The Dark Mod Forums

Model issues

greebo

This is a small list of models having shader problems. I'll edit this post as I find the problems and describe the cause of the issue.

models\darkmod\props\containers\bc_chest03.ase => shader bc_chest03 not existent

models\darkmod\props\containers\bc_chest03_lid.ase => shader bc_chest03 not existent

All three below use the shader tdm_grave_chain1. I could fix the diffuse, but bump and specular textures are missing.

models\darkmod\props\graveyard\grave_chain_broken.lwo

models\darkmod\props\graveyard\grave_chain_long.lwo

models\darkmod\props\graveyard\grave_chain_short.lwo

Shader problem: tdm_grave_fence1 (used by graveyard models):

both models/darkmod/props/textures/fence1_d.tga and fence1_local.tga are missing.

models\darkmod\props\containers\sack1_low.lwo => Shader Default referenced, which is non-existent

models\darkmod\nature\trees\bc_*pot_tree => Shaders tree_bark02 and dirt1 referenced but missing.

models\darkmod\props\readables\book_t1: The skin burnt_book1 points to the shader burntbook_t1, which references the non-existent props/textures/burntbook_t1.tga

models\darkmod\props\tools\mop.lwo: The shader tdm_mop references non-existent images: props/textures/mop_d.tga and mop_local.tga.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Forgot to say: it's probably not necessary to rush things, as the texture reorg is not yet completed. It could be that a fixed shader in the trunk gets overwritten by the stuff being merged in from the other branch.

So, please hold the line a bit, I'll post back here as soon as it's safe to fix things. :)

OK, I don't know what happened to those materials, pretty sure they were uploaded, but containers.mtr has been updated and bc_chest materials are back in place.

probably alright to post here: I've noticed in the model browser that alot of materials that are working don't show correctly in the veiwer, have the shader not found blue on them.

I don't know if this can easily be fixed, but it seems like 2 reasons for it.

1-light textures are all like this, something about the glass, maybe the illumination?

2-mixed materials, here's an example. If you look at my shpere light in model veiwer it is all blue, but fine in game:

What I did was use the tombstone bump map for details, and the anchor diffuse for material, I think this confuses the model viewer.

bc_sphere_deco2
{
metal

diffusemap models\darkmod\props\textures\anchor_d.tga.tga
bumpmap models\darkmod\props\textures\tombstone02_local.tga
{
blend specularmap
map _white
rgb 0.15
}
}

--EDIT--

Oh well, they are done again. I don't see why they'd change though, just a missing reference to textures in the model/texture folder.

I think the texture reorg was only the texture families (not model textures)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

The whole burntbook skin can be removed. That was an experiment I was working on that didn't pan out. Don't know why it got uploaded in the first place.

@Baddcog: Thanks for uploading, I'll try to think about your commit when remerging the stuff back into the trunk, so that this fix doesn't get lost.

As for the missing shaders: This is what angua and me have been working on (among other things) and most of these issues are resolved now.

@Springheel: Thanks, will remove it.

All three below use the shader tdm_grave_chain1. I could fix the diffuse, but bump and specular textures are missing.

models\darkmod\props\graveyard\grave_chain_broken.lwo

models\darkmod\props\graveyard\grave_chain_long.lwo

models\darkmod\props\graveyard\grave_chain_short.lwo

Shader problem: tdm_grave_fence1 (used by graveyard models):

both models/darkmod/props/textures/fence1_d.tga and fence1_local.tga are missing.

As soon as I'm synched I'll upload them. I will also change back chain_d to chain1_d in material shader cause it's diffrent kind of chain.

BTW: chain texture exists only as diffuse one, there's no chain_local nor chain_s - I can make them - I'm currently using that texture for one of my models.

• 5 months later...

I added more verts to round out the edges a bit...must have forgotten to triple it.

While I'm thinking about it:

The dining room chair has a collision model and def, can be moved. It's the only one.

So I'd say we either need to add that collision model to all chairs (since it works fine might as well use it) so they all move, or we should make that one chair NOT move. I think they should all move.

Unfortunately they are all lwo so someone else will need to do it. (if they were ase we could just copy/paste the tex files)

@greebo

could you remove this line from your post

models\darkmod\nature\trees\bc_*pot_tree => Shaders tree_bark02 and dirt1 referenced but missing.

Those models are now gone. The pots are in decorative. authors can add trees/plants as desired. Also , they can use a patch for the dirt, this was done to have a proper collision mesh.

So I'd say we either need to add that collision model to all chairs (since it works fine might as well use it)

I was going to save creating collision models for later, but I never thought about how easy it would be to just cut and paste the same cm throughout the chairs. I'll get to it this week.

right on. I figure there might be a little vert tweaking involved just to closer match chair sizes but at least not building a new mesh for every chair.

I haven't thought of any other models that need collision yet but if anyone does I guess this is a good place to mention it. I don't mind doing any ases, although I know there aren't alot of those, most of mine have collision models currently. I will try and start with them, make sure they are complete.

