The Dark Mod Forums

Victorian Dining Chair

BlackThief

Yes, it's great texturing, render it with some decent lighting to show of the textures better. The cushion on the seat and back didn't have to be modeled in though, the normal map would have sorted that out.

The general rule is never to use more polys that absolutely necessary. They soon add up when building a level, and the less polys each individual object has, the more the level designer can put in the room without straining people's systems.

quote " maybe you can't see that, because of the perspective, but the green-leg isn't just a simple cube. At first it's a simple cube, then it get's smaller and at the end it get's thicker again"

Exactly, that's an unecessary expense) you could just taper the leg from top to bottom and have 2 triangles per side. Beveling detail can also be done with normal maps, and no one is really going to notice the base or chair legs anyway.

Just little things like that you should be thinking about when making the low poly versions of meshes.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

thx. I first have to figure out, how rendering works in blender :)

regarding the leg - maybe you're right. not many players will notice that, but I don't think it would be possible to do something like thinner getting legs with a normalmap.

Maybe I shouldn't try to make thing so realistic - I'll try to reduce the polys of this legs.

Anyway I really appreciate your help, cauze I don't have much experience in modelling (I learned it about 3 weeks ago with sparhawks help and trial and error in blender) :)

Edited by BlackThief

Is this Blender? http://www.blender3d.com/

I'm not a modeller at all, but did some Anim8or tuts a few weeks back, and it was enjoyable. Is Blender worse/equal to/better/far better/so much better you should be ashamed for asking, than Anim8or?

Seems to be free, or at least I can't find a purchase link... is it?

/OT

Is this Blender? http://www.blender3d.com/

I'm not a modeller at all, but did some Anim8or tuts a few weeks back, and it was enjoyable. Is Blender worse/equal to/better/far better/so much better you should be ashamed for asking, than Anim8or?

/OT

I hear it's a pretty good program, but I must be really stunned or something because I just can't get my head around it. LOL

Is this Blender?  http://www.blender3d.com/

I'm not a modeller at all, but did some Anim8or tuts a few weeks back, and it was enjoyable.  Is Blender worse/equal to/better/far better/so much better you should be ashamed for asking, than Anim8or?

/OT

yes that's blender - you can download it also on http://www.blender.org/

as far as I know it's a open-source programm and totaly free.

I think it's easier than anim8or and you can do better stuff with it.

BTW already managed to reduce the chair to 492 triangles :)

I hear it's a pretty good program, but I must be really stunned or something because I just can't get my head around it. LOL

It is a pretty good program. Until two years ago (I think) it was proprietary. The company went down and the developer collected money to buy the source free from the company owners (or partners or whatever). So now it is fully GPL open sourced without the game engine. This couldn't be released but it is reprogrammed I think and now it is available again.

IMO it is a VERY good program and you can do serious stuff with it. And it has been much improved since it went open source. :)

Gerhard

Just right. B)

Have you got a normal map yet?

I could generate a normal map for anyone who wants them. Just upload the high and low rez objects to the FTP. I may wait till I get my 1MB DSL back next week though, 56k is really painful.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Have you got a normal map yet?

not yet. I'll do that tonight. there isn't any complicated stuff so I can do that easily in photoshop.

I found some sitting animations of a marine. considering that our noble-men wont be as tall and muscular as a about 1.90 meter marine it will fit quite good.

post-5-1102189762.jpg

A chair's seat should be a little bit higher than the back of a standing person's knee - two or three inches higher. Scale the chair up so it matches. Also, either the legs are too long, or the back is too short. I'm gonna go with the latter - make the back of the chair a bit higher. That should help the overall proportions of it.

It's coming together very nicely, BT. Pretty good work for a newbie! :)

We should probably put a specular map on this to get a glossy look for the wood. Right now it seems to absorb the light a little too much.

Once we get the size just right for this chair, we should use it as a base to model all our other objects that might require sitting animations.

Yes, didn't you see the characters I used to show there as well? It's a complete dump now since they hired a bunch of puritan mods to police the forum when T3 was released. It's no fun any more.

- Emil Zola

character models site

the chair, the texture (which is also used for the table), the normalmap and the material-file furniture.mtr are on the ftp now.

(/TheDarkMod/models/props/furniture/chair/vic_diningchair1.ase

/TheDarkMod/models/props/furniture/table/coffeetab1.ase

/TheDarkMod/models/props/furniture/table/tab1_chair1_d.tga

/TheDarkMod/models/props/furniture/table/tab1_chair1_local.tga

/TheDarkMod/models/Material-Files/furniture.mtr)

the normalmap isn't perfect yet, but it's ok for now. I'd really like to do something different now. I'll post that into the model-request-thread.