The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

The latter -- my actual commercial experience only includes end-user support and J2EE Web development, so I would never have got the interview without it. They were very interested in what I was doing on DR, particularly the experience of working with end users, inheriting a suboptimal codebase, graphics programming etc. They write cross-platform video processing software using Qt, so it's in the same ballpark although not an exact match.

They were very impressed with my C++ written exam (described as "the best they've ever seen" by the recruiter) and sound quite keen to provide training in 3D and graphics programming, which would be useful for DarkRadiant as well as my CV.

Heh, congrats! Sounds you got yourself a nice new job :) Just remember it is not ok to blackjack anyone in the office - especially not the project manager :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Killing undead is allowed, though. The "Don't get fired for wanton violence" objective only gets marked as failed if you KO/kill humans.

So, y'know, if Philip Ruddock (image) shows up in the office, feel free to throw some holy water his way...

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Heh, congrats! Sounds you got yourself a nice new job :) Just remember it is not ok to blackjack anyone in the office - especially not the project manager :D

Heh, thanks. I'll have to wait and see what it's like; they are a really small company (about 20 people) so it should be a very different experience to the dull conformist bureaucracy I am used to.

Oh, and they develop on Macs as well. Maybe I can get a Mac port of DarkRadiant running at some stage.

So, y'know, if Philip Ruddock (image) shows up in the office, feel free to throw some holy water his way...

How do arseholes like that even get elected? Maybe the compulsory voting in Australia isn't such a good idea after all, since many of your government seem to be worse than the Bush administration.

How do arseholes like that even get elected? Maybe the compulsory voting in Australia isn't such a good idea after all, since many of your government seem to be worse than the Bush administration.

At first I wanted to chide you for your strong words, then I read his wiki page. OMG, that guy is scary and dangerous.... really, you have to wonder how people like that can still run free around and get elected.. (/offtopic)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Heh, thanks. I'll have to wait and see what it's like; they are a really small company (about 20 people) so it should be a very different experience to the dull conformist bureaucracy I am used to.

Oh, and they develop on Macs as well. Maybe I can get a Mac port of DarkRadiant running at some stage.

Large companies are good for your CV. From what I've gathered so far, it's better to start off with working in a large company and then switch to a smaller one than vice versa. Congratulations, nonetheless, let's hope the contract is ok. :)

Mac ports of DarkRadiant would be nice, I guess all the libraries we used (boost, GTK, libxml, and such) are available for Mac as well. Low-priority of course.

Tell me about it. There are some mind-bogglingly dumb people in Australia, and many of them live in Berowra (Ruddock's seat). Which is, unfortunately, quite a safe seat for him.

At least we're not a world superpower though; Ruddock with nukes at his fingertips is a thought too nightmarish to contemplate. He's already achieved ultimate power over death (he just! won't! die!*), he doesn't need more...

*I'm glad this is a private forum. No need to cause ASIO's file on me to get bulked out any more, right? :unsure:

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I have several filters I use frequently all at once so I made a composite filter called !Favourites. But it's all or nothing. I can' re-enable say, just noshadows but would have to re-enable all my favourites then select all the other filters one by one. Might there be a way to enable a filters menu multi that would check off a selection of filters in one go but which the user could then re-enable single ones if needed? Not sure how this might work but hope you see roughly what I mean. I regularly hide visportals, nodraw *, clip and collision, weather. Crikey - that doesn't seem that many but it seems a lot when I used to check them all off ten or twenty times a day.

*nodraw - I keep thinking I should make an effort and make a new separate nodraw just for visportals so filtering those won't also hide nodraw. But not today. ;)

I sometimes filter out patches if say, I was checking caulk and sealing off of a space but my main use of filtering is just to hide the big stuff that obscures everything. What would I use for path_corners and path wait etc. They are a bit big and bulky close up but I guess they need to be visible for distance.

I noticed when glass is selected it is semi-transparent - just the pink highlight really. I had thought transparency wasn't practical or possible in DR. Would it be possible for some things like monsterclip, collision and nodraw to be near transparent? Or would there be a big performance hit?

