The Dark Mod Forums

New Mansion Pack Requests

Springheel

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...since we are mostly in interiors i dont think that we will ever reach the critical poly/frame so a damn barrel that is round wont kill the fps..even if we pile a room full with it(which we  i presume, wont do..)

i am doing anything gladly if needed but hey ..who likes to waste time?

we're creating a tool-set for FM designers and we want to provide everything for a thief-like mission. and thief (especially T2 for example partytime) has a lot of outdoor-areas. the D3 engine is powerfull - powerfull in small corridors like on the station on mars. I don't want to stress the engine just for a simple object like a barrel.

and if I can make a model, with almost half polys, that looks almost the same, so why keep the otherone ? I also don't like it, when things are done twice, but be serious - how long did the barrel take ? mine took me about 10 minutes and I'm not a experienced modeller.

and if I can make a model, with almost half polys, that looks almost the same, so why keep the otherone ?

they cant be compared since mine is another variation...and that one needs around that much polys to make it look smooth..while yours is another variation..it doesnt have so curvy sides so it can be made with less segments while containing the same quality..

while working on memod i allways tried saving every poly possible without! the sacrifice of quality, and i am tending to continue on that path:) so i would have made the variaton you request if you said that this is what you need:)

in a nutshell :

yours looks fine and nice with that much tris but mine would not:)

The barrels are all fine, I'd just suggest lighting the metal parts in the spec map to give them a more metallic look.

I thought morrowind could handle plenty of polys Atti, I remember seeing in the construction kit that a charcater in full daedric armour was about 5000 polys. I've never seen a higher poly model than that in any game.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I thought morrowind could handle plenty of polys Atti, I remember seeing in the construction kit that a charcater in full daedric armour was about 5000 polys. I've never seen a higher poly model than that in any game.

yes but mw was highly unoptimised and we needed many many objects/frame..

dont forget that for example a forest needs trees/animals/rocks/dead trees/bushes etc etc

yes but mw was highly unoptimised and we needed many many objects/frame..

dont forget that for example a forest needs trees/animals/rocks/dead trees/bushes etc etc

And don't forget that we also need AI processing power. I'm not talking about poly, but AI calculations done each frame. So every poly saved will give more rome for more realistic AI behaviour.

And of course. The more objects we can put into a room the more alive it will look. There are many FMs where the rooms are just empty blocks and that doesn't really help immersion.

Gerhard

Actually, unless it's a classic bread shape, I'm not sure that people would know what it is. I'd probably guess it was a rock, personally. :)

But will a bread texture be clear enough for a small object? Won't it make it just look like a brown rock? :)

Go Atti! You're rockin' with the models. I have a hunch the bread won't look like a rock once the textures are applied. Especially when FM authors lay bread on kitchen tables next to apples, butter, forks and knives :) Like NH said, it wasn't an issue in T2 and I think the shape was pretty similar.

could you quickly describe me how it works or point me to a site where i can find some help with it?

a bit hard to explain...it's a photoshop filter and generates normalmaps based on the colour of your diffusemap. so for example the dark parts are the low parts of the normalmap and the brighter parts are the higher parts (or just the otherway round - you can change that with the "invert x" and "invert y" - check boxes.) one general tip:

you should decrease the contrast of your texture before using the normalmap filter - other wise your normalmap will be very very rough ;) the rest is trial and error - it'll take a while but you'll learn it.