The Dark Mod Forums

Broken Sorrows...sorry Arrows Wip

TYROT

dear TEAM!

oDDity i still didnt get the Fprime..I mean I really do not wanna use any unregistered software..because of my business i m all the time buying hardware... but actually im waiting for the next version, after they covered every stuff in lightwave i ll get it.. Actually when i was checking it in my friends LW machines, i have noticed some subtle differences than lightwave's own renderer. I m very fanatic about lightwave and its renderer especially. Although everyone is going beserk with the Fprime..I really still sense differences. And while im waiting im working on the other pcs on other stuff. So ... you know... But in next version i ll be a member Fprime guild..

Sparhawk actually there are couple of different ways to that. Sometimes a little plugin helping you sometimes even so much easier with other techincs. The thing is Lightwave is a great program and modeller..

When i saw first time LW and 3d MAX i mean . Lightwave's menu and layer system made me instantly amazed..I fell in love with the LW. Still there are so much problem in LW animation system but that modeller is an amazing stuff. I m telling everytime, if im making animations only reason is LW. IF something happens and LW dissappeares from the face of earth i would never ever touch another 3d application. I would be sewing that Black Jack for you from cotton :) So your answer is lightwave... at least 3 ways of making the same thing in same time...Talking about lightwave is making me emotional ... im about to cry...

best...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<g> I like the one on the right as well. If we could give it just a little bit of 'floppiness' in the animations, that would be perfect. But it will look great even without that.

Cool. And this should be pretty easy to texture...we could get it to Domarius to put in-game fairly quickly.

dear TEAM :)

oDDity probably we can give this floppy mood with Lightwave's SoftFX i think.. I can make it pretty quick that animation but i really do not know still how im gonna import the models and animations..(do your homework TYROT!...yes i will do it but i still couldnt find a second to follow the tutorials....goddamn it!)

But we can make this floppy stuff that s for sure..I mean everything can be floppy just like :) in BloodRayne..

"Hmmm flop me juggle me...comeon ..Garrett...mmcome on..."

"I cant Rayne im belong to someone else..."

"You bastard! still you are seeing that woman....right..! ...what was her name..Yes Victoria.."

"Rayne stop it...You know she is dead......She ..... is dead......ok"

"Then stop looking for her...Dont go that forests...and come here ..Look my boobs they are already juggling for you..."

"ok"

best

oDDity probably we can give this floppy mood with Lightwave's SoftFX i think.. I can make it pretty quick that animation but i really do not know still how im gonna import the models and animations..(do your homework TYROT!...yes i will do it but i still couldnt find a second to follow the tutorials....goddamn it!)

I think doing this in LW might be no problem at all. The real question is how to keep this in D3. Somehow I don't think that an imported animation will be ok for this, because it should be animated according to the players actions.

Gerhard

The only arrow model we don't have yet is the noise arrow, as I'm still waiting for the concept art.

I'll get this done later in the week, but you still haven't made it clear what type i should come up with. THe ball bearing thing, the clanging plates one, or something else entirely?

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

dear Team,

Im uploading a Bow ..After seeing springheel's great design i couldnt hold myself..I ll be making traditional English LongBow right after this message...:)

And yes Sparhawk, that s the whole case.. How can we import animation to D3. A guy in Doom3world.org was writing a plugin for Lightwave but It s still in development..But dont worry we will find a way....

Best

post-5-1102956608.jpg

Edited by TYROT

I'll get this done later in the week, but you still haven't made it clear what type i should come up with. THe ball bearing thing, the clanging plates one, or something else entirely?

People seemed to want something with minimal 'mechanics'. I think the simpler, the better. Like an arrow with a couple ball-bearings attached to the head, that break off and roll around on impact. But it's your project, so you come up with what you think is good.

Great-looking bow, TYROT! One thing...it will need one of those little aiming guides (the square thing you look through) on the side.

Great-looking bow, TYROT!  One thing...it will need one of those little aiming guides (the square thing you look through) on the side.

Well, I hate these things. :) That's why I was always annoyed at the range then the " big guys" showed off their flashy cmpund bow with all that bells and whistles and, yes, with this targeting window. :)

I prefer a real bow anytime. Requires much more skill and body control then these modern bows. But I guess we have to have this aiming guid, do we? ;)

Edit: If this bow is just for props, then it doesn't need this.

Gerhard

Yes, those bows are super TYROT. We can just export models to max or maya and do the animations there, they both have exporters. Mayybe by the time we actually need it there may be an exporter plugin written for lightwave anyway, but even so, all the charcaters animatons will be done in max anyway I think.