The standing and wall-mounted oillamps have some strange shadow:

post-144-1196270643_thumb.jpg

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Gems:

I have recently added new gem textures from photo sources. I would like to replace the ruby and diamond textures that are obviously hand painted with the new ones.

I would like Spring's OK on this. The diamond is actually a tourmaline and maybe not the best diamond but I think close enough, who knows what a tourmaline looks like anyway? It might be a little blue but passable, certainly more realistic looking.

This would be for the ruby,diamond models and the ruby/diamond ring models.

They are lwo so could be swapped in the materials quite easily.

They can be compared to my rings. Also, more skins could be made for those specific ring models. I think I uploaded about 6 gems altogether,.

@Baddcog: My suggestion is to go ahead and try it, and then post a side-by-side screenshot so people can speak up if they feel strongly one way or another. I've never been a huge fan of the current versions, but it's very difficult to make gems look like gems and not plastic D&D dice.

The standing and wall-mounted oillamps have some strange shadow:

That's strange, I never noticed anything like that when I was testing them. I'll have to see if anything has changed.

Well, it won't be quite as easy as i thought but won't be that hard either.

They are lwo files and the will need re-uv mapped. I can convert to 3ds, do the work and just send em to you Springheel, and let you export as lwo so there aren't any mapper probs.

This pic has a few things I'll mention:

1:The large red blob on the left is the ruby.. no wait, that is the large diamond. I thought that's what I made. I have NO idea why it is red.

Also weird, didn't capture it in screeny, when I look at it with sky behind it it gets cut out where sky is. Obviously something is wrong with that shader.

So scratch that....

2:The white gem in front of it IS the dm diamond01. That shader works fine, but it is the one that looks very hand painted to me.

Next to it is the 'tourmaline' diamond tex I uploaded (on a re-uv mapped diamond_large). Maybe not perfect but I think alot better. Might be possible to actually find a good diamond pic online but that was the best I came across at that time.

3: next to it is the ruby model. With my tex and the original respectively. (actually an opal, again, can probably find a good ruby but who knows the dif right? ruby's are red gems.) This shows the problem with appling my tex and NOT re-uv mapping. The original has one texture that is applied to every facet, that doesn't work too hot with my tex which just needs to be planar mapped across the entire gem.

4:and last in line is my opal_teardrop gem (on SVN already). My textures are not transparent and I think they'll work best that way. Anyway, these are small items which things like transparency are easily lost on. This is alot closer to how the ruby would look alone and on the ruby ring.

5:in the very back is my grass particle. It actually looks pretty decent to me but only works well on flat ground. The grass actually needs to 'float' above the ground so it doesn't get a flat/2d look to it. This is due to how the particles face player and whatnot. Not sure whether or not everyone will like it, I have it up on SNV so everyone can check it out. Just mentioned it here since it was in the screeny.

gemtesttn9.jpg

I tend to agree that transparency is wasted (and not very realistic anyway) for things of that size.

1:The large red blob on the left is the ruby.. no wait, that is the large diamond. I thought that's what I made. I have NO idea why it is red.

Also weird, didn't capture it in screeny, when I look at it with sky behind it it gets cut out where sky is. Obviously something is wrong with that shader.

So scratch that....

That's the one I made some time ago. It's red since I wanted as some kind of special loot in the bonehoard that emits light by itself. The color is done with an RGB keyword, so it can easily be changed. Don't know what's wrong with the shader though.

I really like your other gems, those textures are very cool! B)

I fixed the oil lamps. There were a few polys I forgot to set as noshadows.

I fixed the oil lamps. There were a few polys I forgot to set as noshadows.

Thanx a bunch! Was getting worried I was seeing things :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I'm adding collision and shadow meshes to alot of my older models. Stuff that can probably benefit and help game performance.

I started on my ceramic pot and noticed alot of vases don't have either one.

My ceramic pot was about 150 polys. pretty low but if shadows and collision are as important as they seem to be I think we can make alot of improvement here. The shadow is now 50 polys and the collision about 32. These are the type of objects that will probably be used in alot of spots and sometimes in numbers so I think cutting 100 polys on shadow casting is worth the effort.

I've noticed that a good majority of our objects don't have either.

Alot of these are lwo's so I'm gonna leave those alone, hopefully someone else will be up to the task. I will try and get as many of the ase's as possible. Not fun but something good for me to concentrate on.

I'll put a list here of the LWO's that could really use at least shadows if not collision.

I'm not looking at shaders to determine if they have shadows, I assume most due (I say this cause I looked at Pagan orb and it is glass,glowing tex)

The Globe - 2500 polys, could probably have shadow of 200 polys.

Orchid - 700 polys, could be 100

Pagan Orb - 700

lwo signs are around 300 polys, could probably be less than 50

most statues are 1,000 -2,500 polys, could probably have shadows of 200 polys

statue-hammer medium 2 has shadow, could probably be used in all the other hammer statues. they are 1,000 polys

hammer_medium_darkstone skin is missing

a couple lwo pots could benefit, most pots are ase so I can get them

Antlers -1200

Boarhead 800

Wolfhead 800

campfire logs 2000

Well, there are a lot of em anyway. I'll leave it at that for now and get back to work.