The Dark Mod Forums

Thief's den installing problem

agrash

So i've done everything you asked in the thief's den wiki but i can't make the damn shortcut work for some reason

If i rightclick on my 'copied doom 3' shortcut and past the correct line in the command line i get an error saying "that the name you've given isn't valid. Check the filename & pathname."

Check my prnt screen (i'm dutch..). I mean, i am doing this correct aint i??

23lcr68.jpg

My (working & correctly updated) doom 3 shortcut is:

"D:\Program Files\DOOM 3\Doom3.exe"

while my thief's den should be:

"D:\Program Files\DOOM 3\DOOM3.exe +set fs_game thiefs_den"

One more thing, i'm using vista & i have copied that 'DevIL.dll'. I even tried both folders..

Edited by agrash

you KNOW you just wanted to show off your desktop art and all the sweet games you got! :P

Great, now everyone knows my secret.

(There's 11 more games behind the propertiestab of the shortcut ^^)

Anyway, i feel like an idiot. Greebo was right..

And the demo was awesome, a bit short & some things need some tweaking, but hey i'm not complaining! The things you people have accomplished here amazes me

I even found the bow upgrade (a door in the street will open if you shoot the cat)

Oh before i forget, check out this guy ^^

Yes the old demo is cool, but you aint seen NUTHIN yet! When the full mod is released we'll have quite a few full size awesome missions, and with all the progress the team has made all the gameplay elements already work a lot better than in that demo too.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Oh before i forget, check out this guy ^^

It's just a lousy head wound!

(I fixed that in our internal build some time ago, by the way; arrows will no longer stick into AI heads unless the blow was fatal or the AI was already dead. No more guys walking around with their brains impaled on spikes. :laugh: )

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

It's just a lousy head wound!
True, i didn't used the max strenght for firing that arrow since he was chasing me and all

I just found it funny to see a guy walking around with an arrow in his forehead :laugh:

That reminds me, i shot the guard a few times in the body with broadheads and suddenly he starts to levitate way up in the sky:

1585zs0.jpg

16h10ts.jpg

(Nice work on the shadows, you can even see the shadow of the arrow sticking out of his body ^^)

I tried firing a few arrows at him and when he knows your there he would change location and throw something at you (what is that he's throwing anyway??), otherwise he would just float there. And when i gassed him, he just fell down smacking on the ground :laugh:

Edited by agrash

The levitatin thing is a known problem with our attachment system, where attaching certain items exert physical forces on the AI you're attaching them to. Most items work fine, but some like arrows and staves cause problems. I haven't figured it out yet, but it's in the queue.

To fix it ingame, just shoot in an arrow pointing the opposite direction so that the forces cancel out. :)

...you mean "already dead" like zombies? -- would be cool to keep it for them as a feature.

No, I meant "already dead" as in corpses. :) I hadn't thought about leaving it enabled on zombies but there's no technical reason why it couldn't be done. At least, once the attachments-causing-levitation bug is fixed.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Is there a roughly estimated releasedate?

I mean he site says:

Q: So, when will you be ready?

A: We can't say. Right now we're aiming for a beta-release by the end of 2008, but it's too hard to predict exactly when we'll be done. The term 'finished' is also misleading--we will be continuing to work on features and extra assets even after we release the initial tools to the community.

But does that mean the (full) game in beta or only some levels or something?

There is no "game", just a full featured toolset, which is no longer hoped to be released by the end of 2008, but now aiming for perhaps mid 2009.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

There is no "game", just a full featured toolset, which is no longer hoped to be released by the end of 2008, but now aiming for perhaps mid 2009.

Although there will be some demonstration levels packaged with the release, to aid mappers in their journey through Dark Mod territory, but as Komag stated...The Dark Mod is a 'toolset' for mappers to build missions.

Oh ok, first the toolset then

No, only the toolset. Officially, we haven't committed to a campaign...we 'might' make a campaign after we release the toolset, but that hasn't been decided for sure yet.

Like I said though, there will be a few stand alone missions released with the toolset.

I even found the bow upgrade (a door in the street will open if you shoot the cat)

Cat?? :huh:

Cat?? :huh:

Seriously, don't tell me you don't know about the cat? :rolleyes:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I know there's a cat noise, but you said "shoot the cat". There's no cat model that I'm aware of.