Heh, I'm waiting for the next version of FPrime as well, it'll be able to use shaders and post process effects, that means G2, sasquatch, glow, etc!! Though Fprime's motion blur and DOF is far superior to lightwave's anyway.

Steve Worley is a fucking genius. Imagine what he'd do if he were working on the lightwave team.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

dear oDDity,

Man i was really dreaming this for so long Steve Worley + newtek = realtime Rendering within software...He is really a genius. Although proton is not giving so much secret about it but i sensed that they are much closer than ever... We can really hear shocking news from lightwave side.. Actually they are already about to update the rendering ..in 8.2 Im eagerly waiting..

Dear Sparkhawk :)

Actually i was thinking the same thing.. I mean i never found any pictures or painting that archers were using a targeting device.. I mean may be we dont need it..in our version... The top of the arrow can give us a approximate targeting...What do you guys think?

I mean should we stick with Thief 1 - 2 weapons or should we change them little bit. Everything is fine with me....Im just asking...

best...

Edited by TYROT

I proposed the idea of not having an aiming guide long ago, but was shot down. I think the majority of the people want it.

dear Springheel

I think your proposal must be re-voted again. Yes in thief 1 everything was so much better with that aiming target but... I dont believe we should follow the same steps...We can change this little bit.. I didnt see any archer in paintings who using it..Only in competition or special events you have that much time to make all those arrangements.. In real game i dont believe it s that much necassary. If our thief knows how to use it, he does use it without any kind of helping device...

And this is not a Sniper rifle anyway...and this is not a modern archer game ..I think we should remove it.. If we remove it there will be much more area to targeting with the eye.. And I believe those burning firearrows, water arrows and noise arrows would be looking so much better..

My vote is ....let s remove it

best...

Because our Thief relies on his bow so much, I think it likely he would have such a thing on his bow.

And from a gameplay perspective, I think it would be pretty difficult to aim without it.

I agree with TYROT. I don't think any aim device is requied , not even a crosshair. THe crosshair stays in the center of you monitor anyway, it's not that difficult to imagie where the centre of the screen resides, now is it?

I generally what this to be a hardcore mod anyway, though I understand it has to appeal to your generic neanderthal FPS fan, who probably can't be bothered dragging himself away from shooters long enough to shave the palms of his hands, nevermind appreciate a good stealth game. Trying to appeal to this type of gamer is precisely why T3 sucked.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Good points, oDDity. We could maybe try it without crosshairs to see how hard it is?

You know, come to think of it, part of the fun in T2 was sometimes missing the target and hearing the broadband arrow hit pavement, then watching the guards get stirred up while you try to find a place to securely hide. Same with water arrows -- it forces you to be very careful, especially if there aren't very many water arrows. Sometimes missing the mark made it seem more realistic. I'm game for no targeting system. Anyone else in? I think it's worth a shot.

I still think we should keep the 'arrow zoom in effect' that occurs after pulling the arrow back for a couple seconds, though. I liked that.

Edited by Darkness_Falls

dear TEAM :)

Darkness_Falls i agree with you, you agree with oDDity, oDDity agree with me, i agree with Sparhawk....So that s nice that we will solve that little nuance about aming in arrow...So the member of this jury come and vote again...the Chosen ONE (new horizon) will be counting the votes..

And Darkness_Falls i totally agree with you about aiming zoom. It s necassary for giving the tension to that moment...YOu do see so close, you do focus on target...But you dont have your little tiny aiming device or cross. I think it would be hell of a climax moment..

Im re expressing my vote.....your honour!

YES for AIMING ZOOM...

NO for AIMING device or Crosshairs..

(at least we can try and see.)

BTW we really have to ask to Sparhawk. He may lead us to the light....because he said he was using arrows....

Best..

Trying to appeal to this type of gamer is precisely why T3 sucked.

I think the issue with the bow aim is not that easy. I can understand that most players may want to have a target indicator. On a real bow this is different. Even if you have a aim help it may not be really of a help. The reason is simple. There is some Zen in shooting a bow. :)

Normally when lerning to shoot a bow is all about body control. You don;t learn to aim with your bow, you learn to aim with your body. You need to learn how to place your body in the exact same position that you need to acquire every time when you target something. If you don't learn that you never learn to shot a bow properly because there is to much error margin.

And that is exactly the problem with our bow in game. :) We don't have that body and it would be quite hard for a player to learn it. Of course you can always play around with it, and still learn it, but the question is, will our audience accept this?

Gerhard