The Dark Mod Forums

Art Request. Game Menu Hud

sparhawk

That's really cool, I really like that. The ingame art really works with the book theme too. Nice stuff. :)

I really disliked the clunky menu of T3, it was really quite excessive. These suggestions really feel quite Thiefy. I wonder if the main menu could ..in theory...represent the book of prophecies? I had an image of my head of the Menu loading up with glyphs written on it at first, and then the glyphs morph into english.....start new mission, Load/ Save Game...etc.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really disliked the clunky menu of T3, it was really quite excessive.

It always looke dto me like a comic style. More fitting for Spiderman or such.

These suggestions really feel quite Thiefy.  I wonder if the main menu could ..in theory...represent the book of prophecies?  I had an image of my head of the Menu loading up with glyphs written on it at first, and then the glyphs morph into english.....start new mission,  Load/ Save Game...etc.

Wow! That really sounds great, but I think in that case the sepia tone will not work so good. for glowing glyphs a dark background would probably be better. Or maybe the glyps could look like fire burning the letters in the parchment. this would work with the book theme, I think.

Gerhard

Wow! That really sounds great, but I think in that case the sepia tone will not work so good. for glowing glyphs a dark background would probably be better. Or maybe the glyps could look like fire burning the letters in the parchment. this would work with the book theme, I think.

Yeah, comic book style. That nails it right there. That's a huge part of what I disliked about T3, the style was far more cartoonish....the originals felt more down to earth.

Wasn't thinking so much that they would glow, but would rather just morph. :) The idea of them burning into the page is cool though, I like that.

Wasn't thinking so much that they would glow, but would rather just morph. :) The idea of them burning into the page is cool though, I like that.

I understood you such that you meant the letter should start out like in a flahs and then condensing via glyph morphing into the final characters. Of course this should probably done only for the main menu when it is launched the first time. Might get boring if you are forced to watch it all the time.

Gerhard

with glyphs written on it at first, and then the glyphs morph into english

Neat idea, but we have to be careful...the glyphs were very central to T3 and we should make sure we don't copy any of them too closely.

Another slight problem I have is that it will get across a very mystical, bookish feel. Is that really what we want for Thief? It is a part of the game, no argument, but it was always on the edges of things. Even G. felt uncomfortable with them. To those that aren't as familiar with the games, glyphs suggest magic spells, wizards and mystical powers.

The look of the menu is the first thing people will see, and it will set the overall tone of the game, especially for those less familiar with thief. What kind of 'feel' do we want to send?

Edited by Springheel

Not really related in line with what we were talking about here....but I just mocked this up for fun. Someone at the ionstorm forums asked if we were going to change the name or just leave it as "The Dark Mod". Thinking of how Eidos and Ionstorm may take to us creating a mod inspired by one of their intellectual properties, I felt it would only be fitting to call the game THIS.

darkmodmenu.jpg

On a half serious note...*L* I think I might even like that name. HA.

@ pakmannen: Wow, I love that mock up.

@ Springheel: I see where your coming from. The inspiration for that idea came from the idea that the fans will be creating prophecies in a sense. Fan Missions are essentially adding to the story. :) Kind of mystical and fantasy oriented I suppose, but it's also in line with the Thief universe, just approaching if from a different and I think more cerebral direction. Kind of quiet and reflective, like the game itself.

As more fan missions are written, it would be like the prophecies unfolding. Just some thoughts to ponder. :)

Anyway, enjoy my silly mockup.

Edited by New Horizon

I like it! (I also considered 'Stop Thief" as a title. ;))

This is another very valid style to go with, as long as it is sufficiently different from the first two games. Very retro, and sets a nice steampunk tone. But you see how it wouldn't fit well to have the main menu this style and then the mission loading screen be parchment. We will have to make a decision.

Edited by Springheel

Okay, I like Spring's idea and love what Pak has done with it. The drawings should be thick line drawings with only slight shading applied, it'll look alot more stylish than using a full color pic and sepiatoning it.

So Pak...take what you've done, brighten it up a slight bit, and use a similar style picture for the background and it'll be perfect in my opinion.

But what would be a good pic to use? I think some neat schematical drawings would fit with it, something like the blueprint for Garrett's mechanical eye that was shown during the beginning of the first big Thief 2 cutscene...that would look pretty cool.

The drawings should be thick line drawings with only slight shading applied, it'll look alot more stylish

Well, if we decide this is the route to go, we have someone with a lot of experience with pen and ink illustrations.

I still like the idea of using our own models, however, especially after putting so much time into them.

Here is another darker example...I've taken one of my paintings and run it through a filter to make it more stylized. Something similar could be done with an in-game shot.

menu2.jpg

Edited by Springheel

I'd be happy to, if everyone agrees that's the way we want to go. I'm actually curious to see what one of your environments would look like stylized like the above example.

lol, wrong button...sorry Spring....

