The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

Think angua recently fixed that? Though don't know if the update is available yet.

I'm gonna take a look at the save and restore camera position. I'd forgotten about that. Up to 10 saves :)

[EDIT] Also sparhawk, you want to take a look at the freemove options.

I got damage to work on the player - unfortunately he sounds like he's vomiting or choking instead of just yelling - that needs fixing. Is that a placeholder from the gas stim?

Regarding fire and the player I'm sure that has to be sorted eventually as mappers may well have flaming pits for the player to cross. It could be done on an individual basis I suppose. But realistically, if a player climbs over a wall and drops down onto a torch it OUGHT to hurt - not kill outright but do some damage and eventually kill. As for just walking near, now that magnitude, radius, etc are in place presumably flame could have an appropriate stim and the appropriate response back on the player. I guess some of this has been tried?

sparhawk : Check HERE and scroll or search down to ..

Camera Free Mouse Mode set and Moves

...if you are not already using them. Also that might test if my description is good enough. :) They are different to the other camera moves.

I got damage to work on the player - unfortunately he sounds like he's vomiting or choking instead of just yelling - that needs fixing. Is that a placeholder from the gas stim?

Take a look at tdm_damage.def: there are a couple of damage types you can choose as argument of the response effect. For instance, a response effect to STIM_FIRE would take the damage_fire entityDef as argument.

Or do you rather intend to define the damage entityDef on the stim itself than on the player?

Regarding fire and the player I'm sure that has to be sorted eventually as mappers may well have flaming pits for the player to cross. It could be done on an individual basis I suppose. But realistically, if a player climbs over a wall and drops down onto a torch it OUGHT to hurt - not kill outright but do some damage and eventually kill. As for just walking near, now that magnitude, radius, etc are in place presumably flame could have an appropriate stim and the appropriate response back on the player. I guess some of this has been tried?

Well yes, I had this already implemented, but it was not accepted. I think it's in a thread somewhere in the Level Editing forum, but I might have to dig it up.

edit: Here it is: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=5646

edit2: erm, wrong forum for this?

@Fidcal: I could confirm that issue. That's strange, but it will be tracked down.

@Tels: I didn't want to post in the other-thread, so I'll do it here: I changed the ModelSelector to let the treeview be sorted by default.

@OrbWeaver: I seem to have a weak day, I couldn't find a way to let the column be sorted by default, unless with a hack: Immediately after pumping the data into the treemodel, I let the colum emit the "clicked" signal, which sorts the column. Do you know a better way to do this? Just calling "set_sort_column_id" doesn't do the trick.

Don't know if this wants fixing but while trying to change the model...

door_related/chest_lock_01.ase

to

door_related/lock_chest_01.ase

I got....

libs/instancelib.h:189

assertion failure:InstanceSet::erase - failed to find element

My guess it was because the original name was no longer there? An abnormal action. I can change this in a text editor for now anyway but thought I should report.

I'm using DR 0.9.2. Should I add to Bugtracker?

Rename while Entity List then reselect doesn't deselect last selected:

Select Entity List. Select an entity. Rename in in Entity Inspector. Select another entity in Entity list. Renamed entry is not deselected. Entity inspector goes blank because both are now selected.

Added to bugtracker @ http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=427

@Fidcal: good find. :)

@OrbWeaver: I cleaned the ModelSkin interface a bit (removed the ModuleObserver/realise/unrealise crap) and reorganised the SkinnedModel classes to actually hold their skin name themselves.

The skinChanged() calls are now invoked only on the relevant Model instances, not all instances of the singleton model node as before.

Hopefully this paves the way for a "Reload Skins" functionality a bit, and I hope I didn't interfere too much with your task (MD5 model skins).

Hopefully this paves the way for a "Reload Skins" functionality a bit, and I hope I didn't interfere too much with your task (MD5 model skins).

I'm sure that won't be a problem, I haven't actually started the task yet :ph34r:. I guess I should get started on that soon, but I have been uncharacteristically busy recently (primarily interviewing for a new job, which my work on DarkRadiant played no small part in achieving).

I'm sure that won't be a problem, I haven't actually started the task yet :ph34r:. I guess I should get started on that soon, but I have been uncharacteristically busy recently (primarily interviewing for a new job, which my work on DarkRadiant played no small part in achieving).

Ah, that sounds promising. I'm curious: did you get asked by somebody or was your work on DarkRadiant simply something to show off in your portfolio?

Ok, the final step was easy enough. DarkRadiant can now reload the skins during runtime. I tested by swapping the skin names of some moveable crate skins and it worked fine.

Excellent :) I amended:

http://www.thirdfilms.com/darkwiki/index.p...diant_File_menu

Is there a particular reason why one is called "Re_fresh_ Models" and one "Re_load_ Skins"?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

No. :) I renamed it.

I update the wiki article tomorrow :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Ah, that sounds promising. I'm curious: did you get asked by somebody or was your work on DarkRadiant simply something to show off in your portfolio?

The latter -- my actual commercial experience only includes end-user support and J2EE Web development, so I would never have got the interview without it. They were very interested in what I was doing on DR, particularly the experience of working with end users, inheriting a suboptimal codebase, graphics programming etc. They write cross-platform video processing software using Qt, so it's in the same ballpark although not an exact match.

They were very impressed with my C++ written exam (described as "the best they've ever seen" by the recruiter) and sound quite keen to provide training in 3D and graphics programming, which would be useful for DarkRadiant as well as my CV.

The latter -- my actual commercial experience only includes end-user support and J2EE Web development, so I would never have got the interview without it. They were very interested in what I was doing on DR, particularly the experience of working with end users, inheriting a suboptimal codebase, graphics programming etc. They write cross-platform video processing software using Qt, so it's in the same ballpark although not an exact match.

They were very impressed with my C++ written exam (described as "the best they've ever seen" by the recruiter) and sound quite keen to provide training in 3D and graphics programming, which would be useful for DarkRadiant as well as my CV.

Sounds cool! I gather the decision has not been made yet whether they take you onboard or not? Good luck with that anyways. :)

Actually, I was being interviewed by my possible employer back in October and of course he had received my CV in advance per E-Mail. The interesting thing is that about 50% of the interview we talked about my previous scouting activities (I organised a medium-sized scout camp in 2005) and my work on The Dark Mod/DarkRadiant project. My physics degree is of course of minor importance in that job anyway, but my work on a free project seems to have impressed him more, especially if it implies working with a foreign codebase (GtkRadiant/SDK) as well as self-motivation and a limited (nonexistent) budget. :)

Sounds cool! I gather the decision has not been made yet whether they take you onboard or not? Good luck with that anyways. :)

They offered me the job, and I have provisionally accepted (meaning that unless the contract they send me has some nasty clause like 80-hour work weeks or something, I will take it).

Actually, I was being interviewed by my possible employer back in October and of course he had received my CV in advance per E-Mail. The interesting thing is that about 50% of the interview we talked about my previous scouting activities (I organised a medium-sized scout camp in 2005) and my work on The Dark Mod/DarkRadiant project. My physics degree is of course of minor importance in that job anyway, but my work on a free project seems to have impressed him more, especially if it implies working with a foreign codebase (GtkRadiant/SDK) as well as self-motivation and a limited (nonexistent) budget. :)

Great, sounds like the project is benefitting all of us then. :)