be fine for all the gurds. I can't be bothered doing a different pair for every charcater, the feet are the most unimportant part of a model, and don't get much (if any) attention in the game.

Farrell's boots are black leather anyway.

These elite guards are some of the biggest characters in the game, that guy is about 6' 6"/6' 7", the player will have to look up at him. Since they can kick your ass and are virtually immune to attack from the thief, I want them to look the part.

I think the oinly way the player should be able to deal with them is either explosive mines or gas (both of which are very rare items) or 3 or 4 fire arrows.

They will carry a huge bastard sword, a heavy crossbow and I'd like them to have an 8 foot long halberd, if only for show. I'm not entirely sure about giving them a small buckler shield or not.

THat helemt also ahs a chin strap, and you can see it comes down over the back of the neck, so the blackjack is useless against them.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Since they can kick your ass and are virtually immune to attack from the thief, I want them to look the part.

I think the oinly way the player should be able to deal with them is either explosive mines or gas (both of which are very rare items) or 3 or 4 fire arrows.

They will carry a huge bastard sword, a heavy crossbow and I'd like them to have an 8 foot long halberd, if only for show. I'm not entirely sure about giving them a small buckler shield or not.

THat helemt also ahs a chin strap, and you can see it comes down over the back of the neck, so the blackjack is useless against them.

Let's not go too RPG-ish ;)

RPGish? What's RPGish about a bastard sword, a heavy crossbow, or a halberd? THey're all realistic weapons whihc were commonly used.

Just becasue you commonly find them in fantasy RPGs, doesn't make them RPGish.

- Emil Zola

character models site

What has that got to do with an RPG either?

This is a battle hardened war veteran, who killed 100 men in bloody face to face melee combat. You only survive that long by being fucking good. He's covered in plate and chainmail and wields a bastard sword, and you can be damn sure he knows how to use it.

A skinny liitle thief with a short short would die in seconds, and that has to be shown in the game. No one in their right mind would even considerr attacking this guy, unarmoured, with a short sword.

Would you start a fight with the world boxing champion or a martial arts expert? No, and this thief wouldn't start a fight with this guy either.

The player has to learn that this isn't a shooter, and he hasnt got the automatic right to be able to kill everyone in combat.

Unfortunately there are idiotic items such as gas arrow and landmines in the game, and we obviously can't make these elite guards immune to them.

If it was up to me, landmines and gas arrows would be removed from the game, and they had no right to be there in the first place.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Unfortunately there are idiotic items such as gas arrow and landmines in the game, and we obviously can't make these elite guards immune to them.

If it was up to me, landmines and gas arrows would be removed from the game, and they had no right to be there in the first place.

Do you think giant spiders have every right to be there? I do, but am just curious what you think.

Regardless, I love the models you're making, as always.

Giant spiders can't be used as a gimmick to kill enemies which are far superior to you, and which you couldn't otherwise kill..

I see absolutely nothing wrong with having unkillable enemies in a stealth game.

- Emil Zola

character models site

white looks better but who on earth would give such color to guards?but even if... then after the use of weeks,months it wouldnt be white..more likely yellowish,brownish..even if there was washing machine it could keep its white colour

so this way the first colours are more believable to be used by them..

Giant spiders can't be used as a gimmick to kill enemies which are far superior to you, and which you couldn't otherwise kill..

I see absolutely nothing wrong with having unkillable enemies in a stealth game.

why would he carry traps,and special stuff if not to overcome things he couldnt otherwise..

well,not that i would care if those werent in the game, but i see nothing wrong about them..

Ahh, okay, oDDity. I understand. I don't see a *huge* problem with unkillable enemies either -- but no mortal is immortal... so I don't necessarily agree that there should be totally unkillable people. There should be *some* way of killing them, even if it involves hitting them with your sword 100 times; or dropping a 200 pound boulder on their heads. I don't mind working hard to kill seemingly unkillable NCPs; but I don't agree with making any mortal NCP invincible. I see what you mean RE: arrows/mines though. Unfortunately, I like my arrows/mines.

I'm not trying to 'counter' your plans with the guards you're making in any way.

I not saying the shouldn't be able to die, I'm saying the player shouldn't be given uberweapons™ to kill every AI in the game with - NOT in a stealth game.

There should be AI the player is scared of, that they don't want to get in a fight wioth, they want to sneak around and avoid, becasue they know they will die. THis is realistic, and it also adds to gameplay.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I agree. That's why I like the concepts of real ghosts, or enemies that can sniff you out (you can't hide smell) etc. As long as you use super-hard enemies sparingly, like they should be.

Regarding the face plate, will probably have to resort to code to say "nup, can't shoot them in the face, sorry" rather than rely on the texture collision to decide. If you go by texture alone, there's still about 80% of his face showing.