The Dark Mod Forums

Anyone want to recommend good email software?

Springheel

My email account got buggered, and I figured now is as good a time as any to switch to different software. Anyone want to recommend a favourite?

I use Thunderbird. I don't love it, but it mostly works.

Email is inherently crap, and no email client will ever be able to rectify that on its own.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

My Favourite is Forte Agent. It can't display HTML, so you are safe from most spams with malicious images and so on. Depends on your taste though, because some people find this quite minimalistic. If you receive an image for example, you have to click on it and open it in some other app.

Since I feel that email is text and not getting bombed with graphic shit, I like it that way. It's also a good newsreader, if you care for that, as it was designed for that purpose originally.

Gerhard

Another vote for Tunderbird. Its basically an alternative for microsoft outlook (though it might not be quite as bloated as outlook).

Its got a large open source community on its side so even if it lacks a feature that you want, chances are someone else has created it.

It will do all the basic filtering, foldering, multiple email account stuff efficiently and at the end of the day thats what really matters.

Annoyingly it doesn't have a minimize to tray option out of the box, but there is an addon for it that will allow you to have it running in the system tray all the time.

You can get it here

• 2 weeks later...

I can now recommend Courier which I installed yesterday. Years ago I used Calypso, a freebie that was flexible and secure (blocks html.) It was the best email program I ever used but when I moved to a new email server the smtp authentication wouldn't work any more. I searched the net then and found that Calypso was taken over by Rose City Software. They were still offering Calypso free but had developed it further and called this version Courier which was shareware.

Recently it occurred to me that hardly anyone can compete for long against M$oft so I searched and sure enough they've now made Courier freeware (one caveat is you have to register after 30 days trial and they promise you then only get a single promo email from them.)

After one day I think I'll be registering and continue to use this. Got just about everything you need in an email program and fully configurable. And you can import your emails from other programs (though I prefer to just leave them archived.) Search for Courier email but I think the website is rosecitysoftware.com.