Can any filters be saved so they work when DR is first opened? I don't think I ever want that collision surface thing that obscures models. I went for months before I realized this filter works in the models selector too!

Can any filters be saved so they work when DR is first opened? I don't think I ever want that collision surface thing that obscures models. I went for months before I realized this filter works in the models selector too!

There is an open issue for this, which incidentally is on the "Roadmap" page for the 0.9.5 release.

@OrbWeaver: your recent change (gtk hint removal) causes the toplevel windows (orthoview, etc.) to disappear behind the main window. The only exception is the GroupDialog, which always stays in front.

I'll have to check what's different in the GroupDialog, perhaps I can get the other windows to behave like that too. Otherwise we'll have to think about something.

Hm, the set_transient_for call is already happening in TransientWindow, so that's ok. I also checked the _parent pointer in the GlobalCamera class before the window is created, this appears to be ok too. So far I can't see the difference between the GroupDialog and the CameraWindow, both are deriving from PersistentTransientWindow, nothing special is happening in the GroupDialog constructor.

Pretty annoying - I'll just revert my local copy to the previous revision, I don't want to spent the evening with GTK debugging. :)

edit: Removing the gtk_window_set_skip_taskbar_hint() call lets the windows work fine.

edit: Removing the gtk_window_set_skip_taskbar_hint() call lets the windows work fine.

That's bizarre, the use of the taskbar should have no effect on window ordering. Oh well, I guess I'll have to add a #ifdef POSIX around this bit then.

• 2 weeks later...

I cleaned up the MD5Model module a bit. Everything is contained in its own class now, and each class has its own file pair. The global parser routines have been refactored into a new class publicly deriving from parser::DefTokeniser, extending the interface by a parseToModel(MD5Model& model) method.

Now I can start working on the MD5Mesh preview, it was a bit messy before. :)

Good work, although I think this is a little back-to-front:

The global parser routines have been refactored into a new class publicly deriving from parser::DefTokeniser, extending the interface by a parseToModel(MD5Model& model) method.

All of the other parsers operate on the principle that the DefTokeniser interface is passed to the object, rather than passing a blank object to a BasicDefTokeniser subclass, e.g.

MD5Model::parseFromTokens(parser::DefTokeniser& tok)

rather than

MD5Parser::parseToModel(MD5Model& model)

The "ordinary" version has the advantage that the model class need only specify the parent DefTokeniser interface, without needing to know whether it is a std::string or std::istream-based parser.

Heh, the skin selection alrady works as it is in DarkRadiant, but our AI skin files are not setup correctly. Many skins are missing the "model" key in the definition, that's why DarkRadiant can't associate it. I'll fix the skins and we're done, I guess.

Also, the Reload Skins command doesn't refresh the ModelSelector treeview, this should also be fixed to make it useable.

The ModelPreview can handle references to model defs (like tdm_ai_citywatch) from now on. This completes the feature, as the ModelPreview in the SkinChooser can recognise and render the correct model, even if the entity is referencing a modeldef instead of a full model path:

md5_skinchooser2.jpg

I'm running into weird troubles when trying to compile the latest HEAD revision in MinGW. scons is invoking the final linking call but immediately returns with this:

scons: building terminated because of errors.
scons: *** [build\release\darkradiant.exe] Error 1

But no error message is displayed. I copy&pasted the final command line into the command box and the linker just returns without saying anything. I tried to start from scratch by cleaning and recompiling, but this doesn't help. The compiler doesn't throw any errors, the linker just quits.

The last thing I did was to add two files in the ui/einspector folder, so I suspected that it might have something to do with the command line, which is HUGE: 7925 characters.

I tried to change the intermediate build path from build/ to b/ and behold, it works. Is there something I should know about maximum command line length in Windows/scons/g++?

Btw: it works fine in VC++, so this is a scons/MinGW issue, it seems.

If there is something like a maximum cmd length, we (I) might get into troubles real soon.

edit: A page at the MS support site says Windows XP has a maximum of 8192 bytes in the command line. This might be the reason, also considering environment variables.