Edited by Renzatic

I like it!  (I also considered 'Stop Thief" as a title. ;)

That's too funny. :) We should seriously consider that title. It's a very sly, tounge in cheek, reference and I don't think it can get us in any trouble. It's not that much different than Irrational games taking "System Shock" and turning it into "Bio Shock". I think that it even carries a message to not take things so seriously. Would we risk it?

This is another very valid style to go with, as long as it is sufficiently different from the first two games.  Very retro, and sets a nice steampunk tone.  But you see how it wouldn't fit well to have the main menu this style and then the mission loading screen be parchment.  We will have to make a decision.

I pulled that menu from a screen shot of S-Holes retro menu just to set the stage for that little mock up, but when it comes down to it, I think the parchment really works. :) Actually, it would really tie the style of the game together since we would definately want to have in between mission briefings in the Style of T1 and T2. :) Yeah, I'm quite fond of it, this really seems to gel.

Edited by New Horizon

I'd be happy to, if everyone agrees that's the way we want to go. I'm actually curious to see what one of your environments would look like stylized like the above example.

lol, wrong button...sorry Spring....

Let's find out. ;)

Accidently hit the edit button instead of quote in case you're wondering...

Ok, here's what it looks like...I didn't do a lot of work with it, but gives you an idea.

menu3.jpg

I made this logo right fast, I'm still leaning more towards Pakman's as far as style goes but I figured I'd throw this mockup up to see what everyone thinks...

(Edited pic down below)

I'm gonna try and find a good schematic blueprint to overlay on it...and another thing we could do. Since the frontend is 3D we could make the background a texture and throw a flickering candlelight effect on it, make it look like the player is staring at a set of plans set on a desk.

Edited by Renzatic

I'm gonna try and find a good schematic blueprint to overlay on it...and another thing we could do. Since the frontend is 3D we could make the background a texture and throw a flickering candlelight effect on it, make it look like the player is staring at a set of plans set on a desk.

Ahhh, that would be a very nice touch. :) Brings the player even further into the world.

We definitely should have some kind of animation going. A flickering light is a good one.

I'm not sure I like the idea of having a picture in the background and then another illustration on top of it though...that might be too cluttered.

Tell me if this sounds corny or not...I was just imagining this in my head...I saw darkness, then the flickering sound of a flare being lit up. The menu springs into view, with the light flickering and strange shadows dancing across the page. If a sub-menu is selected, we have a page turning sound, or one parchment is put on top of the other. If the start game is selected, there is a "whoof" as the flame is blown out, and the screen goes dark. Then the mission starts loading.

What do you think? I think it could be cool.

(btw, two things Ren...what filter did you use and can I get that parchment texture from you?)

We definitely should have some kind of animation going.  A flickering light is a good one.

I'm not sure I like the idea of having a picture in the background and then another illustration on top of it though...that might be too cluttered.

Tell me if this sounds corny or not...I was just imagining this in my head...I saw darkness, then the flickering sound of a  flare being lit up.  The menu springs into view, with the light flickering and strange shadows dancing across the page.  If a sub-menu is selected, we have a page turning sound, or one parchment is put on top of the other.  If the start game is selected, there is a "whoof" as the flame is blown out, and the screen goes dark.  Then the mission starts loading. 

What do you think?  I think it could be cool.

(btw, two things Ren...what filter did you use and can I get that parchment texture from you?)

I was also thinking that having more than one picture at a time could be cluttered but I had an idea on the way home from the movie theatre. It was inspired by something Renzatic showed me earlier, a set of blue prints superimposed on the intro screen over the existing picture. To me it looked like the map was fading out and the other picture was replacing it.

With that in mind, if we had something like this, with the image only taking up the left hand side.....(sorry, had to borrow this pic)

menu2.jpg

...we could fade images in and out of view. Imagine this, it's really dark and forboding, with the exception of the flickering candlelight...and while this is happening, perhaps we could have the sound of a light wind howling. As the candle flickers, the images on the menu very slowly fade in and out. A map, a museum, the exterior of a mansion.

Then like Springheel said, you hear the candle being blown out when you choose an option such as loading a game. :) Very moody work here guys.

Edited by New Horizon

To me it looked like the map was fading out and the other picture was replacing it.

Lol! Ren and I were having this very same discussion on IRC. I thought the same thing...I imagined the map spinning and getting smaller as if it were fading into the distance.

Renzatic and I have been playing some more. Here's a version that I modified from one of his above...I centered it because the left side was looking a little empty as it was. And this is the right proportion for the menu size as well. Also went back to the classic Thief fonts. I personally would be quite happy with this as our main Menu screen.

menu4.jpg

Edited by Springheel