The Dark Mod Forums

Ai Models

Springheel

Ok, it seems like the models currently on CVS (builder guard, elite city watch, pro guard, revenant, prelate) are good to go.

Can we confirm that we have the necessary files for the following characters? That means model, textures, and normalmaps.

Builder Acolyte

Noblewoman

Builder Priest

House Guard

City Watch - safe -

We should have the Pagan female model up on the ftp also right?

Nope. Oddity put up something that looked like a uv-map, but that's all. Of course, we have the naked woman template, so if we wanted to make another naked woman pagan, that wouldn't be very difficult.

they'll also have to be "weighted and rigged," for animation, whatever that means.

I think that can be done as long as we have the model though, correct?

Here's as much confirmation as I can give at the moment;

In most cases, its not simply a case of "we have everything" it's actually a sliding scale of how much work there is to do for each model to fill in what's missing.

With the alcolyte and priest, they are the final meshes, so if we ever wanted to change them, we'd have to re-create a high poly version, to generate normal maps from.

And since I've seen posed pictures of them, I'm guessing oDDity had already rigged them, and this information is missing in the final meshes, which means they need to be re-rigged too.

What we can do with them in this state is rig them and animate them and get them in game, But if you want to change geometry, that's going to require modelling work to build a high poly version.

With the Elite City Watch - he's in the same state except he's already rigged (and I'm animating him - you should add him to the list too). The regular City Watch is the same - final mesh but already rigged.

I can't comment on the others since I dont' have lightwave. Maybe BT can comment? Otherwise it'll be downloaded by morning, and hopefully it works, then i can give you a full list on what we can do with the existing stuff, and what we will need to do to fill in the holes.

With the alcolyte and priest, they are the final meshes, so if we ever wanted to change them, we'd have to re-create a high poly version, to generate normal maps from.

Does that include resizing them? I don't recall how big Odd made them, but I know we're having to resize most of the other AI models. I suspect trying to recreate a high-poly version that matches the uv-map and textures would be more work than remaking the models from scratch.

That's good to hear...I don't think we really need to make any major changes to the models themselves.

So City Watch is safe, that's great.

Do we currently have the normalmaps for the priest and acolyte?

I just got lightwave, but I need to be told how to view any rigging if it exists.

There are just basic texture maps for the Alcolyte and Priest. No normal maps or specular maps etc.

:/

So we will kinda need to re-model them to make some normal maps.

There is a noble man, but there are 2 versions. One is called nobleman_fixed, and is in lightwave format, with only texture maps and no normal maps or anything.

The other is called just nobleman, and has normalmaps and texture maps, but the file format is .ase, which is 3D Studio ASCII format, and although I have 3DS, I can't for the life of me find an importer that works. You can export to ASE but you can't import it without a plugin I guess.

The noblewoman, although exists as a lightwave file, is actually also the final mesh. However, she actually has all the required maps - normal map, specualr, etc.

But I can't check if she is rigged or not because I don't know how to do that in lightwave.

You can regard her as "safe" I suppose.

You should also add the elite city watch to the list

But I don't think you can regard either the regular city watch or elite city watch as "safe" since we don't have normal maps for them either.

On the FTP under files/robedbuilders.rar

Once I'm sure I have all the files I'm going to organise them, they're all over the fucking place.

Dom, perhaps you could email oDDity at the email address on his website and see if you could appeal to his sense of honor and see if he would provide us with the materials for the models we have promoted? That would include the Thief. I think it might work out better if you approached him.

Gah...those are'nt in a formatt I can open.

Umm...Dom, if you get time could you please export those models as lwo or maya ascii files or something? Don't worry about it for now though I guess, we'll wait to see what oDD says.