The Dark Mod Forums

Elite Guard Turn Left 90 Degrees

Domarius

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, It's a bit stiff and sliding.

There's already a motion capture turn 90 left and right, so you should use those.

There's no point re-animating stuff we already have on motion capture.

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/Files/Output.avi

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

The mocap one is better, but I don't think there's anything wrong with having multiple versions. It looks more realistic if not every character turns the exact same way every time.

THe timing on the leg movement isn't bad in Domarius', but the upper half of the body is virtually motionless and the body swivels like it's on a turntable.

You need side to side movement of the hips, some secondary head movement, and some arm swing.

Also, there is no visible weight shift when he moves his weight into one leg. THe left leg and body stay motionless as the right leg is lifted. What actually should happen is that the whole center of weight should be shifted over to the left leg.

Also, I can't see any leg bend at all when either foot is planted. You need leg bend to give the charater some weight.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I like the 2 versions here. The one posted by oDDity is a bit more casual, and the one by Dom is a bit more dutiful. It's nice to have a couple different styles. They can both be used, imo. Dom's reminds me of the little swivel turns Thief 2 guards would sometimes do, and that definitely has a purpose.

For Dom's, I think the one thing that my eye picked up at first, though, was that his head seems to turn at the exact same rate as his chest, which doesn't seem natural. Comparing it to oDD's, I appreciate that it's more stiff and structured. But maybe if the head could turn just a little before the upper chest starts moving, that would solve my prob.

THe timing on the leg movement isn't bad in Domarius', but the upper half of the body is virtually motionless and the body swivels like it's on a turntable.

You need side to side movement of the hips, some secondary head movement, and some arm swing.

Also, there is no visible weight shift when he moves his weight into one leg. THe left leg and body stay motionless as the right leg is lifted. What actually should happen is that the whole center of weight should be shifted over to the left leg.

Also, I can't see any leg bend at all when either foot is planted. You need leg bend to give the charater some weight.

You have all mentioned these things - but I have actually done all of them! :) It's just very subtle, and I noticed it's hard to see at this angle. Head movement, shoulder movement, arm swing, weight shifting, it's all there.

When I get home I'll post 2 more vids of the same anim - one starting with him facing the camera, and one finishing with him facing the camera.

Then see what you guys think, before I exaggerate what's already there.

Starting from front

Starting from side

Hopefully you can see the head turn, weight shift, shoulder movement, and arm swing.

I'm worried that if I exaggerate it any more, its going to look over-stated.

But sometimes you need that for animations, since they're not reality.

It looks perfect to me. I don't think he should turn his head too much. The guard is turning because he is supposed to, not because he really expects to see anything there. He gives the impression, not of a guard on high alert, but of a man doing the same thing every night almost automatically.

I don't really, just very cautious. I think it looks better. I think if he's moving more than someone would in real life (wich I beleive is so from doign this in front of the mirror) I think the extra motion is absolutely nessecary, since this is animation and not real life.

The movie "Polar Express" was critisized for everyone looking like zombies (stiff, expressionless and unnatural). This is because they were aiming purely for realism. They simply won't look realistic by definition because theuy're not real, so this must be compensated for. When you compare the animation in Polar Express to say, Shrek 2, the characters in Shrek 2 look much more alive.

The rest looks great. As for the weight shift in the first few frames:

I see a little weight shift, but not enough. When he first picks up his right foot to step back, doing it that slowly, his whole weight is moving to his left foot. IMO there should be a more pronounced move of the upper body over towards the left side when this happens. The head and shoulder and hip all stay in almost the same place, making it look like there's barely any weight shift.

When the movement starts, the first thing is that he lifts his foot. IMO that is wrong, because it looks quite contrieved this way. The very first thing he would do is to lean slightly to the other side, and then start to lift the foot. As it is it looks as if he is thinking about this process of turning, like in a formal turn, but it should look casual, because he just does it on his own.

The head also turns quite perfectly in sync with the torso, as if it were glued on. I think he should start by leaning on the other foot, and a split second later, while he is still going to lean, he can already start to turn his head slightly, as if in anticipation of the turn.

Gerhard