The Dark Mod Forums

Tyrot's Chair-sofa Pack-(wiip)

TYROT

All my words are gone..amazing..

i can imagine you cant wait to start making these lowpoly:) it will be damn hard i guess...

oh and some constuctive critism:) i wouldnt sit on some of those..some look really fragile..

Edited by _Atti_

dear Atti

The ones very thin legs :) the last picture i guess made with iron..actually these two are irongothic chairs..that s why i kept them very thin..:)

I know it will be hard to make low polys but i wanted to make them in normal LW way.. It s giving me freedom when im modelling...If i think low poly im having anger attacks...So for me it s better to remodel the object once i m ok with Hires :) I dont hesitate the make a low poly all over again... Instead of tweaking..

and I will fix the legs later on..:) The thing is im preparing spesific textures for each of them... So it will take little time but dont worry it will be better looking...This is just a shape upload...

BEST

Edited by TYROT

There are definitely some cool ones in this batch. I think I'll consider the 'desk chair' done, as several of these would work for that. :)

We're going to have to come up with some kind of naming convention to keep all these straight!

;)

TYROT, the Chairmaster. B)

THese are all fatastic yes, but there's too many now) It'l be way too much work and time to waste converting these all to low poly, UVing them and texturing them all, and we wouldn't be able to use many of them in a level anyway, these would be special chiars for certain rooms in certain buildings. That means you can make them slightly higher poly for the game though:)

We can keep all the sofas, and I think we should all pick out the 6-10 best chairs and you can convert those to low poly an texture them.

I gave them letters s we can say which are our favourite chairs.

post-5-1104661895.jpg

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

dear SPAR

I made 6 drab chairs after reading your post..I tried to keep them simple..(Just a basic texture on it...Do not look at the texture...)

And thanks oDDity for feedback and naming them....I was trying to give you options to choose..Sometimes furniture gives inspiration for level design...I m waiting for your favorites...

BEST

post-5-1104663072.jpg

Hehe, you see - those wooden chairs are all great, And the're already low poly. AND UVing an texturing them will take about 15 mintues)

You really want to give yourself all that work doing those 20 fancy ones?

I'd say a, c, h, i, n, p, u, w are my first choices, plus the sofas. That's already fgoing to be a pain in the ass converting all of those for the game.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I can verify the fact that making the high poly model is the quick, easy and fun part of the whole process.

The rest of the process alternates between hard work, boredom and frustration.

But hey, if TYROT wants to get all 30 or so models into the game, then great.

- Emil Zola

character models site

dear oDDity

I really want to hear other team members decision first..if they want all (i hope not :)) i ll try to make them.. I really have to come up with easy stuff..for low poly modelling i already made the basic shapes.

for UV s well, im really planning to get bodypaint.2 OR use extensively procedural texturing in lightwave' s layout and making a very basic UV (not so problematic) and use surface baking... (but im eagerly waiting for 8.2 ) I ll try to find a way making this process faster...

soon i will upload generators, keys-keyholes-tables and lamps..

Best...

TYROT, the problem is that you need very neat UV maps with as few seams as possible when using normal maps. The Uvs have to be laid out carefully, with hidden seams, otherwise the normal maps look terrible.

I use the technique of maiking a morph map for different parts of the object, and then manipulating the object into a more convenient shape like a cylinder or plain, and then UV maping it. It's much easier to tweak the object itself then tweak the UV verts, and you have more tools to choose from.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I made 6 drab chairs after reading your post..I tried to keep them simple..(Just a basic texture on it...Do not look at the texture...)

Well. I wouldn't really call them drab. They seem more like servant or merchant house style, mainly middle class. Now we only need some really drab one for basements, dungoens or poor mans environments stuff.

Gerhard

TYROT, the Chairmaster. B)

THese are all fatastic yes, but there's too many now).

LOL. Well. If he really makes them it's ok. No problem with having moremodels. Depends on how much time it will take though.

For normal and higher mansions I would se we can use those (f is doublicated so I mean the low footrest in the upper row):

c d e f f2 g h i j k o p q u w and the sofas.

For throne room style I think these would be good:

a b c h m o r u v.

Gerhard

If I had to pick my six favourites of the 'fancy' chairs, I would pick:

c, g, h, v (love the sword design), j and k (both fairly simple and could be used lots of places).

I like all of the 'drab' chairs. :)

Yeah, very good work! I think they could all be used somehow, especially if FM authors could map their own upholstery/design textures onto the upholstered ones. The only one that I don't really see working is "k" -- as it looks pretty 1960s to me. However, with the right FM texture/design on it, it could very well be used, I'm sure.