The Dark Mod Forums

Book Closed

BlackThief

Here's the book I'm currently working on:

book1.jpg

and here first progress in UV-mapping it

http://www.dark-project.com/BlackThief/book2.jpg

still have to tweak the texture a bit (if you take a look at the top view, you can easily see that the back and the top don't fit together properly...) and finish UV-mapping.

Awesome! :)

How difficult is it to stretch or modify the basic model? I'd like to have a thicker, tome-like book, as well as a few different skins. Do you feel like doing a few more? I have some reference pics I can send you if so.

Looks good. You almost duplicated what I had in mind.

BIBLE1.JPG

Edited by Springheel

I think it's in a museum. :)

BT: That looks great! Have you uploaded these? I'd love to check off books as complete on our master list.

I think it's in a museum. :)

BT: That looks great! Have you uploaded these? I'd love to check off books as complete on our master list.

Don't check it completely off. We need a variety of them. With the speed that BT is working it seems he will do the modeling single handedly while skinning with the other one. :)

Gerhard

alright - finished.

I'll upload everything to the ftp now.

Shouldn't the edges be little higher then the book? The screen shows that they are just textured and when you look at it from the side you can see that there is no geometry. Or can this be done with bumpmaps?

Edited by sparhawk

Gerhard

Books are ingame (Sparhawk's screenshot) :)

I did a new screenshot and this looks real good. :)

Books.jpg

Of course the coins look rather crappy as they are right now. We should fix them and also create a better texture. They look pretty drab. Shouldn't they look more valuable? More gold or something. Don't know.

Another thing I noticed (Hey Ne Horizon :) ). There is no single frob highlight value. When you try the books in game the frob highlight is barely noticable. So I think we must do this for every single item to make it look good. Might also be because the books are now in full light, but somehow I doubt it. If this is the case then I must do something in the code, probably.

Edit: Just tested it. When I set it to .60 then it is ok for me. But keep in mind that I'm colourblind so it may be different for you.

And one other issue I noticed. We will need collision models for the tables and the items need to be properly aligned. Currently they are totaly off.

Edited by sparhawk

Gerhard

Wow, this looks great ingame. I'm cleaning up the drool as we speak.

Yeah, sometimes in the original games, the objects would not look overly frobbed if they were directly under a bright light. That's probably it. Would you be able to upload this version so I could try it out to see what it's like? The way fullbright works in D3 .50 is the equivalent of 100% fullbright in the old games so .60 would be like 110%. I think that's why Zylonbane was going on about things looking washed out.

It shouldn't be an issue under normal circumstances, but we can get that worked out over time. :)

Wow, this looks great ingame.  I'm cleaning up the drool as we speak.

Yes. It would definitely be great if we had a level mapper now who can start using these things.

I uploaded it here:

DarkMod-0.005d

Don't delete your old directory. Just extract this one over the current one. It doesn't include the DLL or anything.

Edited by sparhawk

Gerhard

The coins might not look as good because they seem to be the size of dinner plates. :)

The probably could use a specular map to make them look shinier in the light...we may have to reopen the topic of loot textures.

Also, isn't that table still a little low? It looks about the same height as the trim along the wall....about 1' high.

Edited by Springheel

I think as long as junk looks like junk ( drab - no specular) and the fancy stuff is gold and jeweled ( with a nice specular) we can clearly establish what is junk and what is loot. :)

Junk plates in the original games for example were white or a somewhat rough looking metal. With Thief 3, they never really set any specific rules for what was junk and loot. In many cases they just used the same model with a different texture. I think to be successful in this, we would have to vary some of our models a bit. Not so much with plates, but cups perhaps.